The Good Old Days

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Smokin Joe, 17 Nov 2014.

1. glenn forger

glenn forger Guest

Eugene Christophe, 1913

2. Some nice pics there! I have the TDF 2003 centenary book http://www.amazon.com/The-Official-Tour-France-Centennial/dp/1841882399 loads of pics just a pity it has Lance on the front.

alecstilleyedye likes this.
  3. The Old Gaul. The first man to wear the yellow jersey, introduced in 1919.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2014
  4. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

tour de france smoking.jpg drinking_alcohol_in_the_tour_de_france.jpeg.png My two favorites..

5. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

Didn't look like the tyres/tubs were too reliable in those days!

Gravity Aided likes this.
  6. I've linked to this several times, but I didn't realise that it's an outtake from a short documentary, directed by Louis Malle! You can see the entire documentary, without subtitles on vimeo, and you can find a transcript of the text here. Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but the transcript has the explicitly dealing with doping around the 10.30 mark.

7. Nope, that was another reason Christophe didn't win in 1919. People felt so sorry for him after the broken fork episode and the p-fairy visits, that they raised a fund for him greater than the purse for the TDF. (Jean -Paul Ollivier, Maillot Jaune)

Cycleops likes this.
  8. palinurus

palinurus Legendary Member

Eugene Christophe. I think the penalty was of the order of 15 minutes but fixing the fork took several hours.

***Not quite: Wikipedia

"It took two hours to reach the forge. Lecomte offered to weld the broken forks back together but a race official and managers of rival teams would not allow it. A rider, said the rules, was responsible for his own repairs and outside assistance was prohibited. Christophe set about the repair as Lecomte told him what to do. It took three hours and the race judge penalised him 10 minutes - reduced later to three - because Christophe had allowed a seven-year old boy, Corni, to pump the bellows for him"

9. Smurfy

Smurfy Naturist Smurf

I've been up there. I think they try to discourage cyclists nowadays though. Too many crashes maybe.

10. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

Does that bike have gears? I cant see a rear derailure, but the chain line looks wrong back to the front chain ring
    old-tour-7-jpg.61882.jpg

11. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Looks like it has a chain tensioning device. Could be that it has an early gear mechanism that is changed from the top by back pedalling.

Like the one in the second pic here http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/photo-galleries/derailleurs-1.html

As you can see they were maintained by pouring hot tea onto them from a thermos flask.

Beebo likes this.
  12. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

13. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Used to have to reach down and change the gears manually, by moving the chain by hand.

Dogtrousers likes this.
  14. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Smokin Joe, palinurus and Pottsy like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Thanks for that, I've been after that picture of the three up sprint since it featured on the cover of a Madison Freewheel catalogue (How we ordered stuff pre internet) back in the eighties. It's now my desktop wallpaper.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice