The Great Escape 2015 - 200km audax - London-Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A great days cycling. Well organised by Islington CC. Though I could quite happily do without the return through North East London of a late afternoon.. that was just a crap ending to a good cycle ride. But.. that can't be helped.

160 miles for the day and I have sunburnt legs....

170515.jpg

Look Mums No Hands at 8am
look mums.jpg

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Nice to ride in a small but perfectly formed CycleChat group today. Good route, although they could have thrown in a few more pretty Essex villages. I'm not sure all the club riders knew what to make of an audax event - I didn't see a single one if them having a nap in a bus shelter!
Just to be picky, they could have thrown in more free coffee too. Or some free coffee.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It say's something when the freebies were gels and high5 tabs rather then donuts and cakes.
the flapjacks were very nice though... so much so that I had 2.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Flapjacks were nice though!
Special thanks go to the auntie of one of the Islington CC guys at the Great Dunmow control, who made the flapjacks which were a lifesaver as my supplies of pork pie, peanut butter and marmite sandwiches and fig rolls were exhausted at that point, and my Haribo levels were getting dangerously low.

I had a great day, and felt less knackered at the end than I do after some of my uber hilly 100k jaunts around the North Downs. Sure the last 15k was pants, but I knew what to expect there.

My longest ever ride by a significant distance.

So lots of thanks to @ShannonBall and every one at Islington CC.

It say's something when the freebies were gels and high5 tabs
What? What sportive witchcraft is this??? Warm beans on tepid toast, and limp sandwiches. Not these scientific abominations.

Edit: fixed the spelling, but kinda happy @ianrauk quoted it while it was wrong :smile:

Last edited:
Back and soaked the aching knees they are going to hurt for sometime as the return was 'Hellish for me got back to LMNH's at 20:50hrs later than I hoped but did manage to get the last train out of the smoke by the skin of my teeth 157 miles in that a with trip up and home from the Train Station.
Will sort out a few pics tomorey.

Good to ride with the CycleChat Crew for a few miles

Also huge Congrats to the Islington CC for organising this Top Job Lads and Lasses

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well that commute stung a little!!! Tried desperately to maintain a 15mph average and ended up with 14.8. Wish I could blame it on the headwind (there was one) or the traffic (there was more than normal on the South Circular) but I think it can safely be pinned on tired legs!!!

Top Bottom