The Great Escape 2015 - 200km audax - London-Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rustybucket

Veteran
This is very tempting - Im currently looking for a ride to enter in May.
just getting the OK from the boss - then I will enter!!!!

Rustybucket

Veteran
This is very tempting - Im currently looking for a ride to enter in May.
just getting the OK from the boss - then I will enter!!!!

Im in, Now entered - Looks a good one!

Will also be good preparation for the Wiggle Dragon ride, 3 weeks later - more time in the saddle than hills climbed thou!!!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'll definitely be planning to ride solo. As it will be the furthest I've ever ridden I want to be in full control of setting my own pace. If I happen to fall in with others who happen to be going at my pace, then good, but if not no matter.

Same strategy as @Dogtrousers. I know and have ridden with most of the CC people on the list upthread and no doubt we will catch up/leapfrog each other as the day progresses. And I'm really looking forward to the smiles and waves. :hello:

However, my personal experience with "groups planning to stick together" on audaxes (i.e. more than 60 miles) simply does not work when everyone has different abilities. A cycling club used to riding in a disciplined peloton can do it (though I hate to see that kind of thing in audaxing). 2-3 people who ride together often can do it. A larger mixed group, no.

At this distance, you have to set your own pace. If you haven't ridden enough of these kinds of events (i.e. timed controls) to know how to do that, then this ride looks to be a very good opportunity to learn, since the figure of 8 route with lots of support and bail out points gives you the luxury to experiment with something of a safety net if you need it. :okay:

Also - if you're new to audaxing and discover that you like it, you will find the ability (learned or otherwise) to ride 200km completely on your own (should you have to) an invaluable skill to have as you progress to greater distances.

Last edited:
Dogtrousers
Lisat
JohnShingler
Mice
Nigel182
Mark Grant
Redrider
Ianrauk
rb58
Velovoice
Martint235
Arallsopp
PippaG
You can add @Flying Dodo to this list! His very first official audax as a fully paid up AUK member! :okay:

Top Bottom