The Great Escape 2015 - 200km audax - London-Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelO

Veteran
I was half-considering cycling into London on the morning (22ish miles) - maybe that's being a little optimistic...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was half-considering cycling into London on the morning (22ish miles) - maybe that's being a little optimistic...

Far from it. That's what I'm doing.
That time of the morning for you should be a nice and easy relatively car free ride.

MichaelO

Veteran
Far from it. That's what I'm doing.
That time of the morning for you should be a nice and easy relatively car free ride.
I rode to the start of the Dunwich Dynamo last year (clearly busier roads in the evening), so it's definitely an option! And it's generally down hill into London ;) May get the train home though...!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Im debating it - however 200km will be my longest ever ride. Not sure I want to add on another 20 miles from Staines!

Well it's pretty flat from Staines to across town. There will be 400 other cyclists doing what is a relatively flat route. Take it easy and you'll breeze it. :okay: There's plenty of time to finish it and it's not like a sportive where the goal is to finish as fast as possible. So take your time, take in the atmosphere, join up with otrher cyclists and groups who match your speed. Take in the great route, take your time at the food controls to fuel up and you will be fine.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I rode to the start of the Dunwich Dynamo last year (clearly busier roads in the evening), so it's definitely an option! And it's generally down hill into London ;) May get the train home though...!

Don't give in even before you have started. Think ride.. think ride home... decide at the end rather then now. You may feel different.

Just looked Grays to Fenchurch Street will get to Liverpool St instead engineering works not stopping at West Ham Limehouse or Fenchurch St.
Earliest from Grays 07:08 Liverpool St 07:51 v close to LMNH's

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'm just going to follow you....:okay:

And I'm going to follow you following Andy...

I'm gonna be following all of you

Well, its a good job that the route is circular, because I'll be following @John Shingler.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Well it's pretty flat from Staines to across town. There will be 400 other cyclists doing what is a relatively flat route. Take it easy and you'll breeze it. :okay: There's plenty of time to finish it and it's not like a sportive where the goal is to finish as fast as possible. So take your time, take in the atmosphere, join up with otrher cyclists and groups who match your speed. Take in the great route, take your time at the food controls to fuel up and you will be fine.

Ok you've talked me round, think ill ride in to the start.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
With that many entrants I'm guessing that it would be as well to get there significantly earlier than the stated 0800 start time. Like 7am or something?

iLB

Hello there
Anyone planning to follow @arallsopp has clearly not been a student of the forum for long enough...

3498807452_33cb77ff39_o.gif

I might write out my own route instructions...

CA5nhdNWkAEJAtw.jpg

Top Bottom