The Great Escape 2015 - 200km audax - London-Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Better still, have some Guinness on the way round (electrolyte replacement therapy).

MichaelO

Veteran
It'll be my first 200km audax - what's better - packed jersey pockets of stuff, or pop the barley carradice on the bike? I guess a lot is weather dependant...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It'll be my first 200km audax - what's better - packed jersey pockets of stuff, or pop the barley carradice on the bike? I guess a lot is weather dependant...

You see all sorts on an Audax. From nothing to full panniers.
The weather is looking good so I am just taking a saddle pack and whatever else in my jersey pockets.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Rode the section from Epping Forest to Great Dunmow & back yesterday, about half distance. Countryside is looking beautiful. http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7872129 I realised afterw\ards the folly of depending on the gps & not reading the Route Notes too, when I discovered I had gone clockwise instead of anti- round the first loop, having turned right rather than left from Toot Hill Rd on to Greensted Rd at 34.7km.
Still, that's the purpose of a recce - to make mistakes there so that the real thing goes perfectly.... And I am sure it was good for my legs.

Last edited:

Rustybucket

Veteran
Im really looking forward to this - it will be my longest ride ever!
Im in 2 minds what bike to ride for this! Also what kit to wear? decisions decisions :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Im really looking forward to this - it will be my longest ride ever!
Im in 2 minds what bike to ride for this! Also what kit to wear? decisions decisions :wacko:

Well it's going to be a pretty good day by the looks of things. A bit of headwind for the return journey.
So bib shorts and (CycleChat) SS jersey will do me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm fretting about how to get to the start.

Ride there, and add a needless (and unpleasant) 12k to what will be my longest ride? Bad idea. Drive there? ... and have the stress of finding somewhere to park. Get the train? Thanks to Sunday timetables risk being a bit later than I'd like, which may have a knock-on of making me start late, and add extra pressure regarding time limits. Get my wife up early on a Sunday and ask her to drive me? A thousand times no.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In the scheme of things Dogtrousers, 12k is a pretty short addition to the ride and I guess it's all on the flat. London that early on a Sunday morning is pretty nice to ride in.
I'll be doing 34k to the start (and the same return) as am looking at it as a warm up/warm down

MichaelO

Veteran
In the scheme of things Dogtrousers, 12k is a pretty short addition to the ride and I guess it's all on the flat. London that early on a Sunday morning is pretty nice to ride in.
I'll be doing 34k to the start (and the same return) as am looking at it as a warm up/warm down
About the same ride in/home as me - I'm looking forward to the warm up...the warm down may prove less enjoyable!!

Rustybucket

Veteran
I'm fretting about how to get to the start.

Ride there, and add a needless (and unpleasant) 12k to what will be my longest ride? Bad idea. Drive there? ... and have the stress of finding somewhere to park. Get the train? Thanks to Sunday timetables risk being a bit later than I'd like, which may have a knock-on of making me start late, and add extra pressure regarding time limits. Get my wife up early on a Sunday and ask her to drive me? A thousand times no.

I was going to get the train - but as have said above that would mean not getting into waterloo until 8.06am
Im just going to ride in as well, an extra 32K - but will take it easy and at least there will be no rushing/worrying to get to the start. (does mean I have to get up stupid early thou)
Still deciding if I will ride home - more weather dependant!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I kind of agree with you now.

But I'm worried whether I'll agree after 11 hours riding as I battle a headwind and possibly rain and am reduced to licking empty Haribo packets for sustenance.

Top Bottom