The Great Escape 2015 - 200km audax - London-Essex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I kind of agree with you now.

But I'm worried whether I'll agree after 11 hours riding as I battle a headwind and possibly rain and am reduced to licking empty Haribo packets for sustenance.
Head off an hour before the start. Arrive relaxed, have a sit down and a pastry and coffee. By the start you'll be fresh and wide awake.

And afterwards? Deal with that then. i just spend 3 hours (!!) riding the 30km home after a 400.

rb58

Enigma
Head off an hour before the start. Arrive relaxed, have a sit down and a pastry and coffee. By the start you'll be fresh and wide awake.

And afterwards? Deal with that then. i just spend 3 hours (!!) riding the 30km home after a 400.
LMNH (cafe part) doesn't open until 7.30am I think

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Gentle 12km ride should take about 1/2 hour. So should arrive just as it opens.
1/2 hour? No way. It'd take me > 45mins I think. I don't average 24kph unless I'm pushing it. "Gentle" would be <= 20kph. Considering that this is through Sarf London so would have a zillion junctions to deal with (albeit relatively quiet ones on a Sunday morning) plus a ton of speedbumps and maybe a hill or two depending on the route chosen.

It's definitely the least stressful way. But I may live to regret it.

Yeah, I don't travel at 24kmh either :smile: I just assume everyone is faster than me.

Leave so you can comfortably arrive 1/2 hour before the start. You can even bring a bulky lock, which you can leave somewhere near the start if you like, though even old street is probably safe at 7.30 on a sunday morning.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've decided I'm going to ride in. If I do it nice and early and have a good sit down afterwards I don't think it'll make any difference.

Now I need something else to fret about. I'm worrying that I must have forgotten something but I don't know what it is.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've decided I'm going to ride in. If I do it nice and early and have a good sit down afterwards I don't think it'll make any difference.

Now I need something else to fret about. I'm worrying that I must have forgotten something but I don't know what it is.

LMNH have just confirmed. They are open from 7.00am.
But with 400 cyclists gathering I think it's going to be a tad busy.
It's not the biggest of places.

Top Bottom