The Great Helmet Debate

Do you regularly wear a cycling helmet (when cycling)

• No, never

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soemtimes

• No, but I am such a steaming hippocrite I always make my children wear one

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

alecstilleyedye said:
Arch said:
alecstilleyedye said:
maybe i could get a false helmet cam (a bit like a pretend alarm box on your house) that might act as a deterrant at less expense :sad:

It's very simple. You will need the roll out of a toilet roll, some black sticky black plastic, a few old buttons (small black, not brass blazer types!), glue and a few rubber bands... :?:

Mine was noticed the other day, by some lads in a car - I think one of them took a picture of me! I have to say, they followed me very sedately down the road, not racing for the pinch points as is the norm...

you are lesley juggs and i claim my £5 :?: :rolleyes:

But probably with smaller breasts? :8:

Jaded

I assume that anyone who can type this:

"No, but I am such a steaming hippocrite I always make my children wear one"

Also never drives without clicking into a 5 point harness? :?:

snorri

Legendary Member
As a utility cyclist, I am always concerned to see these "Do you wear a helmet" surveys as they tend to show a fairly high percentage of helmet wearers. Many of those responding will be competitive cyclists, for whom the balance between safety and performance is quite different to utility cyclists. Also off road cyclists whilst not necessarily competitive are more likely to fall off and may well choose to wear a helmet. From my own observations, the proportion of helmet wearing utility cyclists is fairly low, but it concerns me that when these surveys are publicised, the results fail to differentiate between the different branches of cycling, and there is an expectation in certain quarters that more of us utility cyclists should be wearing helmets too. :?:

Tetedelacourse

I recently wore one for the first time ever. I had to as I was taking part in the Etape Caledonia and so had no choice. I borrowed it from a pal. I have to say I found I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort aspect. I thought it would be much worse than it was. It didn't impede my vision at all and after a while I forgot I was wearing it and so can't claim that my sense of self-preservation was lessened in any way. It even helped keep my tete warm in the drizzle early on.

However, I will not be wearing one every day and I will not be told that I must wear one. I don't object to anyone else wearing one and my wife demands that my kids wear one. Basically it's horses for courses as far as I'm concerned. I just don't see the need for one.

Plus I agree with Snorri's point.

My views are well known elsewhere!

I did think that the "children wearing a helmet" being hypocritical is a little "Strong".

Children's heads are less developed and arguably greater protection is offered than to an adult with a fully developed Skull.

Secondly children tend to have the low impact, lower speed falls that helmets are designed to contribute to.

So the argument that helmets may be justifiable in children has more "legs" than the argument for adults.

Even so it should still be personal choice after the evidence has been read and not the emotive blackmail used by some authorities.

Have always worn a helmet (originally the old "string bag" racing type and for the past 20 or so years the "full shell" type), but like other posters here, would not wish to see it made compulsory. Personal choice is fine.

chris42

Toshiba Boy said:
Have always worn a helmet (originally the old "string bag" racing type and for the past 20 or so years the "full shell" type), but like other posters here, would not wish to see it made compulsory. Personal choice is fine.

Nail and head here!

Personal Choice!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Jaded said:
alecstilleyedye said:
Arch said:
alecstilleyedye said:
maybe i could get a false helmet cam (a bit like a pretend alarm box on your house) that might act as a deterrant at less expense :laugh:

It's very simple. You will need the roll out of a toilet roll, some black sticky black plastic, a few old buttons (small black, not brass blazer types!), glue and a few rubber bands... :?:

Mine was noticed the other day, by some lads in a car - I think one of them took a picture of me! I have to say, they followed me very sedately down the road, not racing for the pinch points as is the norm...
you are lesley juggs and i claim my £5 :?: :laugh:

But probably with smaller breasts? :laugh:
oops, how freudian of me
:sad: :rolleyes: :8: :biggrin: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

my head's still sore from its encounter with a bus yesterday morning. Had I not been wearing a helmet I'd probably be more sore still. That seems like a pretty good deal. And this wasn't the first such encounter (or the second). And it was ba long way off being the most serious

I'm against compulsion, but I do worry about cyclists without helmets.

MartinC

Über Member
It's OK, there's no need to worry about cyclists without helmets. There's no real evidence that they provide any benefit, it's a bit optimistic to expect 250 gms of polystyrene to provide much protection and hitting a bus is beyond the design limitations of a standard cycle helmet.

classic33

Leg End Member
To through some medical opinion on this subject. For those of you that remember the old style leather helmets, I was told that as they only cushion the top of the head they would be of little use due to the following:

1) Anything longer than the thickness of the helmet could still impact on the skull.
2) They offered no protection to the side or rear of the head.
3) They gave no protection to the face.

With these points in mind they said their use would be of no benefit to me.
At the time they were not talking about use on a bike, but when walking.

alfablue

MartinC said:
It's OK, there's no need to worry about cyclists without helmets. There's no real evidence that they provide any benefit, it's a bit optimistic to expect 250 gms of polystyrene to provide much protection and hitting a bus is beyond the design limitations of a standard cycle helmet.
Bit of a sweeping statement, what about hitting a bus at 5mph or 10mph? Things are not so black and white, there will be many factors that come in to play in determining the protective effect, if any, of a helmet in any individual accident.

Top Bottom