The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
Thy micturations are to me, (with big yawning)
As plurdled gabbleblotchits,
in midsummer morning
On a lurgid bee,
That mordiously hath blurted out,
Its earted jurtles, grumbling
Into a rancid festering confectious organ squealer. [drowned out by moaning and screaming]
Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles,
Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts,
And living glupules frart and stipulate,
Like jowling meated liverslime,
Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes,
And hooptiously drangle me,
With crinkly bindlewurdles,mashurbitries.
Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon,
See if I don't!
I think Douglas Adams may have been inspired by Lewis Carroll.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Interesting HHG snippets:

There's a second- hand bookshop here in Bristol in St Nicholas market called 'Beware of the Leopard' books.

Douglas Adams suggested the title The Division Bell to Pink Floyd.
He played guitar on stage with Floyd during the Earls Court Pulse gigs in 1994....on his 42nd birthday.
He changed the ending of Restaurant at the End of the Universe so that the gang steal a black spaceship destined to dive into a star as part of the stage act of the rock band 'Disaster Area', who are really Pink Floyd. they did a track called Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Should also add that in 1985, I hitch hiked around Europe with a battered copy of The Hitch Hikers Guide to Europe by Ken Welsh. It's allegedly to book which inspired Adams. Has the same quirky sense of humour too. I still have the copy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Worth remembering things like Hitchhikers when the licence fee is brought up.
And as Adams was a champion of conservation and biodiversity, I think the BBC Natural History Unit also deserves a mention.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
But do they do stuff like this anymore ?
I'd say so certainly, whether there's something that will go on to be as successful as "Hitchhiker's" is probably another matter, but there's plenty of stuff around on the BBC that would be less likely to air on commercial channels.
I don't know if Adams would have written the series without the BBC, I'm sure he would have done something or other, but I'm not sure the thing would have been as successful without the BBC's backing.

GetFatty

Über Member
Peanuts were 7p a bag (Barman: "Certainly sir. There you are, twenty-eight pence") and six pints of beer left change from a fiver. Different times! (Although time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so) :smile:
Although there is still the "How do you recognise a Lancastrian in a pub?". He buys 4 pints, hands over a tenner and says keep the change. How do you recognise a Yorkshireman in a pub? He demands his change back

Top Bottom