The Holy Grail of Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Took me a year to establish my backside is not Brooks(B17) shaped. San Marco Rolls for me on all bikes. Each to his own though.

wintergreen

Hi Wintergreen,

I'd be very interested to know how you get on.
As I understand it the 67 has the coil springs, the 72 has a circular loop in the rails, and the 17 has straight rails.
I imagine the coils have the most compliance, down to the straight rails having the least. If Brian, my mate from two doors down had not
offered the loan of his 17 I was off to buy a 72 today. I thought that it would look better on my modern bike with hopefully enough give
to be comfortable. I'll hold fire now until I've tried the 17, and heard what you think of the 67.

Cheers,
Paul G

Hi Paul.

I did about 35 miles on the new B67 today and it felt like it was made for me. I couldnt have hoped for a more comfortable ride. If it feels this good straight out of the box I cant wait to find out how much better it will feel once I have put in some high mileage.
The ride today was on varied surfaces, the first 7 or 8 miles were on a canal toe path, a mix everything from cobbles to dirt path, mud and stretches of gravel. The seat springs had just enough give to smooth out the bumps without ever making me feel like i was bouncing along. On the road the saddle was extremely comfortable. The springs never at any stage felt they were soft enough to use up any energy I was putting into the pedals while at the same time they did give a smoother ride.
I am seriously impressed with the comfort of this saddle. Its not a sleek, pretty Brooks saddle. Its about the biggest saddle I have ever seen but once I am sat on it, it doesnt matter what it looks like,

Hi Paul.

I did about 35 miles on the new B67 today and it felt like it was made for me. I couldnt have hoped for a more comfortable ride. If it feels this good straight out of the box I cant wait to find out how much better it will feel once I have put in some high mileage.
The ride today was on varied surfaces, the first 7 or 8 miles were on a canal toe path, a mix everything from cobbles to dirt path, mud and stretches of gravel. The seat springs had just enough give to smooth out the bumps without ever making me feel like i was bouncing along. On the road the saddle was extremely comfortable. The springs never at any stage felt they were soft enough to use up any energy I was putting into the pedals while at the same time they did give a smoother ride.
I am seriously impressed with the comfort of this saddle. Its not a sleek, pretty Brooks saddle. Its about the biggest saddle I have ever seen but once I am sat on it,,

I did my 1 hour lap of 3 villages with the B17 (very appropriate as this passes a wartime airfield where B17's were based) and although I was a little
stiff when I got off the bike this morning I have no after effects at all. I'm now sold on a Brooks.

Your post Wintergreen has now given me a dilemma. You have tested and approved the B67 but I was thinking of buying a B72, as I prefer the looks on a modern bike; but then as you say "it doesnt matter what it looks like". Both are wider than the 17.

This

b67.jpg

or

b72.jpg

HELP !

Paul G

The trouble with Brookses is that they have a finite life. There's the initial breaking in period, during which they kick your ass. Then there's the period of time during which they provide good comfort and support. And then - depending on how you treat it, how many miles you do, your weight and it's exposure to the elements - there's a period of time where the horribly disfigured hide sagging over a metal frame feels like an instrument of torture. That people routinely tolerate this final period of a saddle's life for many miles, if not years, never ceases to amaze me.

I left my B67 (I think it's called) out in the rain two too many times and it destroyed it. I ran out of retension bolt within six months and drilling and lacing only helped a bit.

wintergreen

The trouble with Brookses is that they have a finite life. There's the initial breaking in period, during which they kick your ass. Then there's the period of time during which they provide good comfort and support. And then - depending on how you treat it, how many miles you do, your weight and it's exposure to the elements - there's a period of time where the horribly disfigured hide sagging over a metal frame feels like an instrument of torture. That people routinely tolerate this final period of a saddle's life for many miles, if not years, never ceases to amaze me.

I left my B67 (I think it's called) out in the rain two too many times and it destroyed it. I ran out of retension bolt within six months and drilling and lacing only helped a bit.

I dont disagree. Leather saddles if not looked after can rapidly fail and quickly become so out of shape they become useless. The big problems start when a leather saddle has been left uncovered in the rain and then ridden while the leather is soaking wet.
A splash of proofide every now and then and remembering to cover the saddle when you leave the bike outside are usually enough to keep a leather saddle in good shape.

Right. That's enough of being indecisive. (cue for old joke)

Based on the principle of a coil spring being more efficient than a leaf…..

I've ordered a B67 and a large tin of cream. Not sure if this is to rub on the leather, or me. :eek:

zacklaws

Guru
The first thing to consider is the width of your sitbones before looking for a saddle and that narrows the field down. Don't go by names, reputations, reviews etc, you need to know the width, otherwise you can be on a goose chase till you get lucky.

The first thing to consider is the width of your sitbones before looking for a saddle and that narrows the field down. Don't go by names, reputations, reviews etc, you need to know the width, otherwise you can be on a goose chase till you get lucky.

I Googled this and used the " tin foil on the stair carpet method."

At least I now know how a turkey feels.

Paul G

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The trouble with Brookses is that they have a finite life. There's the initial breaking in period, during which they kick your ass. ...

lots of people say this... but there also seems to be plenty of people* who find them comfortable straight out of the box. I guess it's all down to how sensitive one's derrière is.

*according to many forum posts, and a friend

jack smith

Veteran
The comfiest saddle I have ever had is the one I use currently, rock hard Carbon, I definitely find that it isn't how much padding there is it is how it fits you, if your bike is set up properly that will help a massive deal too, best bet is to go to a big shop take your bike and try some!
image.jpg

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Aldi sale about two years ago had seats and I bought one for the Cube as the white seat wasnt wearing well in age or against my arse....... Bloody Aldi seat is great and has been transferred to the Giant :/

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Huh! What was that? A delivery van? Noooo. O well, back to sleep. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I should have gone to my LBS. I could have been back in an hour. Instead I was stupid enough to order from the internet.
A three week wait, just to save a tenner. What a fool I am.

Not sure if I'm allowed to flame on this site, but I dare say someone could "discover" what "cycling" site I used. :whistle:

Paul G

Top Bottom