The Holy Grail of Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wintergreen

I would be pulling my hair out waiting 3 weeks for a parcel. Im about losing my patience waiting for something I ordered last Friday.
I placed an order with a German cycling shop and an English one on Friday the 14th, the German order arrived on Tuesday the 18th but no sign of the order placed on the same day from the English shop.

I guess years of good service when shopping online have made me more impatient.

I phoned ourshopizshite this morning as they had told my wife on Tuesday that it had already been dispatched and I would receive it on Thursday.
Today (Friday) he said it's on my desk in front of me now and you will receive it Saturday.
I told him not to lie, and to refund my cash, but maybe not in those exact words.

Just back from Colchester Cycle Stores with a B67 after looking at the other Brooks seats they also stock.

And guess what? Just ONE pound more expensive.

Off to fit it. Bye,eeeeeeee

Paul G

wintergreen

I phoned ourshopizshite this morning as they had told my wife on Tuesday that it had already been dispatched and I would receive it on Thursday.
Today (Friday) he said it's on my desk in front of me now and you will receive it Saturday.
I told him not to lie, and to refund my cash, but maybe not in those exact words.

Just back from Colchester Cycle Stores with a B67 after looking at the other Brooks seats they also stock.

And guess what? Just ONE pound more expensive.

Off to fit it. Bye,eeeeeeee

Paul G

I hope you are having better weather down there so you can enjoy your first ride on it without getting soaked :thumbsup:

East Anglia is the driest area in the country so I'm told. Almost a dessert.
( Mother told me ten million times not to exaggerate. )

I've been on the adjustment ride. No padded shorts, just a pair of jeans, or is that too much info? :ohmy:
Stopped every half mile and moved it a notch until it feels about right and ended up a little nose high
and further forward than other saddles I've had on the bike.

Cheers,
Paul G

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
hope it suits you. I love my B17 on my tourer but find it less comfortable on my race bike especially when down in the drops. Dont overdo the proofide or you will soften the leather too much and shorten its life. I gave the brooks 2 or 3 rubbings with proofide when new now just very occasionally if it looks a bit dry.

The whole point of a leather saddle is that it moulds itself to your arse over time so initially you may feel like its a bit slippery , this soon goes.

I have probably done about 20 century plus rides on it plus several thousand other miles and it still feels great and looks like new (except the indents where my seat bones go).

good Luck.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
The trouble with Brookses is that they have a finite life. There's the initial breaking in period, during which they kick your ass. Then there's the period of time during which they provide good comfort and support. And then - depending on how you treat it, how many miles you do, your weight and it's exposure to the elements - there's a period of time where the horribly disfigured hide sagging over a metal frame feels like an instrument of torture. That people routinely tolerate this final period of a saddle's life for many miles, if not years, never ceases to amaze me.

I left my B67 (I think it's called) out in the rain two too many times and it destroyed it. I ran out of retension bolt within six months and drilling and lacing only helped a bit.

Interesting comment as I keep reading from people that have had brooks saddles for 15 years or more. It's safe to say these people don't leave their saddles out in the rain, neither they would leave their leather shoes in the rain and then speck them to fit as if nothing happened.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I'm a B17 fan, narrow on road bike, mainly for the aesthetic, standard on my other bikes. The niggle I have with them is the rail width does not lend itself to clip on wedges or my cateye light rail mount. My brompton has gone back to its standard saddle and to be fair, it is quite surprisingly comfy for my bum. I'm in no rush to put the B17 back on even now I'm heading towards a summer light set up.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I'm a B17 fan, narrow on road bike, mainly for the aesthetic, standard on my other bikes. The niggle I have with them is the rail width does not lend itself to clip on wedges or my cateye light rail mount. My brompton has gone back to its standard saddle and to be fair, it is quite surprisingly comfy for my bum. I'm in no rush to put the B17 back on even now I'm heading towards a summer light set up.
I used some cable ties to hold my topeak wedge bag to the saddle bag rails on the B17.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
... but there also seems to be plenty of people* who find them comfortable straight out of the box.

that'll be me
First one I had was a B17,then a B17 Narrow then a Swallow.All of them comfy straight out of the box but I discovered that less is more & now have a Swallow on the tourer & road bike whilst the mtb & tandem have B17 Narrow.

Top Bottom