The Holy Grail of Saddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From my searches on this forum there's no definitive answer to this, but it doesn't stop me looking.
My dream is that one day I will come home from a ride and be able to go out on another ride the next day.

I have a theory on the "gel" type of seat and that is that although they seem soft, and hardly resist a thumb
imprint, if pressure is applied over the whole area then there is no compliance save perhaps a slight migration
of gel from one area to another as you pedal.
I tried one out yesterday on a ten mile ride that looked like heaven, but by the time I got home I felt as if I'd been
sitting on a couple of tennis balls.

So this got me searching eBay yet again and wondering if a Brooks might be the answer.
I even bid on a B67 but was outbid, perhaps just as well.
The models with springs would perhaps look out of place on flat bar hybrid (Cannondale Quick) but the ones
without may look ok. The B67/8 are 30mm wider than the more common B17 I believe, which could be a plus,
but are the sprung ones a softer ride? I'm only guessing.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and should be spending my cash on a better pair of padded trousers/shorts that have a pad the size of a feather mattress, and tackle this from a different angle.

Decisions decisions.

Paul G

Brooks are a literal PITA and like sitting on a very hard thing..... until they break in when the comfort is second to none

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive tried a fair few and ended up with a fizik Aliente, BUT

I bought a new bike, cannondale, that came with a bog standard cheapo saddle. No problem i thought, i will change it over but decided to ride it on a quick ride, 10 miles, with no padded shorts.

It is the most comfy saddle ever, i am even thinking of buying another one for the summer bike.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Saddles are a really tricky thing as one person's comfy sofa can very easily be anothers instrument of torture.

For what it's worth, I've got a B17 and find it's the best saddle I've owned, but it took me a long time and a lot of tinkering with the adjustment to get used to it and it's still not perfect. However, it was good enough to enable me do my first century last summer.:thumbsup:

I've also had the Charge Spoon which a lot of people on here love and found that in my case it became uncomfy after 20 miles and unbearable after 40, no matter how I adjusted it.:sad:

You are right about the gel saddles. It's one of those things that sound like a great idea, but doesn't really work in practice - especially when you start to do longer rides.

Something that might help is that some bike shops have a device (nicknamed the arseometer) for measuring the sit bones, allowing you to judge whether a wider or narrower saddle would suit you best.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
From my searches on this forum there's no definitive answer to this...

of course there isn't... all our arses are different. It's just a case of trying out a different saddles until you find one that fits your derrière. Just because Cunobelin claims that Brooks* saddles are a PITA doesn't mean they are for everyone.... plenty of people are more than happy with their Brooks* saddles.

*other brands are available.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I've got a nasty suspicion that manufacturers deliberately make their saddles uncomfortable so that you have to spend,spend ,spend trying to find one that suits you.:angry:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
From my searches on this forum there's no definitive answer to this, but it doesn't stop me looking.
My dream is that one day I will come home from a ride and be able to go out on another ride the next day.

I have a theory on the "gel" type of seat and that is that although they seem soft, and hardly resist a thumb
imprint, if pressure is applied over the whole area then there is no compliance save perhaps a slight migration
of gel from one area to another as you pedal.
I tried one out yesterday on a ten mile ride that looked like heaven, but by the time I got home I felt as if I'd been
sitting on a couple of tennis balls.

So this got me searching eBay yet again and wondering if a Brooks might be the answer.
I even bid on a B67 but was outbid, perhaps just as well.
The models with springs would perhaps look out of place on flat bar hybrid (Cannondale Quick) but the ones
without may look ok. The B67/8 are 30mm wider than the more common B17 I believe, which could be a plus,
but are the sprung ones a softer ride? I'm only guessing.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, and should be spending my cash on a better pair of padded trousers/shorts that have a pad the size of a feather mattress, and tackle this from a different angle.

Decisions decisions.

Paul G
As a brooks fan I'd recommend the B17N and Proofide it as per instructions I've got one on my hybrid and after 12yrs and thousands of milesit is still perfect. I've also got 4 other Brooks models on other bikes and apart from my 2005 Swallow limited edition it is the best compromise.
Mind you if you ever fancy a laugh check out the 2007 Swallow L E on their website.

of course there isn't... all our arses are different. It's just a case of trying out a different saddles until you find one that fits your derrière. Just because Cunobelin claims that Brooks* saddles are a PITA doesn't mean they are for everyone.... plenty of people are more than happy with their Brooks* saddles.

*other brands are available.

I said until they break in.....

albion

Guru
I'm still trying to work out exactly why things are suddenly so comfortable for me.
I'm using an old 531 framed bike with its original Gel Tech saddle, it even having rusty rivets and tarnished chrome trim.

That amazing saddle is certainly part of the reason. Lets hope the gel never splits !

Ive tried a fair few and ended up with a fizik Aliente, BUT

I bought a new bike, cannondale, that came with a bog standard cheapo saddle. No problem i thought, i will change it over but decided to ride it on a quick ride, 10 miles, with no padded shorts.

It is the most comfy saddle ever, i am even thinking of buying another one for the summer bike.

I googled the Fizik and came over all unnecessary. I thought some new material had been discovered when I read that
the rails were made of kium. Perhaps some form of unobtanium or existium, but no. Some bright spark found a fridge
magnet stuck to it and all my dreams evaporated.

Strangely enough of the several seats that I've acquired the Cannondale that came with the bike is the best of the bunch.
Not comfortable, just less painful than the others.

Paul G

The search goes on.

I now have an old B17 on loan for a week or two and if it will just stop raining I'll be able to get out and test it.

I've always wondered what those slots are for in the back edge but I have now found a use for them. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Paul G
brooks.jpg

wintergreen

I have had several Brooks B17's over the years and have always found them to be comfortable after the initial first few rides. This time when looking for a new saddle I decided to try something different and have put a B67 on my tourer. First impressions are favourable, it seems very comfortable out of the box. Admitedly I have only done a few miles so far but I dont think comfort will be an issue. Its more likely to be whether the width will be ok for long distance riding, It is quite a wide saddle, more like a tractor seat really. I will let you know how I get on with it over the weekend.

I have had several Brooks B17's over the years and have always found them to be comfortable after the initial first few rides. This time when looking for a new saddle I decided to try something different and have put a B67 on my tourer. First impressions are favourable, it seems very comfortable out of the box. Admitedly I have only done a few miles so far but I dont think comfort will be an issue. Its more likely to be whether the width will be ok for long distance riding, It is quite a wide saddle, more like a tractor seat really. I will let you know how I get on with it over the weekend.

Hi Wintergreen,

I'd be very interested to know how you get on.
As I understand it the 67 has the coil springs, the 72 has a circular loop in the rails, and the 17 has straight rails.
I imagine the coils have the most compliance, down to the straight rails having the least. If Brian, my mate from two doors down had not
offered the loan of his 17 I was off to buy a 72 today. I thought that it would look better on my modern bike with hopefully enough give
to be comfortable. I'll hold fire now until I've tried the 17, and heard what you think of the 67.

Cheers,
Paul G

wintergreen

Hi Paul.

The B67 does indeed have the large coil springs.
Isnt the B72 a double rail setup? It seems like it would be a hassle to set up on a modern seatpost, I think you have to buy another part to make it work, but it does look comfortable.
Have you looked at the Flyer? Its a B17 with springs, it seems to get good reviews.
I have a 30 mile ride tomorrow so will let you know what I think, of course I wont really know until I have done a few hundred miles on it.

I did a bit more googling on the B72 and indeed, it would need a mod to fit it to a modern seat post.
However, not a problem as I make "stuff" out of metal for a living.

Let's hope for a nice dry day tomorrow.
Paul G

Top Bottom