THE HORNET Is Born! ICE QNT Windwrap XT DIY Bracket Install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WIGHTDIAMOND

OK, this will be my last thread for a while as "The Hornet" (as she's now affectionately known :biggrin:) is complete! Today I received a new Windwrap XT fairing from Icletta and set about fabricating a bracket for it. Actually, I made the bracket a couple of weeks ago for a cheap fairing that I bought from Kevin at D-Tek but a company hired to polish it burnt it accidentally and re-imbursed me with enough to purchase the new Windwrap as a replacement!

The XT fairing is 149 Euros by itself plus 10 shipping but with the brackets it comes to between 230 and 300 Euros. I figured I could make a bracket cheaply enough that would work and sure enough I managed to put one together for a total of £25!

HORNET-1.png

Made from a £5 18 inch length of M10 stud (threaded steel), a £1 25mm wide aluminium off-cut, 2m of clear 1470 3M Dual Lock, some nuts, washers and one of my wife's freezer tubs, this bracket is more stable than I anticipated and mounts in 30 seconds.

HORNET-2.png

This freezer container came in two halves and I simply reduced the height of each one, drilled a hole in the centre of each and bonded a washer to each one.

HORNET-3.png

The GB stickers are there to prevent people walking into it for the most part. If you look through the screen you'll see that the M10 thread sits perfectly inside the little tunnel that is part of the chain guard. It's held in place by two nuts tightened on either side. Loosen the bottom one and the fairing slides out in your hand.

HORNET-4.png

The aluminium strip is about 2.5-3mm thick and 25mm wide. It's strong enough to hold the fairing in place but you can easily mold it to exactly the shape you want. If I need to adjust the width of the fairing I can just reach forward, grab both sides and squeeze it in a little.

HORNET-5.png

Along the inside of the fairing and across the aluminium strip is 1470 clear 3M Dual Lock. At £14 for 2 metres it was the most expensive bracket component but I've used it before and it's brilliant stuff and worth the extra pennies.

HORNET-6.png

On either side of the fairing are two M10 nuts. One clamps the fairing and one prevents the first from releasing or vibrating loose. Then over those comes the freezer container which adds further firmness and just seems to lock everything nicely in place. With the fairing molded round at the correct angle the top and bottom halves seem to stay naturally taught without the apparent need for any further support. I'll be heading out tomorrow to ride with it so we'll see but from the feel of things it should be fine.

HORNET-7.png

And so, The Hornet was born! The wife and son say it looks like a proboscis, hence the name! :biggrin:

HORNET-8.png

Thanks for looking and goodnight! :cheers:

HORNET-1.png

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

Two things to add, just in case anyone else does this mod:

Firstly, after some great advice from a FB member, I've added a thick rubber washer either side of the fairing to help absorb vibrations and hopefully prevent the fairing cracking.

HORNET-10.png

And finally, I've added a second ally cross member across the top of the fairing, just to make sure it's firm enough in a strong side or cross wind. It's now pretty much rock solid and I don't anticipate problems now.

HORNET-9.png

OP
OP
WIGHTDIAMOND

WIGHTDIAMOND

Last small update to show some minor modifications I did to this one just in case anyone aims to build their own version:

Top Bottom