The horrible feeling of bonking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
These days I usually use malt loaf if I need to carry rations with me.
Yes, good stuff - can be squashed to fit anywhere - it always makes me think of plastic explosives. Seem to remember looking at the nutrient info on some recently and being surprised how (to my non medical mind at least) relatively healthy it seemed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you're still doing 15 you aren't bonking.
(or was that a barely disguised brag?)

Bonking is far more serious.

First time it happened I was struggling, feeling oddly sweaty, looked down at the speedo and I was doing something insane like 5mph on a flat road. I went for a lie down on the grass verge and my guardian cyclist angel took care of me - as I looked up in a daze I saw that blackberries were dangling above my head. Lay there for 10 to 15 minutes snacking on them and was then fine.

More recently had done about 90 miles massively loaded up heading for a campsite. Even though it was dark and I knew I was within two miles of the campsite there was physically no way I could carry on. Pulled over into someone's driveway and rummaged for the Lidl wine gums. Then was fine-ish and made it to camp.
Sorry maybe not bonking then but definitely at the end of my reserves then ? I do know after i finished my legs cramped up so much i could only lie down with my legs in agony for a fair amount of time .
I Wasnt bragging , plenty of people faster and slower then me and im in no illusion of my meager capabilities.

This may be of some help, or maybe not...

One of the advantages of growing up with type 1 diabetes (there were a few actually) was learning early in life how to fuel properly and, how to recognise the symptoms of hypoglycaemia (low blood glucose) early and treat it appropriately. This was particularly useful when I was doing every daft sport and activity I could find while in my teens and into later life. People with type 1 diabetes who exercise regularly can also have an irritating habit of being able to keep going for longer than non-diabetics of comparable fitness, essentially because we've been training for it most of our lives.

When we talk about ‘bonking’ or ‘bonking out’ we’re generally referring to a state of hypoglycaemia, or ‘a hypo’ (low blood glucose), that occurs quite naturally during or after exercise, particularly when we’ve not fuelled correctly. Symptoms can include weakness, lethargy, mild confusion, cold sweats and nausea and vary in severity from feeling ‘mildly frazzled’ all the way to complete lapses in consciousness. Pretty serious!

Thankfully these symptoms can be treated quickly and effectively by taking 20-30g of fast acting carbohydrate in a relatively concentrated form. This will generally have you starting to feel better within 10 minutes, but it’s important to note that it can take significantly longer for your physical and mental state to recover to a point where you’re safe getting back on the bike; up to 45-60 minutes depending on how severe the hypo was and individual’s recovery rate.

Dextro Energy tablets, Lucozade Sport Gel and plain kendal mint cake (white) are particularly effective and relatively easy to carry and consume while exercising. The mint cake is particularly good as it can be eaten quickly without water due to the peppermint oil helping to stimulate saliva production. Sugary soft drinks can also be useful but the carbonation can make it difficult to get them down quickly. They can also do interesting things to some peoples' stomachs.

The key is for the carbohydrate to be easy to digest and highly concentrated. For that reason many sports gels are simply too weak in concentration to be effective hypo fixes. And to be fair, they’re not intended to be. Instead they’re formulated to provide a fuel source for regular ingestion ‘on the fly’ that is easily digested during extended and relatively intensive periods of exertion. More concentrated forms of carbohydrate (those suggested above) can cause digestive discomfort when taken during intense exercise if not taken with some fluid to dilute them slightly, but, they’re a far more effective ‘fix’ if you get caught out by crashing blood glucose.

And, if at all possible, AVOID CHOCOLATE and dairy! The dairy and vegetable fats in chocolate and chocolate syle confectionary can significantly slow digestion and absorption of the sugars you need to fix your hypo. Some jelly sweets can also be difficult to digest and so aren’t as effective as you might think.

It’s equally important to note that post-hypoglycaemia you’ll burn through whatever concentrated ‘fix’ you’ve taken quite quickly, so it’s key to get some longer lasting carbs on board relatively soon afterwards. Something like an energy bar with a more balanced sugars/non-sugars carb count is ideal (Clif Bars still work best for me) or a sandwich, some pasta, a cereal bar or even some crisps or chips will help in a pinch.

I’ve avoided talking about glycogen depletion and restoration because it’s quite a complex subject and actually not that helpful to the average cyclist. Suffice to say that if you really flake out completely then it can also take some time for your liver to restore glycogen levels, leaving you more susceptible to further bouts of hypoglycaemia in the hours (or even days) following the initial ‘bonk’.

I should qualify all of the above by saying that I am neither a medical professional, dietician, or a sports nutritionist. However, I am an active bloke in reasonable health, in my early 40s and have lived with type 1 diabetes for >30 years. Any products I’ve recommend are purely the result of years of trial and error in managing my own health in a wide range of quite challenging situations.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
To you, maybe not. ;)

I'd say for anyone who's been regularly commuting at least 10 miles each way for a while. It's not a long distance, nor one you'd expect to need to eat before or during.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know.
But i've known italians who think like that.
Drive to the bus stop.
I kid you not.
You don't have to go to Italy to see examples worse than that ...

A friend used to live in a cul-de-sac terrace of 5 or 6 properties in Cornholme. There was a corner shop at the end of the terrace. His neighbour used to get in his car and drive to the shop, then reverse home with his bottle of milk, newspaper, whatever. And before you ask - no, he didn't just do it when it was raining - he did it on sunny days too! (And he wasn't disabled OR elderly either.)

I'm not sure which terrace it was, but it would have been like this one... :wacko:

Mega Lazy dot com.jpg

(I didn't believe the story when my friend told me, but he swore that it was true!)

Oh, I've seen the same sort of thing when I've nipped in to the Co-op in Littleport.

I'll usually go there by bike as it's only an eight mile round trip - so no real biggie. But the one that I won't forget is the woman in a big while SUV who drove perhaps all of a hundred yards from a house on a street opposite, bagged a few items and then drove home again.

How do I know? I was sat on the wall eating a sneaky ice cream when she went into the car park, and we both left at the same time. She overtook me and turned left straight after as well.

Ho hum...

On the subject of bonking - I never have thank goodness, although I don't often have the time to ride for longer distances. Though once I start to head beyond the 20 mile mark (less if it's hilly), I will take a banana and a bag of crisps. I do tend to eat three square meals a day, so am pretty well fueled usually, but a little extra is sometimes needed. On the flip side, sometimes it's just nice to find a bench in the sun, have a snack and watch the world go by.

Good morning,

Fair enough but it's not a very big but. 34 commuting miles a day plus no breakfast is pretty extreme.

I still feel that it's not something that is likely to affect normal people (by which, of course, I mean people exactly like me ;) everyone else being more or less abnormal). You have to put a pretty serious level of effort in to outpace your fat metabolism. Especially if you carry pork pies and PB&M* sarnies with you as all normal people do.

* Peanut Butter and Marmite.

Where I was really trying to get to is that it is easy to start off a ride with the glycogen tank half full or worse without really realising it. :-)

I was surprised to find out that alcohol metabolization suppresses glycogen production, I had just assumed, without thinking about it that they took place in parallel.

So if you have a light lunch, a chicken salad for dinner along with a bottle of red wine you could be in for a surprise. Assuming 10 units in the bottle of wine the whole dinner might have passed through you before all the alcohol is absorbed and glycogen production can start again.

Equally stopping of at a country pub for a couple of pints and a burger would mean that the burger wouldn't deliver any glycogen for the rest of the ride, unless it was a very long ride.

So this https://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens-society-bicycle-leather-wine-bottle-holder/ is not to be used in place of a traditional water bottle.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom