The "household hacks" thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
You’re extravagant, we just use the torch on our phones

Luxury.

cheys03

Veteran
If you live in a hard water area and constantly cleaning limescale from the loo etc, strong hydrochloric acid (sometimes sold as Patio Cleaner) is more effective, goes further and in 5L bottles works out cheaper than many “anti limescale” toilet bleaches. Beware use on metals, may react and stain.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Save on heating bills by knocking a hole through to next door and install fan to pull their warm air through.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There was a phone box outside a hostel in Oban with a queue waiting for incoming calls.

That was a feature of sunday evenings at Uni, queuing for the phonebox and having your folks call you back. One day someone's folks didn't put the phone down properly and all you could here was the watching TV and only the person who made the call could end it in those days.

Dave7

Legendary Member
That was a feature of sunday evenings at Uni, queuing for the phonebox and having your folks call you back. One day someone's folks didn't put the phone down properly and all you could here was the watching TV and only the person who made the call could end it in those days.

As a young lad (late1950s) we had a phone box on the opposite side of the road)......but we didn't have a phone.
It was a regular thing for people who wanted me to phone the box.
A passerby would answer, knock on our door to say "you are wanted on the phone" and I would go across to the box.......it was just the done thing.

Top Bottom