The "household hacks" thread..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Many years ago I found that you can save a lot of money on carpets by getting an Alsatian dog (sometime referred to as GSDs - but that is wrong just because)

Every few months you get a silky smooth new carpet of various shades of black and beige

and, depending on how you dog is trained, you also get new sofa cushion covers!

(I never did - except for one cushion that I never sat on - but it was not the dog jumping on the sofa when I was not around
no no no
the hair just floated up there due to strange air currents
must have been that because she knew she was not allowed on the sofa or beds
anyway - must have been so - because of the innocent looks when I pointed to it)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Save on the cost of a lawnmower by kidnapping the local sheep 🐑 once or twice a month.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Be careful to do the kidnapping in secret - people who kidnap sheep and then return them can get a reputation.

or so I've heard
(I did live in Wales for quite a few years !)

I actually do this. They manage to get in via my hardstand and I don't let them leave until they've done a good job.

On relfection, this may explain why the window-cleaner doesn't come around anymore

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Save on the cost of a lawnmower by kidnapping the local sheep 🐑 once or twice a month.

In our lst place, we seriously considered getting a couple of Jacob's sheep to keep the grass down in the "field" (about 3/4 of an acre), but we'd have had to rebuild a fair chunk of the wall between us and the church to stop them getting out, and just decided it wasn't worth it in the end.

DRM

Guru
Be careful to do the kidnapping in secret - people who kidnap sheep and then return them can get a reputation.

or so I've heard
(I did live in Wales for quite a few years !)

Once upon a time you got a free holiday in Tasmania for that

johnnyb47

Guru
These last few nights have been uncomfortable to sleep due to the heat.Ive got a small electric fan in the bedroom but it doesn't really help.I read about a cheap hack the other day and thought I'd give it a try.This morning I got 2 litre coke bottle and filled it ¾ with water and struck it in the freezer.Tonight it was frozen solid and placed it behind the fan. Lying in bed typing this out enjoying a cool breeze.Its really quite effective
Just make sure to only fill it ¾ then squeeze the bottle so the water pushes to the top then close the cap.When the water freezes it obviously expands and will push the bottle somewhere to it's original shape.Doing this reduces the chance of the bottle from bursting

Last edited:
Top Bottom