The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You know the expression "Never give a sucker an even break" ^_^

I'm really lucky that I'm easily pleased and a good English Raleigh or Dawes will keep me satisfied. It seems if you are into the exotic foreign stuff then the bike is only half the story. Once you've got that, then you've got to have all the right matching accessories, jerseys, shorts, shoes & water bottles to go with it.

That Bianchi water bottle, by itself, is three times the price I paid for my most expensive secondhand purchase - with a full 531 tubes, stays, & fork frame. There's some insanity out there. :eek:

It is a mad price, but not because it costs three times as much as a bike.

There are tens, no doubt even hundreds of thousands of full 531 frames out there and since most people who want a road bike (or an MTB or a tourer) want something new as a result you can pick something up for buttons.

I don't know how many of those bianchi bottles were made but I would imagine in the thousands, most will have been used lost, gone moldy been thrown away and so they are, no doubt, pretty rare and so you are more likely to find the one or two people who will pay a lot for the final detail to complete their "garage queen".

However it is mad because the price is way in excess of everyone's favourite high price bidon : the blue Contex Tour de France bottle which at anywhere from £50 to £100 was already crazy enough.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There are tens, no doubt even hundreds of thousands of full 531 frames out there and since most people who want a road bike (or an MTB or a tourer) want something new as a result you can pick something up for buttons.

As someone who grew up riding low-end hi-tensile framed models because I could never have afforded a 531 bike (nor could most of my peers either), I find the current situation where quality vintage steel is shunned by the masses rather bizarre. It's great for those of us who like such machinery, but it makes no sense at all that most of the bike-buying public are willing to pay two or three times more for a BSO!

roley poley

Über Member
had most of my fun in my youth on catch as you can bikes (not stolen) that shed parts like water leaning how to fettle on the fly older and wiser (tut) I find myself with three bikes and only one arse

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not old, but would you trust this 'repair'? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canyon-Ultimate-CF-SLX-Shimano-Carbon-Race-Bike/164134353751

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

tom73

Guru
I like the bit about "I carried out a full carbon repair of the affected area" makes it all sound much better than it look's :laugh:

Top Bottom