The "How much?" or "You're havin' a giraffe!" thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Ultegra 6700 shifters, if that's what they are, are going for silly money imo. It's because they break easily.

I've five spare pairs. Maybe I should sell some :whistle:
Didn't know that - that's a shame and a sad acknowledgement that this stuff is essentially disposible :sad:

I guess if buying a new replacement the standard 9sp is now Sora, which (rightly or wrongly) might feel like a step down..

But it’s not just any old Galaxy it’s a Super Galaxy.
Medocre Galaxy at best IMO :tongue:

Is it really 3 gen old - how time flies!
Still got washing lines me!!🤣🤣🤣
I guess so; 9sp and it's since gone through 10, 11 and is now on 12.. :tongue:

Jameshow

Veteran
Didn't know that - that's a shame and a sad acknowledgement that this stuff is essentially disposible :sad:

I guess if buying a new replacement the standard 9sp is now Sora, which (rightly or wrongly) might feel like a step down..

Medocre Galaxy at best IMO :tongue:

I guess so; 9sp and it's since gone through 10, 11 and is now on 12.. :tongue:

Is it not 10spd??

wafter

I wouldn't say things are disposable, as it's perfectly usable and indeed saleable if someone asks a sensible price for it.

It seems that STIs aren't readily fixable though; doesn't it? Presumably if they could be viably repaired there wouldn't be such demand for complete working alternatives as replacements..

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It seems that STIs aren't readily fixable though; doesn't it? Presumably if they could be viably repaired there wouldn't be such demand for complete working alternatives as replacements..

Ah I may have missed the point - was refering to whole bike. Agree its stupid and annoying to not be able to fix stuff

wafter

Ah I may have missed the point - was refering to whole bike. Agree its stupid and annoying to not be able to fix stuff

lol - I was talking about the shifters, but would absolutely apply that to the whole bike too in the context of decades. I still regularly ride a 36 year old steel bike that was previously nicked by smackheads, ridden into the ground and abandoned. How many placcy bikes do you think will make it to half this age before they go in the bin because they're no longer trendy / use NLA propriatory components / have cracked / can't be trusted as there's little cost-effective and reliable means of inspection for potentially critical damage..?

Jameshow

Veteran

Probably not as serviceable as dt shifters although as I yoof managed to make them friction free, along with a SA hub iirc!

Jameshow

Veteran
lol - I was talking about the shifters, but would absolutely apply that to the whole bike too in the context of decades. I still regularly ride a 36 year old steel bike that was previously nicked by smackheads, ridden into the ground and abandoned. How many placcy bikes do you think will make it to half this age before they go in the bin because they're no longer trendy / use NLA propriatory components / have cracked / can't be trusted as there's little cost-effective and reliable means of inspection for potentially critical damage..?

I think bikes are pretty good tbh in terms of reliability ok there were a few dead ends but on the whole a decent amount of interoperability and repairability.

Even on a carbon bike.

Once you get into integrated handle bar packages things take a dive...

I spotted an advert on the book of faces market place for a Pinnacle bike frame with gears for £32 in Bristol . The description states that it has great gears and breaks ! I've never seen rear seat stays like that before! They definitely have breaks !

Alex321

Veteran

Yes, I needed a whole new shifter when something broke in my 105 front shifter a few weeks ago.

Chris S

Legendary Member
@Chris S - looking at their other over-priced (imo) items it looks like they've added an extra zero. But even at that it's far too expensive.

The highest asking price that I've seen for a Raleigh Superbe is around £200. That was a dealer in Blackpool who refurbishes them to the same sort of standard.

Top Bottom