The idiots i encountered on my ride today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A pleasant ride on the outskirts of Blackburn, into the Ribble Valley was spoilt today by some downright numpties!:dry: The first idiot missed me by about a foot as he turned right at a major junction. The reason that he wasn't able to control his vehicle correctly was because he was on his phone! I pointed this out to him as he sailed by, which was met by an unpleasant hand signal to which i responded accordingly. The second idiot was on a shared path with her two poncey toy dogs. As i passed one of the creatures snapped at my ankle, so i gave it a swift(gentle because i'm an animal lover) kick. The third incident was when bimbo nail technician stopped on double yellow lines at traffic lights to go into this "beauty salon". She opened her car door just as i was about to pass, i expected such stupidity so i closed it for her with my foot. the fourth incident was the cyclist on another shared path, who although i belled him, and used my bugle horn he didn't respond. the reason being that he had head phones in. He was totally oblivious of my presence, even when i managed to pass he didn't respond. The fifth incident was when i was tailed by a car that although i was hugging the kerb to let it pass, it didn't. After about 100 yards of this i manoeuvred nearer to the centre of the road, only for the idiot to then start revving in an aggressive manor. Then just before the junction the idiot overtook me then swerved to turn left without even indicating. The last incident was the "cyclist" on the unlit country road with his fading rear light and in black zilch reflective clothing. As i passed him i saw a light in his hand, not a front cycle light may i add but a mobile phone which the idiot was texting on!:angry:

A nice ride spoilt by six idiots!!

sheddy

Legendary Member
I only counted 3 ?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I was stuck behind three idiots cyclists early this afternoon, in my car. Those three were just chatting away, taking the whole side of the road and completely oblivious of cars behind them.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
A nice ride spoilt by six idiots!!

Sounds like you're getting a little too wound up by stuff it would be better to just let go. Dare I also suggets that you may perhaps not be the finest ambassador for our noble pastime, especially not by booting car doors and kicking dogs and the like. That'll be a a few more folk out there muttering 'bloody cyclists' as you whizz past. If I were you, I'd consider maybe slowing down a bit next time, and perhaps say a polite 'good morning' to the dog owners, smile at the cute beautician and pass the time of day with your headphone wearing fellow cyclist (even if he can't hear you!) :thumbsup:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not related to Matthew T are you? :rolleyes:

Definitely cut from the same cloth :laugh:

reacher

Sounds like you're getting a little too wound up by stuff it would be better to just let go. Dare I also suggets that you may perhaps not be the finest ambassador for our noble pastime, especially not by booting car doors and kicking dogs and the like. That'll be a a few more folk out there muttering 'bloody cyclists' as you whizz past. If I were you, I'd consider maybe slowing down a bit next time, and perhaps say a polite 'good morning' to the dog owners, smile at the cute beautician and pass the time of day with your headphone wearing fellow cyclist (even if he can't hear you!) :thumbsup:

what is it with this dont anger the motorist stuff ?
i encounter more half witted and dangerous motorists than i care to count , the amount of motorists that try their best to get as close as they possibly can when passing is beyond belief , best thing he could have done was boot the door as hard as possible if you ask me ,

boydj

Legendary Member
i encounter more half witted and dangerous motorists than i care to count , the amount of motorists that try their best to get as close as they possibly can when passing is beyond belief , best thing he could have done was boot the door as hard as possible if you ask me ,
I'm not one for kow-towing to motorists, but two wrongs don't make a right. And getting wound up about stuff in the OP is just spoiling a good ride.

I'm pretty sure it makes good sense to most road users not to anger other road users.

It sounds as if the OP had a bad ride, made worse by the inattention or selfishness of others. It happens.

Many contributors to these pages have been cycling those very same roads for decades and are more inclined to let these relatively rare incidents wash over them. In the long run, it may be healthier to do so.

Many contributors are also motorists of one kind or another. It's understandable that an irate cyclist might think otherwise, but offering violence, kicking vehicles and behaving generally aggressively are not the answer.

There is a sense in some posts about poor behaviour from other road users that the OP is under the impression that all his or her readers will have precisely ten minutes' cycling experience and will find his or her rage somehow a thing of wonder and be staggered at these lurid descriptions of poor driving.

On the contrary, most of us have been riding for rather longer than ten minutes and some of us find it a little disturbing, a little self-regarding, a little paranoid and maybe occasionally all three that someone would react as the OP claims to have done.

Relax. Cycling is a hoot. It has been for as long as I can remember and I expect it to remain so. Posting stories of one's own impotent rage on these pages will not make the world a better place, will not bring justice and will enlighten nobody.

I'm sorry you had a crap ride. It happens. Get over it. :sad:

Top Bottom