The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
If we are staying local could the not returning to home rule be relaxed ?
I was considering raising that a few days ago, but didn't feel brave enough to ask. Entirely sensible. Slight challenge that a 'home visit' might generate the perception that multiple bouts of exercise were being undertaken, not realising that the stop was merely a break within a longer exercise activity. (Edit: I am aware that the law makes no specification about the length of exercise allowable, nor does it specify 'only once per day' - which appears in the 'guidance'.) I shall not rehearse here issues of 'local' being done to death elsewhere. I thought this tool shared in another place was useful:
https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
I was considering raising that a few days ago, but didn't feel brave enough to ask. Entirely sensible. Slight challenge that a 'home visit' might generate the perception that multiple bouts of exercise were being undertaken, not realising that the stop was merely a break within a longer exercise activity. I shall not rehearse here issues of 'local' being done to death elsewhere. I thought this tool shared in another place was useful:
https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php
Good point about 2 exercises it's getting tricky

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Good point about 2 exercises it's getting tricky
I think its just a case of being sensible. A drop off at home to pick up something to eat and drink and be on your way isn't a problem. The problem starts when you do a mileage loop, go home, stay home for a while and then head out again.

Trickedem

Guru
I will also be keeping any long rides private on Strava. I expected there will be 'journalists' scouring Strava and the like to produce a story about how bad cyclists are.
I was going to do a long ride tomorrow, but looks like there is a good chance of black ice early in the day, so I will probably just go out on my Gravel bike and stay off road.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
In these exceptional circumstances I would say yes.
I wasn't sure about doing a ton this month during lockdown, allowing a stop at home will make me more comfortable with it:okay: Can't go anywhere at the mo though, track & trace pinged me, so I'm stuck indoors till Sunday. The turbo has been getting more stick than normal & I'm looking forward to going to work on Sunday :laugh:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I wasn't sure about doing a ton this month during lockdown, allowing a stop at home will make me more comfortable with it:okay: Can't go anywhere at the mo though, track & trace pinged me, so I'm stuck indoors till Sunday. The turbo has been getting more stick than normal & I'm looking forward to going to work on Sunday :laugh:
You're doing a grand job sweeping the pack rides :notworthy:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I must admit, I'm feeling uncomfortable about doing a ton this month.
Than don't do it if you feel that way. There's always another year.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I must admit, I'm feeling uncomfortable about doing a ton this month.
You are certainly not alone. But for the moment I think I'd probably try given the chance.

The one personal rule which I don't think I've broken since the pandemic arrived is that I will only go out when my wife is available and willing to collect me. As she is a front-line NHS nurse working in critical care, clearly that takes priority!

I'm also dependent on her goodwill. I can't deny that last time I went out I hit the tarmac, so I can hardly say these things can't happen. My ribs are still quite sore and the consequences could have been more serious.

For the first time this year the weather looks just about perfect this coming Friday, but that is one day I definitely can't go. Good luck to anyone who can. :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I was already planning to call a halt to my participation this year- ten years seemed like an apt time to stop- and frankly, starting again after the fail a few weeks back seems more like a drudge than a challenge. I haven't actually ridden since, which is terrible I know (work,weather, or both, basically). I might however do 'twelve centuries in a year'.

steverob

Guru
I was already planning to call a halt to my participation this year- ten years seemed like an apt time to stop- and frankly, starting again after the fail a few weeks back seems more like a drudge than a challenge. I haven't actually ridden since, which is terrible I know (work,weather, or both, basically). I might however do 'twelve centuries in a year'.
Make it thirteen and you can join the Lunacy thread!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Using THIS website which can work out a Mileage/KM radius from a point. I'm, looking at no more than 20 miles furthest from home for this months ride. I am also lucky that my partner can be on standby to pick me up if any unfortunate whatever happens.
I will be doing two different loops. Stopping at home after loop one for a cuppa and snack before heading out again.
This way I'll be on my own the whole ride with no need to visit any shops or premises apart from my own.

For those that are not doing rides during this time. It's wholly understandable and hope you'll be back in the challenge in better times.

Top Bottom