The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
2020 challenge all done and dusted.
I collected my 10th gold star yesterday with a tier 4 ride with @Trickedem , who earned his 10th last week..
Myself, Tim and @rb58 started off this challenge 10 years ago. I don't think we thought we'd be still doing the challenge 10 years later.

It was a very rainy start at 6.45am but luckily it stopped soon after I left to meet Tim. I was heading east and so was the rain, I was lucky, Tim not so, he was heading west, into the rain. 8am and a quick coffee at the agreed meet stop. The rain had now stopped and it promised to be a nice-ish day. It was mostly, only having to suffer a couple of short, sharp downpours, but blue skies appeared and we had a smattering of sun.

We did have a planned route but as Tim had already done his 100 miler for the month he was only doing a shorter loop so we decided to change our original plans and follow our noses, with Tim grabbing a few velo viewer tiles for good measure.
At 65 miles we parted ways at Rochester and I made my way home, adding in few local loops to make sure I got the 100.

Tim gave me a pressie. This brilliant framed picture. It's now standing very proudly on our lounge sideboard. A lovely gesture. Thanks Tim.

Its only a few days until 2021.. let the challenge continue :okay:

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
2020 challenge all done and dusted.
I collected my 10th gold star yesterday with a tier 4 ride with @Trickedem , who earned his 10th last week..
Myself, Tim and @rb58 started off this challenge 10 years ago. I don't think we thought we'd be still doing the challenge 10 years later.

It was a very rainy start at 6.45am but luckily it stopped soon after I left to meet Tim. I was heading east and so was the rain, I was lucky, Tim not so, he was heading west, into the rain. 8am and a quick coffee at the agreed meet stop. The rain had now stopped and it promised to be a nice-ish day. It was mostly, only having to suffer a couple of short, sharp downpours, but blue skies appeared and we had a smattering of sun.
View attachment 564339
We did have a planned route but as Tim had already done his 100 miler for the month he was only doing a shorter loop so we decided to change our original plans and follow our noses, with Tim grabbing a few velo viewer tiles for good measure.
At 65 miles we parted ways at Rochester and I made my way home, adding in few local loops to make sure I got the 100.

Tim gave me a pressie. This brilliant framed picture. It's now standing very proudly on our lounge sideboard. A lovely gesture. Thanks Tim.
View attachment 564338

Its only a few days until 2021.. let the challenge continue :okay:
Very nice ride yesterday. Hard to believe we've been doing this for 10 years. I was going to bow out for 2021, but have decided I will keep going.

Tribansman

Veteran
Congratulations on ten years @ianrauk :bravo::bravo:

Racking up 10 years is a brilliant achievement, not least avoiding any serious injuries that would require an eight week lay off in all that time.

I know I've only just started but I'm hoping I can get there or at least close...and persuade my lad to join me for years 9 and 10!

I had already bagged December's but wanted to go out today to 'top and tail' the double century I did on the sunny summer solstice weekend. The conditions couldn't have been more different! I only had the morning free so set off at 4am in rain and annoyingly gusty wind that only stopped the last hour of the ride. My new jacket kept all the rain out so chuffed with that. Although the last 10 miles were a real struggle, I think the combination of the effort to stay warm, what felt like a constant head/cross wind and having to concentrate on the wet and dark roads for the first very dark 3.5 hours really took it out of me.

Still, was home by 11 and a nice hot shower sorted me out. Weather looking slightly more encouraging for the Rapha 500 🤞

Trickedem

Guru
Racking up 10 years is a brilliant achievement, not least avoiding any serious injuries that would require an eight week lay off in all that time.

I know I've only just started but I'm hoping I can get there or at least close...and persuade my lad to join me for years 9 and 10!

I had already bagged December's but wanted to go out today to 'top and tail' the double century I did on the sunny summer solstice weekend. The conditions couldn't have been more different! I only had the morning free so set off at 4am in rain and annoyingly gusty wind that only stopped the last hour of the ride. My new jacket kept all the rain out so chuffed with that. Although the last 10 miles were a real struggle, I think the combination of the effort to stay warm, what felt like a constant head/cross wind and having to concentrate on the wet and dark roads for the first very dark 3.5 hours really took it out of me.

Still, was home by 11 and a nice hot shower sorted me out. Weather looking slightly more encouraging for the Rapha 500 🤞
It's been a close run thing. I had a knee injury in 2017 doing LEL and didn't do my August Century until the 29th. Then I did the September one two days later. Then in October 2018 I crashed at the velodrome and got a bad AC joint injury. Fortunately I had done a century at the beginning of the month and was able to ride properly again by mid Nov. I know that @ianrauk has had a least one injury that was quite bad. I suppose there has been some luck involved.:rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry to hear that @StuAff . You had a great run and there's always another year.

Tribansman

Veteran
So close @StuAff

Wise not to endure crappy weather and risk getting run down. Weather forecast may change though, and no chance of sneaking an extra day off work in case Weds or Thurs better?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
TBH, I was kind of getting fed up with the treadmill anyway. December is always difficult because of the four letter word. Weekends tend to have rain/freezing temperatures/wind/all of the above. And no, I wouldn't bunk off to get a century in. Yes, annoyed at not getting the ninth straight year, but not that annoyed.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm out. Weather forecast tomorrow looks decidedly iffy, wind speeds building all day. Sunday and Monday both worse (rain, sleet). I'd rather accept 'defeat' than go out and suffer like the other week…Ho hum, it's been a good run.
Are you sure it's really that impossible? Looking at the Met Office forecast, I agree with your assessment of Sunday and Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday (which is still only the 30th) look decidedly possible, if perhaps a bit windier in the far south than up here.

All my friends and family want me to do it and I can't imagine not at least starting an attempt. I've let Audax go for the time being so I don't need to consider anything beyond the bare 100 - let's say 101 to be completely sure.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Are you sure it's really that impossible? Looking at the Met Office forecast, I agree with your assessment of Sunday and Monday, but Tuesday and Wednesday (which is still only the 30th) look decidedly possible, if perhaps a bit windier in the far south than up here.

All my friends and family want me to do it and I can't imagine not at least starting an attempt. I've let Audax go for the time being so I don't need to consider anything beyond the bare 100 - let's say 101 to be completely sure.
Working days, so no…

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Gutted for you @StuAff :sad: but looking at the forecast here I doubt I'll be out on the road again this year, last time I came off on ice, I was off the bike for 2 weeks & I cant bear that again. Always next year mate :okay:

Trickedem

Guru
I'm out. Weather forecast tomorrow looks decidedly iffy, wind speeds building all day. Sunday and Monday both worse (rain, sleet). I'd rather accept 'defeat' than go out and suffer like the other week…Ho hum, it's been a good run.
Sorry to hear this @StuAff after battling through the year. Tuesday onwards looks a bit better, but I suppose you are back at work.

Top Bottom