The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done @Supersuperleeds :cheers:

New good star for you
1606920302671.png

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Cheers, added it ^_^

Tribansman

Veteran
Done 🥳

Struggled today. Was tired when I set off and never really got going. The ever present fog also limited the restorative power of pleasant views and exploring new roads. Still, glad I got out and was a decent ride all in all.

Headed down to the fringes of the M25 and criss crossed A1 and M1 all day. Took in Potters Bar, Radlett, Watford, Hemel, St Albans, Hatfield, Hertford and Stevenage and a bit of nice climbing on the edge of the Chilterns. Nearly got taken out by an enormous hawk as it flew across my path chasing a blackbird! Apart from that and at least a dozen close passes, pretty uneventful ride.

Was a cloyingly damp day but just about managed to stay warm. And although the fog gave terrible visibility, was really atmospheric.

Finished the ride at my lad's school to pick him up and we then cycled the 10 miles home. He's only just turned 7 so decent effort from the lad, although he was riding at an intensity to stay warm-ish, apart from numb fingers; by the time we got home I was to-the-bones cold. Some hot chocolate and a tray full of chips sorted us out though.

We spent the ride home talking about his first century, which he wants to do before he's 9 :eek:. He has cycled just under 1,000 miles this year (35 is his furthest) and loves being on the bike, but think we're likely to face stiff opposition (probably quite rightly) from my other half 😂

Really pleased to have completed the challenge, esp with all the other stuff going on this year.

Trickedem

Guru
@ianrauk and I were due to go on Sunday. This meant both of us leaving the house at 6.30am. I was up at 5.45 and it was absolutely pouring down and the temperature was about 3-4 degrees. Common sense prevailed however and after a quick phone call we decided to postpone the ride. After going back to bed, then having a nice cooked breakfast about 10am it was still raining outside. So definitely the right decision!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@ianrauk and I were due to go on Sunday. This meant both of us leaving the house at 6.30am. I was up at 5.45 and it was absolutely pouring down and the temperature was about 3-4 degrees. Common sense prevailed however and after a quick phone call we decided to postpone the ride. After going back to bed, then having a nice cooked breakfast about 10am it was still raining outside. So definitely the right decision!
I was out on a bike at 6am Thursday. Got home at 11.30 and it hadn't stopped raining. Still raining when I went to work. Fortunately the bike in question was 395cc, has a very large windcreen and nice big fairing, plus the rider was wearing a rain suit :smile:

This weekend looks rather better....

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I thought maybe I ought to check in. It's been a while. Well done to everyone who's completed in this godforsaken year.

I've recently been put on a heavy dose of diazepam which on the face of it rules out anything with machinery, including bikes, for the time being. I'm enjoying a lucid phase at the moment and the thought that cycling as I have always known it is something I can experience again is a warm one. Actually I generally prefer the cold.

Yesterday the visiting doctor noted the bike in the hallway and asked if it was mine - as if there would have been any doubt. He said that despite everything I still ought to be walking and cycling with suitable safeguards. I thought of suggesting that meant I should keep things short - no more than 100 miles perhaps? With limited time, that might have deflected the conversation away from more important matters.

At the moment the last week looks like the only one I can hope to aspire to for ride number twelve and a fifth star. A good thing that I'm even talking about it maybe. :hello:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Failed attempt today. Planned to do Salisbury and back. Have just got a new-to-me eTrex 30x, and unfortunately put the route file in the wrong format (unlike my Edge 705- seemingly deceased- it can't do turn-by-turn from a GPX track, unless I've missed something). That was one problem- Salisbury has a lot of 'wrong' ways in and out by bike- but more important I was really slow all day, and evening. Average didn't hit 10 mph, ever, so it made for a very, very tedious ride. Rather than keep on to Salisbury, I turned back and ended up doing the last stretch up and down round Southsea- but two more hours of that would have been ridiculous. Oh, and I seemed to be suffering from chafing to boot. 75 miles in the end, back at half five after being out before nine. Next weekend not looking good, so if it gets done it might be another Bank Holiday special…

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Failed attempt today. Planned to do Salisbury and back. Have just got a new-to-me eTrex 30x, and unfortunately put the route file in the wrong format (unlike my Edge 705- seemingly deceased- it can't do turn-by-turn from a GPX track, unless I've missed something). That was one problem- Salisbury has a lot of 'wrong' ways in and out by bike- but more important I was really slow all day, and evening. Average didn't hit 10 mph, ever, so it made for a very, very tedious ride. Rather than keep on to Salisbury, I turned back and ended up doing the last stretch up and down round Southsea- but two more hours of that would have been ridiculous. Oh, and I seemed to be suffering from chafing to boot. 75 miles in the end, back at half five after being out before nine. Next weekend not looking good, so if it gets done it might be another Bank Holiday special…
Sympatico Stu. Salisbury is a bizarrely difficult place to enter and leave on a bike. I usually come in via Old Sarum but the stretch after Porton Down to Old Sarum is a bit of a B-road racetrack. South east I go past the Godolphin school, along that dodgy bit of A36 just before the dual-carriageway and then schlep out to Alderbury. In either case, giggles are in short supply.

Top Bottom