The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Failed attempt today. Planned to do Salisbury and back. Have just got a new-to-me eTrex 30x, and unfortunately put the route file in the wrong format (unlike my Edge 705- seemingly deceased- it can't do turn-by-turn from a GPX track, unless I've missed something). That was one problem- Salisbury has a lot of 'wrong' ways in and out by bike- but more important I was really slow all day, and evening. Average didn't hit 10 mph, ever, so it made for a very, very tedious ride. Rather than keep on to Salisbury, I turned back and ended up doing the last stretch up and down round Southsea- but two more hours of that would have been ridiculous. Oh, and I seemed to be suffering from chafing to boot. 75 miles in the end, back at half five after being out before nine. Next weekend not looking good, so if it gets done it might be another Bank Holiday special…
Sorry to hear this Stu. A few weeks of December left to get another ride done and sure you will.

Trickedem

Guru
I thought maybe I ought to check in. It's been a while. Well done to everyone who's completed in this godforsaken year.

I've recently been put on a heavy dose of diazepam which on the face of it rules out anything with machinery, including bikes, for the time being. I'm enjoying a lucid phase at the moment and the thought that cycling as I have always known it is something I can experience again is a warm one. Actually I generally prefer the cold.

Yesterday the visiting doctor noted the bike in the hallway and asked if it was mine - as if there would have been any doubt. He said that despite everything I still ought to be walking and cycling with suitable safeguards. I thought of suggesting that meant I should keep things short - no more than 100 miles perhaps? With limited time, that might have deflected the conversation away from more important matters.

At the moment the last week looks like the only one I can hope to aspire to for ride number twelve and a fifth star. A good thing that I'm even talking about it maybe. :hello:
Good on you. I hope you can get out.

Trickedem

Guru
Failed attempt today. Planned to do Salisbury and back. Have just got a new-to-me eTrex 30x, and unfortunately put the route file in the wrong format (unlike my Edge 705- seemingly deceased- it can't do turn-by-turn from a GPX track, unless I've missed something). That was one problem- Salisbury has a lot of 'wrong' ways in and out by bike- but more important I was really slow all day, and evening. Average didn't hit 10 mph, ever, so it made for a very, very tedious ride. Rather than keep on to Salisbury, I turned back and ended up doing the last stretch up and down round Southsea- but two more hours of that would have been ridiculous. Oh, and I seemed to be suffering from chafing to boot. 75 miles in the end, back at half five after being out before nine. Next weekend not looking good, so if it gets done it might be another Bank Holiday special…
The eTrex is good, but doesn't really do turn by turn. I just load the track up and follow the pink line. But I also have another gps to do the turn by turn. Hopefully you can get out soon and complete another year.

robjh

Legendary Member
Just completed year #2 of century-a-month rides. It was a glorious sunny mid-winter day and quite mild for December, but with a whipping wind from the south - so I headed north and did my 110 miles one-way and got a train home.

Just updated my year's map and it looks like a large insect has settled over the south-east, and is spreading its legs out over the country whilst sitting on London and sucking the life blood out of Cambridge
1607982603290.png

Trickedem

Guru
Just completed year #2 of century-a-month rides. It was a glorious sunny mid-winter day and quite mild for December, but with a whipping wind from the south - so I headed north and did my 110 miles one-way and got a train home.

Just updated my year's map and it looks like a large insect has settled over the south-east, and is spreading its legs out over the country whilst sitting on London and sucking the life blood out of Cambridge
View attachment 563403
Well done @robjh

Trickedem

Guru
I completed my century ride on Saturday. I had planned to go out the previous weekend with @ianrauk but the weather was so bad we did a rain check. The ride marks 10 whole calendar years of doing this challenge so I was apprehensive and wanted to get this done as early in the month as possible, unfortunately Ian was otherwise engaged, so we couldn't tick this off together as we would both have liked to have done. Although it didn't rain the roads were absolutely filthy and idiot boy thought it would be a good idea to use the summer bike with no mudguards! My route was a bit convoluted and hilly as I have now started the madness of veloviewer tile bagging, but worthwhile as I increased my maximum square by one to 18x18. As we are in tier 3 there was no cafe stop, but I did have a coffee at a petrol station, which was a reasonable substitute considering.
dec-2020 ride.jpg

As you can see, most of my century rides this year have been local, with one exception where I was able to ride down to Watford from Hinckley. So another year beckons, although I feel that the pressure is off a bit now I have reached the 10 year milestone.
2020 rides.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The eTrex is good, but doesn't really do turn by turn. I just load the track up and follow the pink line. But I also have another gps to do the turn by turn. Hopefully you can get out soon and complete another year.

It can do turn by turn on routes but it is so damn slow at calculating you may as well not bother. Simple pre planned tracks on a map is its forte.

Trickedem

Guru
It can do turn by turn on routes but it is so damn slow at calculating you may as well not bother. Simple pre planned tracks on a map is its forte.
I must admit, I didn't realise you could get it to do turn by turn on an etrex. I have just retired my 800 which was absolutely rock solid at doing tbt so it was never needed. I now have an Edge Explore which does tbt, although not as well as the 800 which was 10 years old. Garmin, make good hardware but crap software!

Trickedem

Guru
I completed my century ride on Saturday. I had planned to go out the previous weekend with @ianrauk but the weather was so bad we did a rain check. The ride marks 10 whole calendar years of doing this challenge so I was apprehensive and wanted to get this done as early in the month as possible, unfortunately Ian was otherwise engaged, so we couldn't tick this off together as we would both have liked to have done. Although it didn't rain the roads were absolutely filthy and idiot boy thought it would be a good idea to use the summer bike with no mudguards! My route was a bit convoluted and hilly as I have now started the madness of veloviewer tile bagging, but worthwhile as I increased my maximum square by one to 18x18. As we are in tier 3 there was no cafe stop, but I did have a coffee at a petrol station, which was a reasonable substitute considering.
View attachment 563415
As you can see, most of my century rides this year have been local, with one exception where I was able to ride down to Watford from Hinckley. So another year beckons, although I feel that the pressure is off a bit now I have reached the 10 year milestone.
View attachment 563416
Oh no. I have just discovered an issue. I can't give myself another star, because the signature size is limited!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got my December qualifier done today :okay: Today looked the best day of my few off, cold but less wind forecast than the next few days & my 3 days off at Christmas look like they could be cold & wet, so glad to have it done today. Headed onto the Wolds for a bit, then met up with my wife, near home, at around 70 miles to have a bit of company for last stretch. Think that puts my Eddington upto 96 now, see you all next year for more fun ^_^ & best wishes to all those still to get their December rides done 👍

Top Bottom