The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Got September's done on Sunday. A sensational day for it, maximised the blue skies and sunshine by heading across the fens to just south of Hunstanton and then dropped back down to Attleborough to get the train home. A shade over 150 miles and enjoyed every one of them, especially the cycle path approach into Kings Lynn and the wooded lanes around the Sandringham Estate. Only three to go for this challenge, but I'm also trying to do at least 2 per month to get to my (since joining Strava in 2017) Eddington number up to 100 before I'm 40! Only on 59 so still a long way to go :bicycle:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
September was done yesterday, as I've already recounted in Your ride today...

A scan of my stats suggests I wasn't going too badly (by my standards) in the first half. I became extremely tired later, which was what I expected to happen. Just keep turning the pedals, it doesn't matter how slowly...

But you know how it is, today the pain has evaporated and I enjoyed every minute. :rolleyes:

Edit: I forgot to mention that my January 1st effort had a Strava activity reference starting with 2. Yesterday's began with a 4. Worthy of note?

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Out of the door at sunrise to meet up with the mighty Ross The Boss. He was joining me on the first part of today's ride to have Brekkie at Yalding. A fair rapid pace meant we got to Teapot Island Cafe early and had to wait a little, but it did mean we were first in the queue as soon after a good dozen or so other cyclists from different clubs turned up.
After brekkie, Ross made his was home whilst I continued my ride. It started to get a little cold now and a bit further in the heavens opened and decided to rain on me for an hour. Once the rain had stopped the wind Gods decided to punish me a bit more by blowing a nasty headwind in my direction making for tough going at times. But I got round and got home, a mucky human and a mucky bike. But Septembers Imperial Century Ride is done and dusted though a little late in the month.
So, scores on the doors. A tad just over 104 miles for the day. Imperial Century Ride #12 for the year. #285 over all. Imperial month #118 in a row. The 10 years is getting closer.
View attachment 549480

View attachment 549481

View attachment 549482

Tribansman

Veteran
Got October's in early this month as busy few weekends ahead. Absolutely foul weather yesterday, torrential rain for virtually the whole time I was out, and pretty windy too.

Still, enjoyed the battle against the elements and autumnal feel. Rode out to Newport Pagnell from Letchworth and met up with a mate to do a 40 mile loop up around the gently rolling Bucks countryside taking in Olney, Cranfield, Woburn and Marston Moretaine. Back at my mates he sorted me out with a coffee, cheese toastie and dry base layer as was proper shaking from the cold.

Warmed up by blasting the first couple of climbs on way home and was then fine. Realised I need to invest in a new waterproof (and prob merino base layer and neoprene gloves too), as all the seams leaked and I was soaked to the skin inside first half hour. Although not sure any waterproof would've kept out 6 hours of incessant rain!

Does anyone have any recommends for a decent jacket £100ish? I know it can't be that decent for that price!

Was my 20th century of the year so far, aiming for 28 so still work to do...

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Got October's in early this month as busy few weekends ahead. Absolutely foul weather yesterday, torrential rain for virtually the whole time I was out, and pretty windy too.

Still, enjoyed the battle against the elements and autumnal feel. Rode out to Newport Pagnell from Letchworth and met up with a mate to do a 40 mile loop up around the gently rolling Bucks countryside taking in Olney, Cranfield, Woburn and Marston Moretaine. Back at my mates he sorted me out with a coffee, cheese toastie and dry base layer as was proper shaking from the cold.

Warmed up by blasting the first couple of climbs on way home and was then fine. Realised I need to invest in a new waterproof (and prob merino base layer and neoprene gloves too), as all the seams leaked and I was soaked to the skin inside first half hour. But then I don't think any waterproof would've kept out 6 hours of incessant rain!

But anyone have any recommends for a decent jacket £100ish? I know it can't be that decent for that price!

Was my 20th century of the year so far, aiming for 28 so still work to do...

Great stuff. Well done.

13 rider

Guru
Well done @Tribansman . Waterproof jacket I can recommend goretex shake dry expensive but it works
Edit just seen your budget the 1 I recommended is double that !
Previous to the goretex I had a endura fs260 effective food a couple of hours but the was only £60

Tribansman

Veteran
Well done @Tribansman . Waterproof jacket I can recommend goretex shake dry expensive but it works
Edit just seen your budget the 1 I recommended is double that !
Previous to the goretex I had a endura fs260 effective food a couple of hours but the was only £60

Great, thanks. Will have a look for that, or maybe ask Santa for a contribution to a goretex shake dry.... :santa:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
October done 104 miles to Lincoln to take advantage of the wind.
Only problem was in order to get the distance and grab some squares, I inserted a 30 mile loop at 60 miles which included 15 miles in flat Lincolnshire straight into the headwind. That bit was very slow.

Two months to go and I can’t wait to see the back of 2020.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got my October qualifier done today too, my wife was riding out with a few friends this morning, so joined them for about 15 miles, but couldn't convince any to join me :rolleyes: The 25-30mph westerley wind would have put me off at one time, but today was ok, apart from a 3 mile stretch uphill into it (bloody Lincolnshire:laugh:) 109 miles & 18 vv tiles :okay:

Trickedem

Guru
@Trickedem We crossed paths yesterday, just as you were getting into Lutterworth I went by the other way. That's another cyclechatter ticked off :laugh:
I hope I at least smiled or gave you an acknowledgment. Did you just work this out via Strava? Or did you recognise me? I had a fantastic ride through Leicestershire, Northamptonshire, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire and Hertfordshire. It was a beautiful day, with a nice tailwind and no rain. I particularly like Leicestershire and Northhants, with some nice quiet lanes and idyllic villages. Milton Keynes, was OK, as I kept to NCR 6, which goes mainly through parks and alongside the Grand Union Canal. Although I did stop at a Greggs for a steak bake and a yumyum.
The final part through Bucks and into Hertfordshire was also nice, with a few hills as I came into the Chilterns.
Very lucky to arrive at Watford with only a 5 minute wait for a train into London.

All in all a great day with some new scenery. England in the Autumn is beautiful.

hinckley-Wat.jpg

Top Bottom