The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I did August's on Monday. Recovery is a bit slower these days, making it harder to produce anything for Your ride today... in anything like an acceptable timeframe.

The return of Audax validation seems to have excited many, but the most significant milestone from my perspective was the completion of 100 centuries on my recycled ex-skip bike, which came to me looking like this in March 2017:

What looks like an acceptable front tyre proved to be unserviceable, but the seat post wasn't firmly stuck. I'm still using the headset and the bottle cage screws.

A couple of images to record the happy day:

The first one could be a contender for the Name that road thread. Shouldn't be too hard.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Is that all? Have you replaced everything else? :smile:
Yes, I think so, unless I also used the bolts securing the mudguards.

What I needed was a receptacle for the parts from my aluminium tourer, which had developed what looked like a crack in the head tube. That frame had been my partner on 43 century rides, which seemed quite a lot at the time. A tenner from eBay and a drive up to Shropshire via the Long Mynd to collect was a pretty good deal. For a while I used the seat post (not the clamp and screw) and the Q/R bolt, but neither was completely satisfactory, the grooves on top of the post being rather worn. More recently the yellow V-brakes made a reappearance for a 1-ride flirtation with butterfly bars.

One of my most satisfying purchases, though I have to admit I was lucky with the rear wheel spacing.

robjh

Legendary Member
Ouch.
Hope you can still get a ride done Rob.
Thanks Ian. The more immediate frustration is that we're off to Wales in the motorhome next week and I would normally have the bike on the back for a couple of great hill rides, and I can't cycle at all at the moment - I tried but can't take any weight on that hand.
I'll be a good boy for a couple of weeks at least and see how it goes. I haven't given up all hope of an August century just yet.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got my August qualifier done today, pretty uneventful on roads I've ridden many times. A quick 42 miles solo, before meeting up with my wife & her friend. There was a chance of thunder storms today so took the Enigma with full guards, but no jacket, far too warm. Heard a couple of claps of thunder & got caught in a small light shower whilst waiting but luckily that was it. Nice lunch out £13 for 3 of us, cheers Boris :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That rare cycling day when both legs and mind are happy to work. A thoroughly enjoyable follow your nose ride in Kent to bag Augusts qualifying ride. 119 miles for the day including a few future Eddington numbers. Imperial Century #10 for the year, #283 over all and month #117 in row. Bonus that I got home before the rain came. Only got lost twice ^_^

A bit murky at 6am

ooh a black cat

Isle Of Sheppey Bridge

Rochester Castle

The Medway

robjh

Legendary Member
I posted upthread, nearly three weeks ago, that a fractured hand might have knocked me out of the challenge for this year, but happy to report that I did August's century yesterday, with 115 miles from home in Cambridgeshire to Brighton. If you look carefully at this picture at the top of Ditchling Beacon you can just about make out the splint on my left hand

or for a close-up, here

It has almost healed now, and I had more trouble from my legs after three weeks off the bike than I did from pains in the hand.

Anyway, it's good to be back :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today too, wasn't planned, but Mrs SD has really got the cycling bug over the last 3 months & fancied doing 100 miles. On Sunday she said weather looks good Tuesday 👍 Not the fastest ever century ride, but my average today with her was 15.2mph, much quicker than my first century ride, so the old girl did well :okay: I'm sure she'll do more in the future, but not sure she's daft enough to sign up for this challenge & do century rides throughout the year/winter :laugh:

Top Bottom