The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Got mine done today & it was my last chance, as I'm back at work tomorrow till 30th. Shouldn't June be the easiest month to get it in 🤔 On my days off this month, its either been too wet, too windy, or I've had other plans, but got out for 130+ miles today. Two weeks off early next month, so should get that done a bit sooner :laugh: Carrying food for 100 miles I can manage, but drinks on a day like today, I'd need to tow a trailer :laugh:, my stops today were at a filling station for drinks, a Spa store for drinks & a sarnie & final stop at a bakers for coffee & cakes. Hopefully there'll be more choice of stop offs next month

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I was pleased to get July done yesterday - a partial window in some unsettled weather, but still the risk of heavy rain which struck with a vengeance quite late on in Tewkesbury. I don't think I've ever noticed to the same extent how the noise from vehicle tyres is amplified in the wet. It felt most threatening. Maybe I hit a particularly busy time.

All good though - just over 125 miles so a contribution to the lunacy challenge, and a brand new Eddington number. :smile:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Went out & did my July ride yesterday. Planned to do it, but woke up not feeling the love & really couldn't be bothered :sad: but managed to drag my ass out around 9am. Had no route planned & wasn't sure if I'd even manage the ton, but once out I got into it & had a great day. No new VV squares, no new roads at all but a very pleasant day with fish & chips for lunch & possibly my quickest ton of the year :smile:

13 rider

Guru
A fail :sad: this morning been off work all week and today looked the best weather day so route planned bike prepped last night . Out the door just before 6 into a lovely Morning . 20 miles in and the first big climb of Saxileby hill which I was taking it easy spinning up when twang and a clatter ,Broken spoke . Wheel well out of true had to open the brake caliper to get the wheel to spin. Decision time push on and gamble the wheel holds up or turntail and head home . Decide to bail and had a steady ride home made it did it was slow do doing 80+ miles would have been very slow .With my TCR in the Lbs having its brakes fixed and now my Defy failing me I running out of equipment . Thankfully I do have a spare rear wheel for the Defy so now planning for Sunday . Not in panic mode yet

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
A fail :sad: this morning been off work all week and today looked the best weather day so route planned bike prepped last night . Out the door just before 6 into a lovely Morning . 20 miles in and the first big climb of Saxileby hill which I was taking it easy spinning up when twang and a clatter ,Broken spoke . Wheel well out of true had to open the brake caliper to get the wheel to spin. Decision time push on and gamble the wheel holds up or turntail and head home . Decide to bail and had a steady ride home made it did it was slow do doing 80+ miles would have been very slow .With my TCR in the Lbs having its brakes fixed and now my Defy failing me I running out of equipment . Thankfully I do have a spare rear wheel for the Defy so now planning for Sunday . Not in panic mode yet

Unlucky. If you get desperate you can borrow my Allez. I've also got a spare set of wheels if you'd prefer.

13 rider

Guru
And relax ,July's done on my last chance thankfully no mechanicals today . Got my direction wrong headed out of Leicester the opposite way to @Supersuperleeds which meant I had a tailwind out and headwind back ,so just 45 miles into a headwind . One brutal stretch in the Vale of Belvior ,long lane is aptly named 4 miles dead straight into a headwind was brutal . Anyway I got round 103 miles in the bag

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
And relax ,July's done on my last chance thankfully no mechanicals today . Got my direction wrong head out of Leicester the oppose way to @Supersuperleeds which meant I had a tailwind out and headwind back ,so just 45 miles into a headwind . One brutal stretch in the Vale of Belvior ,long lane is aptly named 4 miles dead straight into a headwind was brutal . Anyway I got round 103 miles in the bag

Bad route planning :laugh:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Eight down, four to go. Strengthening westerly wind, could have done Salisbury, or Whitchurch yet again, but decided to take maximum advantage. On the road at 5.45am (I'd have loved those temperatures all day!), Havant, Chichester, etc to Brighton…halfway stop at Rottingdean at about ten. And then, on east. Newhaven, Seaford, Bexhill, Hastings, Winchelsea, a touch of COR on NCN route 2 (sticking with the 259 there next time) and final destination, Rye. Got there around 2.30, plans for a pub late lunch abandoned for the (one-an-hour, and three hours!) train journey home. First half pace was 14 mph average, that got clobbered in the second half (all the climbing, plus road works, plus aforementioned COR) but still 12.6 mph average. Have a mad idea to go on to Dungeness at some point, but given the logistics (last train from Rye- 14 miles from the shingle- is 19.48!!) I might just do that on a bike with an engine…

Top Bottom