The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I got May’s done today. I thought I’d put the Oltre XR4 through its paces properly, and plot as hilly a route as I could manage. It’s a joy to ride up hills, but scary going down again. It picks up speed like a stabbed rat, fortunately the brakes work so well, it feels like you’ve hit a wall if you want it to. A very hilly outward stretch to Littlehampton via the South Downs, and a return including Portsdown hill, just over 102 miles done in some superb weather.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Everything seems very quiet this month! With the unusual combination (in mid-summer) of lower temperature, very light winds and no rain, yesterday was cycling heaven. I pushed a little further and picked up the next number in my attempt eventually to record all distances from 100 to 150 - 144 this time.

For the time being I'm following the rules I adopted once lockdown had "settled" - only ride on days when my wife is available for rescue, and remain within a radius it would be reasonable to ask her to come and get me. I don't see that changing for a while, the "find someone who can help" option remaining off limits, leaving nothing between "fix by the roadside" and "call home".

I quite like the heatmap for my last six rides:

The area north of the city is sparsely populated but with good road density. And avoiding repeating stretches of road on any individual ride has meant I've found roads quite close to home which were new to me. If and when this is all over, the lockdown cycling experience will be one of my most precious memories.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
June's done ,I'm finding hard this year to get motivated for long rides with no cafe stops.
103.5 miles Leicester to Derby then across to Nottingham grabbing some velo viewer squares then back home

No cafe with outside seating you could visit? Did a shorter ride today to such a cafe. Took your order at the counter. Your name was called when your food was ready, you picked it up from a serving hatch. It was served on disposable plates which you threw in the bin afterwards. It worked quite well.

I did this ride with a couple of chums who I haven't seen since the lockdown begun. Me being a social cyclist it made for such nice riding. The nice weather helped also of course, and I dont think I've ever seen so many cyclists out on the road. An amazing amount.

Well done for getting the ride done. Half the year done, half of which in somewhat challenging conditions.

13 rider

Guru
No cafe with outside seating you could visit? Did a shorter ride today to such a cafe. Took your order at the counter. Your name was called when your food was ready, you picked it up from a serving hatch. It was served on disposable plates which you threw in the bin afterwards. It worked quite well.

I did this ride with a couple of chums who I haven't seen since the lockdown begun. Me being a social cyclist it made for such nice riding. The nice weather helped also of course, and I dont think I've ever seen so many cyclists out on the road. An amazing amount.

Well done for getting the ride done. Half the year done, half of which in somewhat challenging conditions.
Visiting a new area and basically couldn't be bothered into researching what open or not . Did hope to pass a takeout cafe but no such look until 1 mile from home . Agreed about the number of riders out today got fed up with saying morning to every one :laugh:. Saw a couple of club runs not social distancing at all not good to see

Trickedem

Guru
Up early yesterday to get June's ride done. Fantastic weather for a ride. I bumped into a good friend of mine I've done LEL and PBP with, purely by chance. Also managed to meet up for breakfast with @rb58 @ianrauk & Martin T, which worked really well.
This was also the completion of 10 years of this challenge. I started doing it in July 2010 after returning from doing Lejog to keep my fitness up and somehow, I've not been able to stop!
https://www.strava.com/activities/3613353426

Tribansman

Veteran
Ticked mine off on Saturday. Took extra mechanical supplies and ventured further afield for the first time since lockdown, a 200 miler from Letchworth to Stratford upon Avon and back. Beautiful weather and never seen so many riders out. Lovely to see loads of families enjoying a ride.

Some crazy driving and close passes though, most 🔔 ends seem to be back out on the roads 😡

Last edited:
Top Bottom