The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Well, apart from the fact that no such limit exists. Or its existence is at best questionable. But that's been done to death, buried then dug up and done again on another thread.
The message is pretty clear. "Stay at home". And in the leaflet that came through your door it was quite clear. ".... and when doing these activities, you should minimise the time spent outside your home".

pawl

Legendary Member
Got mine in today. Took grub with me and sat on a log in the middle of nowhere to eat it.
Plenty of people out and good to see everyone giving everyone else a wide berth.
Pretty much all the villages I went through were empty. Market Bosworth was like a ghost town, good to see the country park was completely empty as I went by.

Boise park has been deserted for the last week or so.went through Mkt Bosworth on Wednesday market was operating few people shopping.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm just about allowing myself an occasional close to home 50km but mainly 20-40km rides just now, so as nothing is changing this month I am out of imperial (and separate 100km challenge too) Hopefully I can carry on with 50km and lunacy too if the lockdown is eased in the summer.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm just about allowing myself an occasional close to home 50km but mainly 20-40km rides just now, so as nothing is changing this month I am out of imperial (and separate 100km challenge too) Hopefully I can carry on with 50km and lunacy too if the lockdown is eased in the summer.
I did my century early this month, staying within about 15 miles of home, but the more I think about it, the less I want to do it again next month :blush: If the restrictions are lifted a little in a few weeks, then I may go out & do a century otherwise I'll be out of the challenge this year too :sad: Did a century on zwift (again) last Sunday, full PRL, its just not the same though. Much of my cycling is on zwift now, it's like its still winter :laugh: Occasional leisure ride & commutes is about it for outdoors

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Did a century on zwift (again) last Sunday, full PRL, its just not the same though.
What does PRL mean? Is it the Prudential Ride London route?

You're right about it not being the same. I've not had the patience to do a full imperial century, but I've done metric distance and it gets a bit tiresome (not to mention sweaty and messy) even following a "real life" route and daydreaming about the things I would be able to see if I was really there.

I did my century early this month, staying within about 15 miles of home, but the more I think about it, the less I want to do it again next month :blush: If the restrictions are lifted a little in a few weeks, then I may go out & do a century otherwise I'll be out of the challenge this year too :sad: Did a century on zwift (again) last Sunday, full PRL, its just not the same though. Much of my cycling is on zwift now, it's like its still winter :laugh: Occasional leisure ride & commutes is about it for outdoors
I've plotted a route that takes a roughly 7-8 miles radius but similarly I'm less inclined to do it. Of course not ideal but I think it would be sensible to take the challenge online for a few months. 6-7 hours on a turbo xx(

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
@Soltydog @Dogtrousers @HLaB I've gone through all of the above debating in my head with myself vs guidelines, can easily do 100km staying 10km from home but have decided 50km is pushing it for me. My trouble is I cannot get hold of a turbo for a sensible price, I pay a lot out for the gym for mixed exercise inc spin classes and I was too slow off the mark using suspended gym payments to get myself a turbo and/or a weight/bar set. Thank goodness the weather is nice, outside is glorious! I'm making myself do more hills on my short routes.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My trouble is I cannot get hold of a turbo for a sensible price,
I'm counting myself very lucky that (a) I bought a turbo last year and (b) I actually enjoy using it. I do realise that there are others who either don't have one or can't stand the things. A friend of mine ebay'd her 2 year old turbo that was nothing special and made a profit on what she paid for it. I'm not knocking her as her income is in bits at the moment & she has 2 extremely active and presumably hungry kids.

I'm counting myself very lucky that (a) I bought a turbo last year and (b) I actually enjoy using it. I do realise that there are others who either don't have one or can't stand the things. A friend of mine ebay'd her 2 year old turbo that was nothing special and made a profit on what she paid for it. I'm not knocking her as her income is in bits at the moment & she has 2 extremely active and presumably hungry kids.
I'm fortunate there too, I'd upgraded my rollers and turbo to smart ones at the start of chemo, thinking as per the advice I wouldn't get out (thankfully I did). Didn't think it would be this year I couldn't get out much :wacko:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
What does PRL mean? Is it the Prudential Ride London route?
It's not the PRL route, but think it's meant to replicate the distance, it was 11 laps of the London loop (iirc) which includes Box Hill. It wasn't as bad as it could have been though, 6 of us did it together, so there was a bit of banter & online social interaction. Been doing a lot of group rides & got some nice 'virtual' friends nowadays 😉

rb58

Enigma
I think it's time to be honest with myself and say I'm not going to manage a challenge ride this month. I just can't square it with my conscience while things are like this and I couldn't justify it to family and friends either. I'll probably hop over to the Lunacy Challenge and hope that restrictions don't drag on through the summer.
The 'Lunacy Challenge'. Hmm. That might be something to entertain me once things get easier..... <goes off to figure out what it is>

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The 'Lunacy Challenge'. Hmm. That might be something to entertain me once things get easier..... <goes off to figure out what it is>
I started it after chats with @Littgull about his riding. He always aims to get at least 12 imperial century rides done every year, but he doesn't like to do them in the winter. Long winter rides are what stopped me going in for the imperial century a month challenge. I'd be spending too many hours riding in freezing darkness unless I concentrated on relentless looping of whatever (boring and busy!) flat roads I could find round here.

I have dropped out of my other challenges this year because of the pandemic. I will be trying to cram all of my Lunacy rides into whatever time we have left after lockdown has been lifted. Any of you who do drop out 'here' would be welcome to join us 'there' instead! :hello:

rb58

Enigma
I started it after chats with @Littgull about his riding. He always aims to get at least 12 imperial century rides done every year, but he doesn't like to do them in the winter. Long winter rides are what stopped me going in for the imperial century a month challenge. I'd be spending too many hours riding in freezing darkness unless I concentrated on relentless looping of whatever (boring and busy!) flat roads I could find round here.

I have dropped out of my other challenges this year because of the pandemic. I will be trying to cram all of my Lunacy rides into whatever time we have left after lockdown has been lifted. Any of you who do drop out 'here' would be welcome to join us 'there' instead! :hello:
I think I'm in. 2020 was always going to be my final year of the Imperial Century a Month Challenge anyway as my new cycling philosophy is only to do rides I'm going to enjoy, not ones I have to. The Lunacy Challenge could fit the bill well.

Top Bottom