The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Couldn't jump on the Van Nick?
Did think about that, but when I saw the weather forecast for tomorrow, I thought it could wait as it will be warmer, plus I've got decent lights, so may actually leave much earlier.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My nurse practitioner doesn't consider me to be in the 'vulnerable' group and I should exercise as normal. So from that point of view the century could be back on; I'm in two mind whether or not to do it though :wacko:

Who qualifies for membership of the 12 week house arrest group does appear to be open to question.

As someone who is properly ill, stuff like exercise and getting back to work are recognised as aids to your recovery.

Perhaps, at a stretch, you could justify a century ride as a medical need.

The advice is just that, advice, but if you simply ignore it you are still subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us in terms of one hour of exercise and so on.

Here's a link to the 12 week restrictions.

Quoting: "Shielding is for your personal protection. It is your choice to decide whether to follow the measures we advise.."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In a way it was lucky for me that I crashed when I did as that took the decision out of my hands as March was then wiped out with injuries, a damaged bike, and then a mystery illness that - the more I learn about the various symptoms - could well have been THE lurgy although I didn't think so at the time.

I'm not really sure what I'd do - probably just whatever my wife told me to. Best of luck to those of you who are finding a way.

Edit : and best to those who have decided to call it a day too (Just for balance ;) )

Last edited:

rb58

Enigma
Unless the restrictions are removed by the end of the month, I shall be out. Aside from the chest problems I’ve been having throughout March, I’m not comfortable spending all day on a bike at such a difficult time.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Got mine in today. Took grub with me and sat on a log in the middle of nowhere to eat it.
Plenty of people out and good to see everyone giving everyone else a wide berth.
Pretty much all the villages I went through were empty. Market Bosworth was like a ghost town, good to see the country park was completely empty as I went by.

I headed to our club TT course this morning which was fine at first I saw a few cohabiting male couples but they kept out of my way but the course got a little bit busier so I headed towards home. I decided though I was best in the countryside and stayed out a bit longer and completed the ton View: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/46705060

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I did a ride yesterday - 102.4 miles with minimal repetition and a maximum of 9.4 miles (as the crow flies) from home. The folks I saw were almost without exception friendly and well-behaved; I trust they all thought the same of me!

If I'm really honest, I know a spell of riding shorter distances more frequently would do me a lot of good. Please may I listen to my own advice.

rb58

Enigma
As the lockdown has been extended for another three weeks, there’s no chance of me getting a century in April. So, that’s me out of the challenge. Bummer. My objective once things are eased is to get my Eddington to 110 before the year end. I need 4 more 110+ rides for that.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As the lockdown has been extended for another three weeks, there’s no chance of me getting a century in April. So, that’s me out of the challenge. Bummer. My objective once things are eased is to get my Eddington to 110 before the year end. I need 4 more 110+ rides for that.

This matter has been complicated by new guidelines which state it's permitted to drive to an exercise point provided 'the latter is longer than the former'.

I suppose the overall 'hour out of the house for exercise' limit still applies, so the idea of the new guideline is to permit a city dweller to drive 10 minutes to a park, exercise for longer than that but no longer than 40 minutes to allow time to get home in under 60 minutes.

Seems to me driving 90 miles to a beauty spot to do a century circuit would still be frowned upon.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-rules-police-advised-coronavirus#maincontent

Top Bottom