The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My standard length of a recreational bike ride is 100 miles. Therefore under that vile man Gove's instructions, it's a standard length excercise of what I would ordinarily have done.

The 'rules' are just not very clear.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Indeed, it's as clear as mud. I still strongly suspect Gove's comment was made on the assumption that nobody goes very far on a bicycle, but since his advice is on record I won't feel as bad heading out. I'll still bias towards quiet places to ride though.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
A legal perspective from a barrister (who some of us on here know and have ridden with) having read the regulations.

View: https://twitter.com/Julian_Norman1/status/1243471353900138496

If Ms Norman says it's OK, it's OK. It'll stand up in court....

From the regulations themselves, my bold. Note lack of reference to length or duration of exercise. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/pdfs/uksi_20200350_en.pdf
Restrictions on movement 6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse. (2)For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need— (a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2; (b)to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household; (c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of Schedule 2;

Last edited:

StuAff

I know what I'm going to do for April…something along the lines of what I did today. Never went more than about ten miles from home, the last seventy were all five miles or less from home. It got a bit repetitive…but given the wind speed, it helped- some shelter, some of the time, and I could do 'headwind for a bit, tailwind for a bit'. Social distancing respected in full…

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If Ms Norman says it's OK, it's OK. It'll stand up in court....

All barristers, including Ms Norman and including those who say something you like, win some cases and lose others.

You can say it may be the subject of a court hearing, but only a fool would make a certain assertion about the outcome.

It's far from clear what type of hearing it would be.

Failure to pay a fixed penalty notice issued for being somewhere you should not be will land you in front of the magistrates.

Do you think a bench is likely to have any sympathy with a cyclist who is before them in such circumstances?

You may say doing a long ride doesn't qualify you for a fixed penalty, but if that's what a copper decides to issue, that is what you have to deal with.

Putting your case in court may get the fixed penalty quashed on the barrister's reading of the regulations.

But the courts have a tradition of operating according to the public mood.

During the riots of a few years ago, plenty of people found themselves locked up for offences they would never have gone anywhere near prison for had their offences been committed in isolation.

Then there's the reputational damage to consider.

Such a case is bound to attract publicity, which is stress in itself and might go on for months pending a resolution.

Even if you win you will be branded a selfish, irresponsible twat by some on social media.

All under your real name and accompanied by a picture of you snatched at court or ripped from elsewhere on the internet.

I know what I'm going to do for April…something along the lines of what I did today. Never went more than about ten miles from home, the last seventy were all five miles or less from home. It got a bit repetitive…but given the wind speed, it helped- some shelter, some of the time, and I could do 'headwind for a bit, tailwind for a bit'. Social distancing respected in full…

This strikes me a good plan as any to reduce the risk of ending up on the wrong side of the law.

But that's all it does, reduce the risk, it doesn't eliminate it.

StuAff

Fair points, but I was a danger neither to myself nor others. I was careful to keep my distance from anyone, kept local, didn't touch anything that could have been contaminated, and washed my hands regularly. And the fact remains that the regulations- not the guidelines- contain no limit on distance or duration. That particular conundrum would not be open and shut in court, certainly not from the prosecution's point of view. If cycling is banned outright or specific limits are placed on distance and or time, I'll follow them. Otherwise, I'll keep doing what I'm doing.

rb58

Enigma
For me it’s about the spirit of the restrictions, not the nuances of the language.

Looks like the century a month challenge is off again for me, the same time it was last year :sad:. I've just had the official letter to stay at home. I've emailed my Nurse Practitioner to get their opinion. Apart from the Neuropathy I feel fitter than I've ever been too :sad:
My nurse practitioner doesn't consider me to be in the 'vulnerable' group and I should exercise as normal. So from that point of view the century could be back on; I'm in two mind whether or not to do it though :wacko:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My nurse practitioner doesn't consider me to be in the 'vulnerable' group and I should exercise as normal. So from that point of view the century could be back on; I'm in two mind whether or not to do it though :wacko:
Good to hear matey.
Only you can answer whether to do it or not.
I looked on my ride as total self isolation. Of which it was. I took a packed lunch with me so I didn't have to shop. Meant I had to carry more than usual but was a good idea and will do again in the future.

Tribansman

Veteran
Good to hear matey.
Only you can answer whether to do it or not.
I looked on my ride as total self isolation. Of which it was. I took a packed lunch with me so I didn't have to shop. Meant I had to carry more than usual but was a good idea and will do again in the future.

Agree. I did two repeats of a local loop where I was never more than 10 or so miles from home. Set off at 5pm, stuck to quiet lanes and barely saw a soul; anyone I did see I gave a very wide berth. Took enough tuck and drink with me, was home just over 6 hours later having not even got off the bike. So yeah, almost total self isolation. That's my 6th this year so enough to say it's a regular distance, and was good for both mind and body and will help sustain commitment to staying at home/in garden most of the rest of the time.

I get the 'yes, but if everyone was doing that...' argument, but let's face it, that's never going to be happening is it? But if it had been busier, would have kept it short.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I took a packed lunch with me so I didn't have to shop. Meant I had to carry more than usual but was a good idea and will do again in the future.
My packed lunch was a pack of Jaffa cakes ! I tried to stay within 15 miles of home & on roads that are quiet at the best of times. A little bit of traffic & maybe a dozen or so walkers & a few other cyclists, all passed with well over 2m so no probs IMO
Maybe different for some folk, but living rural does have advantages at times like this

Trickedem

Guru
IMG_20200404_073914~2.jpg

Set off at 7am and this happened. Now back in bed warming up. Will try again tomorrow.

Top Bottom