The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Was it not great because of how you felt, the route or mix of both?

I felt similar today on my March qualifier, nothing in the tank and also nursing a painful and persistent saddle sore (need some new shorts and maybe a saddle 'fit' too). Tarnished the enjoyment of the ride but I went through some nice villages and had some pleasant vistas so all in all a good way to spend a Sunday morning. I really like North/West Essex and into Suffolk, real quintessential English villages and pleasant, gently rolling terrain. Just a shame it's bloody Toryville, along with 90% of Hertfordshire.

Breezy but dry all the way, except for final 10 miles when the long-looming grey emptied with gusto and soaked me to the skin (couldn't be bothered stopping and getting my jacket on!).

Was also century number 9 this year, only missed one week so far (Storm bloody Eunice) on my other challenge.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Was it not great because of how you felt, the route or mix of both?
Route went pretty well.

But I just ran out of steam and was feeling pretty bad so the last 30 miles or so was a real struggle just willing the numbers to change on my GPS and for it to finish. One of those days. By the end I'd 100% decided I was going to retire from riding imperial centuries, that it was a stupidly long distance that that takes just too long. I'd had it. I've relented on that now ... for the time being at least.

I've pretty much written off my plans of doing the whole London circuit in one go, but I'll be picking up the route at St Albans and carrying on round for my next century.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
March also done on Saturday. I found Missed Connection 160km audax very tough. I rode the to and from to make 200km. Bristol down to Shaftesbury via Bruton, a walk up the cobbles of Gold Hill :laugh: and back via Longleat estate and Two Tunnels, Bath and B2B railway path. Hilly and a very strong southerly. I need to be faster so I can eat/rest more :laugh:

Trickedem

Guru
March also done on Saturday. I found Missed Connection 160km audax very tough. I rode the to and from to make 200km. Bristol down to Shaftesbury via Bruton, a walk up the cobbles of Gold Hill :laugh: and back via Longleat estate and Two Tunnels, Bath and B2B railway path. Hilly and a very strong southerly. I need to be faster so I can eat/rest more :laugh:
Well done. That wind was tough on Saturday.

Trickedem

Guru
Got my March Century in on Saturday. It was a lovely day for it too. I was on my gravel bike as I did a little bit of off-roading to get some veloviewer tiles. Unfortunately the last tile in Kent that I wanted was inaccessible because it is on the Lydd Ranges and very inconsiderately the Army were live firing all day.
This also my first ride on this new saddle, very comfortable already
1647278690077.png

Rolvenden Motor Museum
1647278690936.png

Rye Harbour
1647278846191.png

Attachments

• 1647278542542.png
    1647278542542.png
    221.1 KB · Views: 4

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Got my March Century in on Saturday. It was a lovely day for it too. I was on my gravel bike as I did a little bit of off-roading to get some veloviewer tiles. Unfortunately the last tile in Kent that I wanted was inaccessible because it is on the Lydd Ranges and very inconsiderately the Army were live firing all day.
This also my first ride on this new saddle, very comfortable already View attachment 635379

Rolvenden Motor Museum
View attachment 635380

Rye Harbour
View attachment 635381
Do the army not know there are important things like tile collecting to do?

My husband bought himself a Brooks, so far so good. The saddle I've had since I started cycling (I've had 2 the same) is now not made anymore. I am m quietly panicking.

Very well done, there's always a good percentage of gravel on road in Somerset/Dorset/Wiltshire/Gloucestershire. if you want nice smooth roads we go to Wales.

robjh

Legendary Member
Did March's ride yesterday. I rode from Cambridge firstly about 60 miles NW to Oundle and Stamford so got a few mild hills in there, but then turned east again and was soon in the flattest of flat Fenland with barely an incline for 50 miles to King's Lynn. It was a way of making it into a one-way ride, to a station where I can take a bike on a train without difficulty and the ticket doesn't cost a mortgage. It was a lovely day and I enjoyed the ride but some of those fen roads do get very samey!

My elevation profile for the 2nd half of the ride
1647369972711.png

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
Did March's ride yesterday. I rode from Cambridge firstly about 60 miles NW to Oundle and Stamford so got a few mild hills in there, but then turned east again and was soon in the flattest of flat Fenland with barely an incline for 50 miles to King's Lynn. It was a way of making it into a one-way ride, to a station where I can take a bike on a train without difficulty and the ticket doesn't cost a mortgage. It was a lovely day and I enjoyed the ride but some of those fen roads do get very samey!

View attachment 635492
I hope you had a tailwind for the flat section.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I tried and failed to get my qualifier in on Monday. Got to about 60 miles and found there was nothing left in the tank. Had a few other niggles too which just added up to the decision to abandon. It's possible I was fighting a bug as I had to cry off from what I was supposed to be doing next morning and ended up sleeping for about 18 hours.

The weather forecasts don't look bad for the rest of the month so I'm not out yet.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

View attachment 635492

Small world, I rode through Stamford today doing an 100 miler, though I had to head north and west after it and my profile wasn't quite as flat as yours. :sad:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I tried and failed to get my qualifier in on Monday. Got to about 60 miles and found there was nothing left in the tank. Had a few other niggles too which just added up to the decision to abandon. It's possible I was fighting a bug as I had to cry off from what I was supposed to be doing next morning and ended up sleeping for about 18 hours.

The weather forecasts don't look bad for the rest of the month so I'm not out yet.
You did what I probably should have done. I did finish mine last weekend but I was in bits at the end and it was a miserable last few hours just turning the pedals. I don't know why. Just happens I guess.

Best wishes for your next bash.

Top Bottom