The Imperial Century A Month Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I regret to report that I must drop out of the challenge this year.

Apart from the weather being rubbish most of the month, I've had the distraction of being offered a new job which requires relocation to the Lake District. Excellent for scenic rides but I'm fairly sure that I won't be managing centuries on those very hilly roads without building up my fitness quite a lot.

We'll see what next year brings.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Apart from the weather being rubbish most of the month, I've had the distraction of being offered a new job which requires relocation to the Lake District. Excellent for scenic rides but I'm fairly sure that I won't be managing centuries on those very hilly roads without building up my fitness quite a lot.

That's a shame (on the challenge)

Great news, (hopefully) on the new job, hope it all goes well.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Sorry to hear that Phil. See you again next year.
The weather has indeed been dreadful. I did my March ride last Sunday. The only weekend day this month that was dry. Even this weekend is looking wet.

Best of luck with the new job.

robjh

Legendary Member

Enjoy the Lake District Phil, and we're counting on you now for 2024!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That's a shame (on the challenge)

Great news, (hopefully) on the new job, hope it all goes well.

Sorry to hear that Phil. See you again next year.
The weather has indeed been dreadful. I did my March ride last Sunday. The only weekend day this month that was dry. Even this weekend is looking wet.

Best of luck with the new job.

Enjoy the Lake District Phil, and we're counting on you now for 2024!

Thanks everyone. A season in the Lakes should be fun and it should also go quite some way to building up the climbing muscles.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A good days cycling in the Kent lanes today.
105 miles on the clock. Imperial century #323 over all and century month 249 in a row. A third of the year done already.
Screenshot_20230402_161627_Connect.jpg

20230402_084403.jpg

20230402_084556.jpg

robjh

Legendary Member
I'm travelling around mainland Europe for a month on an Interrail ticket, with my Brompton for bike company, and have got April's century in today, in Northern Italy starting near the city of Piacenza.
IMG_20230416_230432.jpg
The plains around the river Po are almost entirely flat, and were at first quite disappointing scenery-wise, flat fields punctuated by the occasional attractive little towns, but things got better as I neared the river itself, and paths ran on dykes across the floodplain or by the water.
Still, I found it a long day on the Brompton. Not difficult or uncomfortable, it is in many ways a very nice ride, but it is not made for speed! I did a lightning tour of the historic centre of Reggio, then got the train back to Piacenza, arriving after dark.

Kept coming back to this long distance route
IMG_20230416_085412.jpg

Crossing the Po
IMG_20230416_145836.jpg

13 rider

Guru
April's done ,Missed the good weather early in the month and it was looking like a potentially wet ride to get it done , Fortunately today's forecast was good so went for it . Chilly first thing but warmed up and turned into a lovely cycling day . 108 finest imperial miles ,Home out to the Vale of Belvoir round Grantham to Newark grabbing a few velo veiwer squares . Had a nice cross tail wind home which is the opposite of normal so that was nice

13 rider

Guru
Mays done nice an early . Having been invited away on Holiday by my sister to darkest Shropshire which happens to be 80 miles away from home , A decision was made by me to ride there . An extended route enabling me to grab some velo viewer squares around Birmingham and a 100 miler was on . 101 imperial miles with 5500Ft of upness. A savage end to the ride crossed the ride Severn at Stourbridge which left 18 miles to go with over 2000ft of climbing lots of ups and downs with plenty of 12% kicks . My sister always picks really hilly places to go to I think she has it in for me

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Did my May qualifying ride today too.
A follow my nose, no real plan ride of 123 miles through Surrey and Kent.
A great day for it, not cold, very little wind, a bit of sun and a tiny smattering of rain.
Loads and loads of other cyclists out and about too.
So, scores on the doors
123 miles
Imperial century month 150 in a row
Imperial century # 325.
A good few future Eddington numbers in the bag.
Back on the commute tomorrow.

Screenshot_20230501_182915_Connect.jpg

20230501_111840.jpg

20230501_111802.jpg

20230501_102657.jpg

20230501_091520.jpg

20230501_144813.jpg

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Did my May qualifying ride today too.
A follow my nose, no real plan ride of 123 miles through Surrey and Kent.
A great day for it, not cold, very little wind, a bit of sun and a tiny smattering of rain.
Loads and loads of other cyclists out and about too.
So, scores on the doors
123 miles
Imperial century month 150 in a row
Imperial century # 325.
A good few future Eddington numbers in the bag.
Back on the commute tomorrow.

View attachment 687876

View attachment 687877

View attachment 687878

View attachment 687879

View attachment 687882

View attachment 687883
Is that a Monkey puzzle tree 😂😂

robjh

Legendary Member
I did May's ride on Saturday 13th, which was incidentally my birthday. I was on the 'Jelly Fish Legs' 400 k audax from Stevenage to the Cotswolds and back, and finished the full 260-odd miles the next day at lunchtime, but reached my 100 mile mark at around 7pm on the 13th, near Chipping Camden.
It was overall great fun, but as my first 400k it did get to be tough going in the latter parts. I'm not that fast, and realised that I need to organise my early food stops better - ie stop for less time but eat more appropriately - so that I have time for a proper nap at some time in the night. As it was I got just two episodes of dozing for 5 minutes each (at service stations, not while on the bike ^_^), and felt shattered once I finally stopped.
And also I met @Ming the Merciless in the flesh.

start and 100-mile mark shown here
1684267155009.png

The little loop in Warwickshire is due to a Garmin freeze in the night - I hadn't noticed that it had stopped refreshing and missed a turning, only becoming suspicious a few km later when I noticed that it was displaying the same thing every time I lit it up. Luckily it sorted itself out later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom