The importance of electrolyte in the body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
When in hospital recovering from my little shunt over the handlebars , a concerned nurse asked me if I’d been ill recently because my sodium levels were very low. I replied that sweaty winter nights on the turbo probably accounted for that. So, to add to my woes, I spent the next week or so on a saline drip!

Trevrev

Veteran
This thread has opened my eyes, as to why i might be suffering after long runs and hard gym sessions. I sweat buckets and drink lots of water and feel like crap for days.
This could be my saviour.
This might be a stupid question. Whats the difference between these High5 Tabs, that are quite expensive, to Basic Rehydration packs you can get from Boots and Tesco for Diarrhoea and prevention of Dehydration?

Not sure but i didn't think anything was cheap from boots. High5 tabs are quite often available at half price or so so i stock up then. Never pay full price. Aldi now and again do things that i think are pretty similar, maybe around £3 a tube.

vickster

Legendary Member
The basic Boots stuff tastes foul (as does the cheaper Superdrug stuff...and at £2 for 5 vs £3.50 on special for 20 high5, there’s not much difference) (that said for me only the grapefruit high5 are vaguely palatable).

On sale at Halfords in various flavours
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/training/sports-nutrition/high5-zero

You could also try just adding a bit of salt and squash (with sugar) to your water

Last edited:
I do like berry high5.
Must say I do think the things work on hard rides.
Now and again if I'm not careful after a hard ride I get cramp in the middle of the night I stagger downstairs and chew on a tab. Has always brought immediate relief and a trouble free night. Seems odd - ,,too fast - possibly a placebo effect but works for me.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I suffer with cramp quite badly if I don't use a salt tablet for a hard turbo session. I normally drink two bottles on the turbo - one with a salt tablet and the other just plain water.

I only like to use as little as possible - don't want to go overboard and have a stroke later in life!

sleuthey

Legendary Member
There was a program on channel 5 last night called "the big fat lies about diet and exercise". They said the main 2 electrolyte needed are potassium and sodium. If you look at the ingredient for Lo Salt this is exactly what it contains and is allot cheaper than zero tablets

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I sweat too. Tidal marks are the new rage you know.

The offerings from SIS work best for me and they often discount down by 50%. I use their hydro tabs and the powder with carbs. Great products and easy on the gut.

In hot weather on long rides I use Salt Sticks Fast Chews. Those have conquered nausea and cramp in the past.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Too many people only consume sweet stuff on rides. Bananas are great for Potassium but savoury foods such as pork pies, pepparami, sausage rolls, crisps etc provide both energy, protein and salt. On long rides I can start hallucinating pork pies....
So, eat diverse with a smattering of salty snacks.

There was a program on channel 5 last night called "the big fat lies about diet and exercise". They said the main 2 electrolyte needed are potassium and sodium. If you look at the ingredient for Lo Salt this is exactly what it contains and is allot cheaper than zero tablets
Interesting.
Do you use it?
Anyone else use it?

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Once I discovered electrolyte tabs they made a very large difference to how I felt towards the end and after a ride. I get the lime flavour from Decathlon. My daughter tried it and wanted to try the berry flavour. She had a much better, longer ride and there was a definite reduction in the amount of moaning (she's 8 and moaning appears to be a new favourite hobby currently - she enjoys cycling, but enjoys moaning more...), and far more smiles. I call this an excellent result.

Top Bottom