The importance of electrolyte in the body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nibor

Bewildered
Back in the 70's we bought some green salty stuff in a bottle and added a couple of spoonfuls to our water bottles. The name evades me but was meant to replace salts. Tasted shocking lol. I wondered if the name ended in...ade?

I wonder if it's in the Holdsworth catalogue?
Gatorade

vickster

Legendary Member
LoSalt you get in supermarket and is 66% Potassium, 33% Sodium. Dioralyte you get in a chemist and contains Potassium, Sodium and a couple of other chemicals.
according to the MHRA http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1419832696764.pdf
Each sachet contains glucose 3.56g, sodium chloride 0.47g, potassium chloride 0.30g and disodium hydrogen citrate 0.53g. The other ingredients are saccharin sodium, silicon dioxide and natural flavour

sleuthey

Legendary Member
according to the MHRA http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1419832696764.pdf
Each sachet contains glucose 3.56g, sodium chloride 0.47g, potassium chloride 0.30g and disodium hydrogen citrate 0.53g. The other ingredients are saccharin sodium, silicon dioxide and natural flavour
Yep, you've found it, thats the stuff!! All I did was moan to my GP about headaches after exercise and she prescribed it. As I have a pre-payment card anyway its free!

vickster

Legendary Member
Good old NHS ;)

May well end up being one of the growing list of OTC products no longer accessible on prescription

I sweat too. Tidal marks are the new rage you know.

The offerings from SIS work best for me and they often discount down by 50%. I use their hydro tabs and the powder with carbs. Great products and easy on the gut.

In hot weather on long rides I use Salt Sticks Fast Chews. Those have conquered nausea and cramp in the past.
We should start a photo thread on the most impressive salt stained kit^_^

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We should start a photo thread on the most impressive salt stained kit^_^
I've never taken a photo of my face on a very long hot summer ride, but I have often come home with salt crystals all over it. The first time it happened I didn't know if the crystals WERE salt or not, so I tasted them to confirm that they were indeed salt.

This has made me think that I really ought to take in extra salt on such rides. The only food I ever add salt to is chips and that would only be 4 or 5 times a year.

I have now bought salted peanuts and crisps for a longish ride later in the week. I like both but usually avoid them because they are too more-ish and everybody normally goes on about avoiding excessive salt intake. It will be interesting to see if they affect how I feel on the ride. (I have been getting a bit light headed on long rides recently.)

Top Bottom