England : Essex The Joy Of Essex: Saturday 22 June from Manningtree

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Heading off to Manningtree now for breakfast, the drizzle seems to be easing. Hopefully it'll be dry when the ride starts proper at 10am.

Tim, Recumbentee would be tops!

Spally

Beautiful morning for it! Lol bit delayed in leaving mine but half way now. ETA 09.30

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Go west young man! Follow the river inland.

Goldcoast

Gutted I wasn't able to make this, the OH had to collect some stuff this morning, so I needed to watch the kids....give you three guess where she has gone to collect - yes Manningtree

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
I did, as I suspected might be the case, finish at 2am. Disappointed not to make it, hope you guys have a lovely ride.

Tim Hall

Cracking day, thanks Auntie Helen. A bit of faffage and bike decision delay meant I almost missed my train up to London, but it all came right in the end. Wandered into the cafe at Manningtree to find Auntie Helen and fboab of YACF fame already there. Something of a clue was outside, in the shape of a recumbent trike and a fancy Ti bike. We were joined by Uncle James, his oppo, and Spally, following his tour of Essex station car parks. After a brief game of "guess the size of the Cycle Chat jersey" we were off. Out into Manningtree, where fboab had a go at raising her heart rate by not seeing a concrete truck. Calm was restored, as a we paused at the clock, which seems to have something wrong.
IMGP1214.JPG

Then past Mistely Towers. Robert Adam. obv.
IMGP1215.JPG

A few miles of quiet lanes, an abandoned airfield
IMGP1219.JPG

the odd stray onion and we were at coffee. Cakes and scones were devoured, nonsense was talked, then out again, pausing briefly to make "oops rather too loud" comments about the art on display. I really liked this one though:
IMGP1229.JPG

A lovely tail wind We were going really well, a few hills, some gorgeous villages and then lunch. Where fboab had artfully arranged sausages.
IMGP1241.JPG

Spally had to shoot off, so then we were five. Uncle James and Andrew (I think, I'm rubbish at names) peeled off after lunch , so I enjoyed the company of the ladies all to myself. Some days are really good. A bit of a head wind, where I found drafting a recumbent trike doesn't really work and then we were back in Manningtree. A swift coffee/tea/cup of hot water as appropriate and then trains arrived. I snoozed back to London.

Great day, thanks everyone. Rest of the pics here

Top Bottom