The joy of not having a 'posh' car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Yesterday our lease car was collected, we had extended the lease through the pandemic like many, I suspect. But since retiring in July, we really don't need a posh motorway cruiser anymore.
It's such a liberating feeling, we now have a 10 year old 'supermini' class of car that we bought from a local garage to replace it. We'll look after it, but if we come back to it and it has collected a door ding, we won't even give it a second thought.
I'm now part of the club that values retirement more than owning a 'posh' car (whatever that is).
Bliss.
We'll probably rent a car if we ever get back to the French Alps next year...

PK99

Legendary Member
Yesterday our lease car was collected, we had extended the lease through the pandemic like many, I suspect. But since retiring in July, we really don't need a posh motorway cruiser anymore.
It's such a liberating feeling, we now have a 10 year old 'supermini' class of car that we bought from a local garage to replace it. We'll look after it, but if we come back to it and it has collected a door ding, we won't even give it a second thought.
I'm now part of the club that values retirement more than owning a 'posh' car (whatever that is).
Bliss.
We'll probably rent a car if we ever get back to the French Alps next year...

Interesting, we have long had 2 cars: Honda Civic Tourer and Honda Jazz aka shopping trolley.

Jazz has just gone as we see longer UK and continental holidays beckoning

OP
OP
D

dodgy

Interesting, we have long had 2 cars: Honda Civic Tourer and Honda Jazz aka shopping trolley.

Jazz has just gone as we see longer UK and continental holidays beckoning
We had a Golf R Estate, it's the most complete performance car/shopping car/touring car going imo. But over the years I drove it like the guy in Miss Daisy.
Just thinking while writing this that the car isn't outside the house anymore makes me happy :laugh:

Sharky

Guru
We bought a new posh car when I got made redundant. A zafira in 2002. Still have it, although it is now just our 2nd car and mainly used by me for taking the bike to events and rubbish to the tip.

So almost 20 yrs old, but I can't really work out when it stopped being posh.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

We bought a new posh car when I got made redundant. A zafira in 2002. Still have it, although it is now just our 2nd car and mainly used by me for taking the bike to events and rubbish to the tip.

So almost 20 yrs old, but I can't really work out when it stopped being posh.
I think when you stop worrying about it, it's no longer posh. And that's a good thing imo.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I buy nearly new. Current car is a lovely place to sit (Nissan Primera - P12), and had all the toys, sat nav, reversing camera, great sound, carries 4 bikes plus riders. It's getting on for 20 years old. It will do 80 on the motorway with 4 bikes on top, when needed. I do get hissed off if it get's marked as I've looked after it, as I bought it at 10 months old and it still looks very nice for an old car.

I'll be keeping it as the bike carrier. I have plans for another car, but it will be about 5-10 years old and another Nissan, but with a 3.7 engine.:laugh:

We'll also keep our 2012 Qashqai, that replaced a Yaris we had for years and years. The Qashqai is OK for chucking bikes in the back, but MrsF not too happy with that - and shoving them on the roof requires a ladder.:wacko: It's great for town though, massive beefy suspension, black 'impact' lower doors stop lazy parkers denting it. It ain't fast or chuckable though, but nice to drive.

Both cars get looked after.

I suppose with a Golf R, you are worried about someone breaking in for the keys etc. etc. Good get away cars. You can't use the power most of the time. I perfer riding the bike as driving isn't enjoyable with traffic.

OP
OP
D

dodgy

I still worry about mine. It's also all beige inside (why did I do that), has survived two kids and bike oil. Baby wipes are a god send.
You have entered a new phase, the car isn't posh anymore, you're just emotionally attached to it. Which is completely understandable, I tend to be like that with long held possessions.

fossyant

You have entered a new phase, the car isn't posh anymore, you're just emotionally attached to it. Which is completely understandable, I tend to be like that with long held possessions.

Like my bikes too. :laugh: My wife says 'you need a new one' - I'm like why, it works, costs no money, is clean and respectable, and I'm not likely to need a car that much with WFH - I'm going back commuting by bike.

My Road bikes, I'd kill if someone damaged them. Both around 30 years old, but my Ribble I spent a fair few weeks repainting the frame. My best bike is still on the original paint scheme though.

My old car is a nice place to sit TBH. It's still got more tech than many cars 10 years newer - it's old now though, but all cars are out of date quick now. Mine has Sat Nav etc (managed to update it via ebay) and the screen does all the climate control, audio, and car settings - but it doesn't have bluetooth etc. CD changer in the boot, single CD in the dash.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My car stopped being 'posh' when I realised the bike attached to the back of the Saab convertible was worth more than the car. So I sold it.

These days I drive a battered Peugeot Partner Tepee which doesn't matter if it gets more scratches or dents and can take 2 bikes plus loads of kit inside. I can fit another 3 on the roof easily, 4 if pushed.

SWMBO has a Honda Jazz which we've refurbished this year before she gets a nearly new car in 3-4 years' time.

Having bought the Peugeot 4 years ago I've intended to keep it for 5 years. It's done that and I'm beginning to look at options for a replacement; my left knee needs it to be an automatic, and my right foot needs cruise control. It'll have to be a petrol, and spacious, which limits my choice. Particularly as I always have a very limited budget.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I'm a dedicated fan of bangers. My last four vans were all driven to the scrappy when their condition entered the terminal phase.. Other road users tend to give you a wide berth in London traffic because they see the state of your motor and think that you are likely to casually ding their pride and joys without a care in the world.

fossyant

There is Bangers and just old cars. I really don't see the need to spend £50k on a car, EV or not. I've really no need. If the car works, isn't a money pit, just drive it. More important stuff in my life than having a flashy car - I spend it on my bikes (old ones too). If a car got un-reliable, then it's time for a change.

I don't do 'bangers' - car or bikes. Old is fine, but they have to work properly. :okay:

Top Bottom