The joys of a new route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Anyone else love discovering a new route/road ? I always pass a road called Church Lane while going through Ficklestone in the North Downs, today I turned right into it and first right again onto Scotshall Lane. Lovely bit of road comprising top fast turns and little up bits to keep you on your toes. Went back onto Laymans a different way too, even collecting a few PB,s :bicycle:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Always, and surprised how little I know my local area given I've lived here all my life

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sometimes just forget gps etc and follow your nose.
Oh I take the gps and then I can find the bloomin' route again. After all, if its a great new route, its a shame not to be able to find it again. Sometimes I ride and I think 'oh, that looks like a nice road' and go off down it only to tell hubby about it and then not be able to find it a couple of days later as I'm convinced that it's on such-and-such road and it's not.

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Oh I take the gps and then I can find the bloomin' route again. After all, if its a great new route, its a shame not to be able to find it again. Sometimes I ride and I think 'oh, that looks like a nice road' and go off down it only to tell hubby about it and then not be able to find it a couple of days later as I'm convinced that it's on such-and-such road and it's not.
That is me all the time, I can never remember the location or how I got there in the first place. I'm renowned for going through routes with my ride buddies and saying "where's this" ?, only for them to say we went up here last week.

RedRider

Pulling through
Anyone else love discovering a new route/road ? I always pass a road called Church Lane while going through Ficklestone in the North Downs, today I turned right into it and first right again onto Scotshall Lane. Lovely bit of road comprising top fast turns and little up bits to keep you on your toes. Went back onto Laymans a different way too, even collecting a few PB,s :bicycle:
Ooh, I do a bit of cycling round there so will take a turn down Scotshall next time! Must admit to being a creature of habit so should deffo explore more. One of my favourite bits around there (bit more to the east, over the M25) is Knatt's Valley /Maplescombe Rd purely for how quiet and secluded the valley is and althoiugh it's not challenging or anything (it's a gentle, straight singletrack downhill for about 10k) it makes me think, 'I can't believe this magical place is an hour (or so) from crazy Camberwell'.'

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Im rubbish at navigation and can get lost in my own kitchen, but I want to do a bit more exploring in the area that I live in. Im going to take my tablet with me so I can find my way round and I have a few maps. When passing different villages in the car, i have seen little lanes, that I intend to explore on my bike. Im looking forward to it.

I am also a creature of habit and don't like going out of my comfort zone, so it will be interesting to say the least.

MikeG

Guru
I wish I could find some new routes! I've cycled every lane within 30 miles of home, I reckon, plus many of the rest inside 50 miles. Certainly to the North, West, and South. One of the benefits of belonging to a club is that they can drag you onto routes, or combinations of routes, that you are less familiar with. What I really need is a camper van, so that I can park up somewhere an hour away, and have a whole bunch of new lanes to explore.

I always prefer new routes, I like to just take a turn and see where it goes. It is even better for me at the moment as I have just moved back to the uk and don't know the area, so I end up getting a bit lost, but makes the cycling kind of exciting.

Davos87

Guru
Yes that's a good point MikeG and one a lot of us can identify with. We are all to some extent bounded to our own local geography by available time we have for a ride, physical condition etc. I am now very used to a lot of routes around my locale and at times it can feel a little repetitive and sometimes too familiar. I have thought about hoying the bike into the car, driving for 45 minutes and exploring other areas.

stuee147

my fav way to ride has always been just head what ever way looks nice and only worry about where i am when i need to think about heading home or finding a camp site. i hate having a structured rout and time scale wheres the fun in that lol

stuee

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I wish I could find some new routes! I've cycled every lane within 30 miles of home, I reckon, plus many of the rest inside 50 miles. Certainly to the North, West, and South. One of the benefits of belonging to a club is that they can drag you onto routes, or combinations of routes, that you are less familiar with. What I really need is a camper van, so that I can park up somewhere an hour away, and have a whole bunch of new lanes to explore.
Do what we do. Get on a train and spend the day wending your way home again.

outlash

also available in orange
It's probably my favourite thing about cycling apart from the actual act of erm, cycling. I help out with club run routes for the CC I'm a member of and when I find a stretch of road that hasn't been used before, I'll ride it for a recce and fold it into a route if it's suitable. Problem is now I'm almost out of roads! Another reason why I've bought a cross bike so I can ride a mix of trails and road so it keeps it interesting :smile:.
Another thing I occasionally do with mates is take a train to somewhere and ride back. Being on the east coast mainline does mean we go either north or south but it's a good laugh and new roads, new coffee stops makes it a bit of an adventure.

Tony.

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Ooh, I do a bit of cycling round there so will take a turn down Scotshall next time! Must admit to being a creature of habit so should deffo explore more. One of my favourite bits around there (bit more to the east, over the M25) is Knatt's Valley /Maplescombe Rd purely for how quiet and secluded the valley is and althoiugh it's not challenging or anything (it's a gentle, straight singletrack downhill for about 10k) it makes me think, 'I can't believe this magical place is an hour (or so) from crazy Camberwell'.'
Scotshall Lane is great Red, liking the sound of Knatt's valley, def gonna have a look over there. Thanx

Top Bottom