The Joys of Riding Locally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Not gone further than 3 miles from my (city) home, mainly because we have a toddler and I've been working from home so limited to 30 minutes, so it's been sprintervals more than anything. In all honesty I've been enjoying doing my commute roads with no traffic, especially in the evening, and am 2 seconds off my first ever (and probably only) KOM - unfortunately the tailwinds have died down so it might be a while yet. :smile:

Last edited:

8mph

Veteran
@Globalti
@Jody
@YukonBoy
Thanks for answering my query

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
This morning's 13-mile ride before work I rode to a place near me that I've never been to, found a nice little lane that passes a quiet lake (just inside the northern boundary of the London Borough of Hillingdon!), it was early and still just a bit chilly so there was some mist on the surface. No-one was about.

Never been there before! I've been in that general area but never in that exact place.
(to get there was A-roads all the way, but it's not far. Used to use that route a lot to get to some local time-trials near Denham)

Tomorrow will investigate a short bit of bridleway I spotted on Tuesday's ride.

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I've managed to get my Xbox addict teenage son to cycle a local 8ml loop regularly on one of my bikes during the Corona restrictions and, I find that a 36x25 gear choice gives my legs a decent spin over that distance :bicycle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Firstly just buying the 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey map for your area will reveal things you never knew existed and help join up the bits you do know. Hours studying the South Pennines map revealed a fantastic network of routes, most of them old packhorse trails, and gave me some of my best rides when I used to mountain bike. @ColinJ will agree on the richness of the area for walking and cycling.
I moved to Hebden Bridge (in the South Pennines) in 1986. All I did for 3 years was work, work, work, and slob out at home. I knew the town and my route to work, that was it. I got fat, unfit, and depressed. I bought a bike after being inspired by watching Greg Lemond's 8 second victory in the 1989 Tour de France. I also treated myself to all of the OS maps for the area. Over the years I systematically explored everywhere except for built-up areas, which I avoid where possible. Without those maps, I would never have found many of the great places that I now know so well.

Secondly and a bit less practical, a flight over your area in a balloon or a light aircraft is equally revealing; features like quarries that are blank on maps turn out to be unexpectedly big and busy and thanks to the eye's natural tendency to look for patterns, old railway lines and other lost features reveal themselves.
Agreed. Where a flight isn't possible, there's always 'satellite view' that online maps often provide. I find them fascinating and can pore over these (and maps) for hours.
Now there's an interesting coincidence. I had been wondering if I have actually been everywhere that I could round here by bike or on foot...

It turns out that there are quite a few footpaths that I haven't walked yet, since riding normally takes priority over walking. I have friends who walk but don't cycle, so I think we will go and walk some of those paths once the coronavirus crisis is over.

As for cycling... Most of the roads have been ridden, but I found a few offroad routes that looked worth investigating.

One thing caught my eye...

Ramsden Clough.png

The thick red line shows part of a mixed-terrain ride that I did with @Littgull a couple of years ago. I was thinking that the woods below Ramsden Clough reservoir looked like they would be good for a local walk. I have never been up there on foot. Then it struck me.... I had no recollection of seeing Ramsden Clough reservoir on the bike ride! I decided to check on Google Maps...

GM AV Ramsden Clough.jpg

Okay, who's nicked me bleedin' reservoir! :smile:

I found this interesting snippet online...

United Utilities spokesman said:
Local knowledge and the feedback we have received from the Calder Valley communities worst affected by flooding means we can target specific locations where the money spent will have the greatest benefit.

Following July’s flood in Walsden locals called for work on defences to “slow down” flood water as it came off the hills.

Walsden councillor Andrew Hartley said he doubted that floods could be prevented entirely but he favoured investigating whether disused reservoirs could be used to store flood water during heavy downpours.

His suggestion that disused Ramsden Clough reservoir could be used was dismissed by owner United Utilities which said “ground conditions” meant it was no longer suitable.

ColinJ

PS The map above was lifted from the 1:25,000 OS Explorer map of the UK that I have on all of my devices. It is a single seamless digital map covering the entire UK apart from Northern Ireland. I also have the 1:50,000 Landranger map and the 1:10,000 street map.

I just received an email from Memory Map telling me about their 2020 Platinum Pack Flash Sale - for a limited time you can download the latest versions of those 3 maps for £125, which is an amazing saving over the cost of hundreds of paper maps. Details HERE.

If you have a decent colour printer you can print out any areas that you want to have on paper, though I never feel the need. I own the local paper maps, but just use the digital maps outside this area.

Globalti

Legendary Member
PS The map above was lifted from the 1:25,000 OS Explorer map of the UK that I have on all of my devices. It is a single seamless digital map covering the entire UK apart from Northern Ireland. I also have the 1:50,000 Landranger map and the 1:10,000 street map.

I just received an email from Memory Map telling me about their 2020 Platinum Pack Flash Sale - for a limited time you can download the latest versions of those 3 maps for £125, which is an amazing saving over the cost of hundreds of paper maps. Details HERE.

If you have a decent colour printer you can print out any areas that you want to have on paper, though I never feel the need. I own the local paper maps, but just use the digital maps outside this area.

How good is the detail Colin? Or does it depend on your printer? I ask because recently we got a 1:25,000 map printed by OS centred on our house and I'm not very impressed with the quality of the printing.

Edit: I've ridden your Limer's Gate a few times, so-called because it was used by packhorse trains carrying lime to reduce the acidity of the fields. The Burnley end is a bleak place under high-voltage cables with occasional visits by travellers and frequent dumping of rubbish. You can get a good speed up in the middle section. It's quite an interesting ride as it passes what used to be a small privately-owned coal mine. Dunno if it still operates, I think I saw it on TV once. I seem to remember that the Todmorden end of the route was a bit disappointing to ride and quite muddy. I also seem to remember that the Rossendale Way BW that heads off the map southwards is a better ride. Not been over that way for a good ten years or longer though.

Last edited:

ColinJ

How good is the detail Colin? Or does it depend on your printer? I ask because recently we got a 1:25,000 map printed by OS centred on our house and I'm not very impressed with the quality of the printing.
It should look very close to a pre-printed map if you have a decent colour printer. I don't own one so I don't print maps - they look bloody awful printed using a 20 year old monochrome laser printer! :laugh:

This is part of the map at its natural resolution, so what you should get with a decent printer. (The map posted above had been scaled.)

Ramsden Clough full scale.png

ColinJ

PS Actually, the CycleChat forum software has degraded the image slightly - it looks clearer than that on my computer before uploading.

And I forgot to add that you can use the maps with the GPS on a smartphone on the free MM app.

Memory Map on Xperia Ray.jpg

(That old phone is very small - it is much more usable on a bigger phone!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom