The Joys of Riding Locally

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I see them fly tippers have been out again.:laugh::laugh:
This is the nearest thing we have to fly tippers šŸ˜ At the end of the day they come out with a big sweeper and clear up. If they dont and I slip on it. They are held to account. šŸ˜Š

8mph

Veteran
I've been busy nursing someone for the last three weeks. Could someone please tell me what the current restrictions are (UK)? Is there a limit on how far we are allowed from home? Thanks in advance

geocycle

Legendary Member
Itā€™s been interesting exploring more of the local area on my 10-20 mile corona rides. Has made me realise how fortunate I am to have great countryside so close. Here are two pics from the last week. The first is my Thorn by the Lune estuary, the second is high above the Conder valley today.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The reason I have chosen to stay close to home is that I have a mechanical I cannot fix or an off. I will just point out that I dont subscribe to the "there is a virus, I may fall off and need an ambulance theory". But if I need Jannie to come and collect me. It will only be a short trip. Its also new for me to criss cross tracks, so close to home. I usually head out on a big loop. I know most of the local roads and tracks. But I have found a couple of new ones.

roley poley

Ɯber Member
have a look at a map site called.. Where's the path 3 ...you can do overlays of many sorts of map all in one, zoom in and compare sat and os with your position shown hours of fun and knowledge to be had best find I have had for ages

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've been busy nursing someone for the last three weeks. Could someone please tell me what the current restrictions are (UK)? Is there a limit on how far we are allowed from home? Thanks in advance

They are saying 2 kms but that's because for the majority of our sedentary population 2 kms is the exercise equivalent to a trip to the Moon and back. If the government had said "you can walk 15 miles or cycle 60 miles if you want" people would be out in their cars visiting beauty spots again. I don't think anybody with a brain would object to a 20 or 30 mile bike ride, alone or with one member of your isolation group.

Itā€™s been interesting exploring more of the local area on my 10-20 mile corona rides. Has made me realise how fortunate I am to have great countryside so close. Here are two pics from the last week. The first is my Thorn by the Lune estuary, the second is high above the Conder valley today.

Have you visited the very poignant village of Sunderland Point? There was a fascinating TV programme about it a few days ago - Villages by the Sea on BBC1. They touched briefy on the locals' involvement in the slave trade and the sad story of Sambo, whose grave is on the shore behind the village. If you do ride over be prepared for your bike to get filthy with salty mud on the tidal road. You might need to take a hot shower with it later.

In your second photo there are signs of old mine workings just up the hill. I wonder if there's anything interesting like old adits?

There's a nice circular ride we do from Pilling along the sea wall to take the ferry over to Fleetwood, down the front then inland to the cafe at the country park, then past Skippool, a rather photogenic place and thence back over the Shard Bridge and back via the lanes. Done clockwise or anticlockwise depending on wind direction up the front.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git

There are no defined limits as such but you ought not to take the p*ss. I've been going out for anywhere up to 1.5 hours and not too far from home. The MTB community coined "Not far and no gnar" which kind of sums it up.

geocycle

Legendary Member
@Globalti Yes I saw the programme about Sunderland Point, very interesting. Iā€™ve enjoyed the series and for me that was probably the best in terms of the range of things covered. It is within corona riding distance so I might take a ride across there assuming the tide is out! Iā€™ve not been for a couple of years so perhaps this is the opportunity.

You might be right about mine workings, Iā€™ll investigate further! Thanks also for the tip about the route near Pilling. I have ridden down there but donā€™t really know it well as I normally head north and east. The Fleetwood ferry is great, a real throwback! I hope they are managing to keep it going.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
There aren't any restrictions on distance.You must ride alone or with people you live with.

Personally I am keeping within an approximately 10 mile radius of home as I could get home on foot carrying the bike should the bike have a major mechanical .it's extremely unlikely to happen but sods law would apply.

PS In Wales the rules have changed, still no actual distance but you are told to stay local to home and go no further than a reasonabe walk.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
First time out on the bike since October (I know, shameful), but a nice brisk half hour to get the legs back into trim for what will hopefully be a good summer. Very nice with next to no traffic, it makes riding so peaceful.

And yes, the stain on the bars of the gate and the damp patch on the ground is just what you're thinking it is. What do you think I stopped for?

KneesUp

Guru
45 minutes of pottering today on my mountain-bike-that-was-drop-bar-for-commuting-but-is-now-flat-bar-again bike: the drop bars were great on road, but the handling was a bit sketchy off road (probably me) so I've put the original bars and thumbies back on for now, plus some scavenged brake levers from the parts box.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
First time out on the bike since October (I know, shameful), but a nice brisk half hour to get the legs back into trim for what will hopefully be a good summer. Very nice with next to no traffic, it makes riding so peaceful.

And yes, the stain on the bars of the gate and the damp patch on the ground is just what you're thinking it is. What do you think I stopped for?

View attachment 513733

Pee or puke šŸ˜

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have some cracking stuff locally. We have an off road which tackles two ascents of a local hill. Round trip is just 10 miles, but over 1500ft of climbing. Fortunately its rewarded with two good descents, although one is a bit Gnar for the current climate, so Ive only come back the faster less tricky descent.

Top Bottom