The Kayak, Canoe and Small Boat thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Exactly what it says in the tin.

Ive a cheap Riber sit on top that I never used at all last year due to t'lockdown keeping us local for exercise. Although the nearest landing point js barely 2 miles away by the time id got in a decent paddle up the canal I could have gone 20 or 25 miles.

Anyway, like the lead singer of Yes, our very own @numbnuts , Ive decided to get back into it. The Riber is going on ebay and im going to get something similar, but plusher - a bit bigger for me, more storage, a bit more buoyancy in hand (Im close to the limit on the Riber).

I can't eskimo roll or self extract when inverted due to mobikity issues in one arm and shoulder, so I stick with the sit on top. That suits me fine for the level of casual inland waterway bimbling in which I partake, although a little bit of inshore sea kayaking might be fun to try. With leg staps im properly connected and have easily as much control as I would in a conventional kayak.

So, come hither, and talk about fun on the water.

T4tomo

Guru
We're paddling down the Wye for a couple of days at the end of July all being well, 18/20 of us in double canoes I think - what ever the big open ones are called. Will report back, hope the weather is good.

I keep meaning to get back in to kayaking and/or canoeing, as it's something I really enjoy, particularly on a nice still river. I haven't got back to it after taking a load of training that I had the opportunity to do, which I felt was really worthwhile.

I sail a bit in my little boat when time allows, mainly inland lakes and waterways.

It doesn't have to be expensive.

419106_artikelbild-flex_1vclrY_wnKUOb.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I accompanied the owner of my local bike shop for a bike/boat multi-modal commute.

Two of us set off from the shop on Bromptons to board his boat at Sunderland marina, tootle up the North Sea for a few miles to North Shields, then jump back on the bikes.

The wonder of it is we managed not to drop a Brompton in the water at one end or the other.

All good fun, but a nonsense as a commute, not least because it cost him £30 to park the boat near the shop for the day.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have 4 kayaks ( a couple commandeered by the kids) and two paddleboards and spend quite a lot of time on the water. I have the river Avon just 50 metres from my house so it is simple to pop out for a bit, I am also a BC Paddlesports Instructor which I tend to use mostly with the Sea Scouts. Paddleboarding has taken off massively since lockdown and this has really opened up the rivers to all sorts of people, on a warm weekend some parts of the river get really crowded. I would suggest a canoe if you have mobility problems and are larger than the average bear, you have a multitude of positions you can get into and don't have to get wet like a sit on top. I sold my family canoe at the beginning of lockdown because of storage issues and a lack of use. I am on the look out for a royalex canoe for solo paddling, but prices are still crazy.

I have acquired over the years: two open canoes, two SOTs, a sea kayak, two SUPs, an Orkney fishing boat and an Aquaglide (inflatable dinghy). That's almost as many boats as I have bikes. I once had a serious fishing habit (which was what the SOTs were mainly used for) but now paddling for paddling's sake is more the order of the day, which is why I eventually bought a 'proper' sea kayak, a couple of years ago.
Just as cyclechat has led to me meeting some lovely people out on the road, so kayak fishing and canoeing has led to some truly memorable paddling trips, often with various internet based groups, such as: 'anglers afloat' and 'song of the paddle'. Now it seems lockdown is finally easing (fingers crossed), I hope to repeat some similar such things before I become too old and decrepit or some zombie plague throws a spanner in the works. (:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have acquired over the years: two open canoes, two SOTs, a sea kayak, two SUPs, an Orkney fishing boat and an Aquaglide (inflatable dinghy). That's almost as many boats as I have bikes. I once had a serious fishing habit (which was what the SOTs were mainly used for) but now paddling for paddling's sake is more the order of the day, which is why I eventually bought a 'proper' sea kayak, a couple of years ago.
Just as cyclechat has led to me meeting some lovely people out on the road, so kayak fishing and canoeing has led to some truly memorable paddling trips, often with various internet based groups, such as: 'anglers afloat' and 'song of the paddle'. Now it seems lockdown is finally easing (fingers crossed), I hope to repeat some similar such things before I become too old and decrepit or some zombie plague throws a spanner in the works. (:
I was on Anglers Afloat :smile:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Sea kayaking was a big passion of mine for several years. As well as day trips along the West coast of Cumbria i would go up to Scotland annually and paddle for several days, wild camping along the way. Below are some photos of a four day circumnavigation of Rassey and Rona, between Skye and the mainland.

Since moving to Germany the sea couldn't be further away and the paddling dropped by the way side. Then last year we decided to buy an inflatable Kayak and stand up paddle board from Decathlon. I would love to get a canoe, but we have no space for storage, so the inflatable boats are perfect. We have a peaceful large river, just a few hundred metres from us and it's perfect for a paddle with the kids and dog in tow.

The boats are really good value for money and relatively easy to transport around. I'm also pondering getting a small transport trolley to eventually get the sea kayak back out and onto the river as well.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Funnily enough I just got two kayaks late last year. They'd been really hard to get but found some on sale (absolutely ghastly colour, but hey that's why they were available and on sale) and then got another 20% off using a promo code so they ended up being ridiculously cheap. I think a lot has to do with how much you think you'll get into it, and where you think you'll be paddling.

I realized I'd never be paddling in the ocean or doing white water rapids or anything above class 0.01 rapids. As such, a cheapie kayak was fine for me. I also realized I'm not going to be passionate about kayaking (Eskimo Roll is a dessert to me) and a gentle paddle down a shallow low current river or a pond or lake was all I wanted to do. I still put some flotation in the kayaks but I have to say for what I want from them, they are perfect. They are definitely not fast, but track pretty well.

Top Bottom