The last cut is the deepest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Autumn is upon us, temperatures are dropping and things are getting moist. But enough talk of my Y fronts, the weather is going the same way as well.

So the rate if growth for grass and hedgerow is getting slower, and many will be considering the final cut of the year.

So this thread is to let us know when you plan to do the last cut, and to report back when its done. Extreme kudos to the person that manages it the latest :okay: The best Ive ever managed myself was Christmas Eve.

I was thinking of this weekend, but the weather looks a bit pants. Im busy during the week, so I'm eyeing up next weekend, Sunday 7th November, to give mine a short back and sides. I will give a sitrep in due course.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hopefully we did the last cut last week (or Mr WD did).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well, the rear garden is quite steep as we are buried in the side of a hill.

Grass has been wet and ankle-turningly slippery since the end of July. It has not been cut since then and is now between 6"-12" long.

Still very, very wet due to the recent mad rains here in The Lakes so I doubt it will get shorn until next Spring - it does look a mess but hey-ho it's only grass.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I did mine 12 days ago and it's already noticeably longer so it's not slowed down hugely yet. The weather is looking foul this weekend however so it'll be another week before it gets a cut.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I did mine about one week ago and don't intend to do it again till the spring now although it seems that it is still growing at a higher rate than expected. I shall ignore it for now but Mrs G may not and might suggest another cut ? :sad:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Probably one more cut.
I try to time it so its cut on the same day Welshie changes her bloomers but the rain does affect things.

End of September for the lawn grass/moss area, and the privet hedges.

I might go out and prune butcher most of the shrubs to just above ground level with the hedge trimmer as usual in autumn, once the rain stops. Never seems to do them much harm despite my neighbour, a keen gardener, telling me I am doing it all wrong. I have possibly probably killed one or two in the past, but that has just turned into an opportunity to shove some other random shrub in the ground. Planning the garden has never been a strong point.

raking-leaves-smiley-emoticon.gif

postman

Legendary Member
I did ours about four weeks ago,including next doors.Our mower died this summer so i borrowed next doors.Trouble is it's one of those that shoots the cuttings out sideways so over the place,and it takes more time to sweep up as it does cutting.So nothing at all is getting done now I have finished.

Top Bottom