The Last Post.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Within a few weeks of the big six-0 I have decided to retire from active cycling. Various other commitments over the past year meant I only got out a couple of times, and after an attempt to re-start a few weeks ago I came to the conclusion that age and terrain has got the better of me, so both bikes have been sold along with most of my kit and equipmment. My two wheel love is now a scruffy Kawasaki GPZ500 so I haven't given up biking, just the pedal kind.

As a non-cyclist it would not be proper to post on a cycling forum anymore, though I dare say I might look in from time to time but purely as a lurker. So, thanks to friends and foe alike for some very informative and entertaining years, good luck to all and I can only finish off by saying -

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5ya_Gq8d4Q

Adious!!!

Sorry to see you go, take care out there.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Shame. I don't believe it's age - I've clocked 58, and I'm still not ready to give up the cycling, fags and beer - but I can believe it's the terrain if you're out of condition.

Doseone

Guru
You're a good forum member SJ and one whose posts I have enjoyed in my relatively short time on here.

The decision to quit cycling is obviously a very personal one, but I don't understand why you're doing it from the information you've given above. Also, who says you can't still post? I'm sure you wouldn't be the only person on here who isn't actively cycling.

Anyway, that's the nature of forums I guess, people come and go. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Having ridden in North Pembs it would most likely be the road surfaces that would cause me to quit!

Maz

Guru
Sorry to hear this, Smokin Joe. Do drop in again if you can - I enjoy your comments. Take care and Peace be With You.

Canrider

Guru
As above, I don't quite see why you need to 'retire'--you've cycled more in the past year than I have (Disclaimer: 39 in December, total miles this year zero due to a complete change in my commuting/childcare situation, hoping that changes after we move house in the next month or so but not entirely optimistic). It strikes me you're cutting off your nose to spite your face, but as Doseone (ironic, eh?) says, people come and go on forums. I'm still missing davej from the old C+ days, who was a fount of info on fixed/singlespeeds, and indeed motorcycles.

:eek:
Seriously? FWIW I suspect there are more than a few on CC who don't really ride and just because you don't now [never say never] does not mean you cannot continue to post on here, CC is always in need of experienced advice. Look after yourself.

Arch

Married to Night Train
:eek:
Seriously? FWIW I suspect there are more than a few on CC who don't really ride and just because you don't now [never say never] does not mean you cannot continue to post on here, CC is always in need of experienced advice. Look after yourself.

Absolutely. I've done nothing but commute this year, I don't hink I've done 300 miles in the year.

Unless this is a Ra-Ra skirt (flouncy).

Manonabike

Über Member
Very sorry to hear you have decided to retire Smokin Joe. I have enjoyed your posts and appreciated your helpful comments.

Hope to read your posts again.

Best wishes.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Am I gonna be left the only smoking cyclist on the forum??
Sorry to hear to felt the need to sell all your bikes and gear, something more than "terrain" must have happened, I fear.
But if you don't feel like posting on here anymore, look up the top of the home page, Shaun has an empire now.
There is a chat forum for everyone, hope to see you in one of them :hello:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Am I gonna be left the only smoking cyclist on the forum??
Sorry to hear to felt the need to sell all your bikes and gear, something more than "terrain" must have happened, I fear.
But if you don't feel like posting on here anymore, look up the top of the home page, Shaun has an empire now.
There is a chat forum for everyone, hope to see you in one of them :hello:

nah.

Top Bottom