The limits of mobile phonography (arachnophobes beware!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Here are three phone pics. Taken with a Moto G.
IMG_20170728_122019444.jpg
IMG_20170914_153459976.jpg
IMG_20181031_144006825.jpg

I tend to use the camera on my phone as a "visual notebook", although when I need to travel light, it's nice to have something that will take reasonable photos.

If I want to do any proper photography, then out come the DSLRs. I have a 10D and a 1Dmk2. They both still take cracking shots - the only downside to them is that they don't match the newer camera bodies when it comes to low light performance.

Though at the end of the day, decent glass trumps everything.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The only problem with DSLRs is that are huge lumps to lug about and you can't always have it with you for those impromptu shots.
You can take some very decent pictures on a mobile phone. I have a Pixel 2 which has an excellent camera and takes great shots. I also have a Sony RX100 which slips into a pockets and is capable of taking shots worthy of a much bigger unit.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
The only problem with DSLRs is that are huge lumps to lug about and you can't always have it with you for those impromptu shots.
You can take some very decent pictures on a mobile phone. I have a Pixel 2 which has an excellent camera and takes great shots. I also have a Sony RX100 which slips into a pockets and is capable of taking shots worthy of a much bigger unit.

My friend has one of those and it's lovely bit of kit that far exceeds its size expectations

I've taken some cracking shots with me Moto, and love the way it means I always have a damn good camera at my fingertips...but when I came across Mr spider making a meal of Mr wasp, the inability to focus meant it all came out rubbish:

View attachment 437560

Had to come & get my ancient Nikon D40 to get the pic:

View attachment 437561
I had the earlier D70 which took great pics but was a brick to carry around... still got a brick but a smaller one as well
Oh i switched teams in 2010
20180623_125152.jpg

Katherine

Guru
@swee'pea99 Would you like the title edited to say 'Photography'? Or leaving as it is?

That too LOL... Although a belt pack certainly helps even out the sideways list. :laugh:

I did a decade down on the fence line at various circuits around the UK. Didn't need to go to the gym for sure. :blush: I can hand hold a 100-400, but need a 'pod when it comes to the 300 2.8 :training:
I generally fall over carrying the one on the right :laugh::laugh::laugh:
20180623_125038.jpg

Salar

A fish out of water
Hi @Grant Fondo Nice cameras.

I didn't think the D70 was too bad a size, being a DX model. All those so called "consumer" Nikons, D40, D50, D70 still produce the goods.
The reason I still like my D50 is that it has AF motor built in to allow a wide range of lenses to be used, I think it was the only entry Nikon to have that.
But Nikon lenses, well lets say they are pricey.

I'm currently looking for a DSLR to use all my M42 lenses on with an adapter as I don't have the time these days to process film. Maybe early models of a Pentax K or a Canon EOS,

Top Bottom