The London Classic 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

I don't think there's a huge amount in it, but if Bikehike is to be believed (it shouldn't be - it is known to be inaccurate) then Canonbie delivers Teh Fear, by a smidge.
Canonbie:
8441937084_6160df1cb4_b.jpg

Westwood Park:
8441942732_50e6c64916_b.jpg

RedRider

Pulling through
Half signed up...will send off confirmation email when I'm back from work. Been meaning to do it the last coupla years. Will be on fixed/singlespeed, haven't decided yet.

saoirse50

Veteran
If I can get the Pomp up Canonbie, I can get it up anything.
Last year we took Canonbie from Honour Oak Road, (which I'm pretty sure is contre route) got to the top, turned 180° and came back down again - but we did that with gears.
I don't think there's any chance of doing that on fixed - You turn the corner and there's no run up, just vertically laid tarmac.
At least going the other way the ascent begins gradually, before biting you in the gluteus maximus.

(For the benefit of those not in the know - Canonbie Road, at 18%, is one of London's steepest ascents)
This ascent is on the Peaks of Lewisham Ride that Lewisham Cyclists run every year as an afterworker during Bike Week. Our ride was partly informed by an old sort of training ride I used to do three mornings a week before work many (many,many!) years ago, taking as many of SE London's hills as possible in about 15 miles or so.
And, last year, a young courier called Ben,(I think) got up the steep side of Canonbie, on fixed. And every other hill on that ride. And down every descent. Eyepopping (and thighpopping, for him,I would have thought).

U

User10571

This ascent is on the Peaks of Lewisham Ride that Lewisham Cyclists run every year as an afterworker during Bike Week. Our ride was partly informed by an old sort of training ride I used to do three mornings a week before work many (many,many!) years ago, taking as many of SE London's hills as possible in about 15 miles or so.
And, last year, a young courier called Ben,(I think) got up the steep side of Canonbie, on fixed. And every other hill on that ride. And down every descent. Eyepopping (and thighpopping, for him,I would have thought).
It was Ben.
And he had busted ribs at the time, as I recall.
Much respect!

Fully signed up now. What's the beer in the Gypsy Hill Tavern like?
It's wet, they do yellow, brown and black flavours.

Ie standard, not special.

Hi all.

We've been out finalising a route:smile:. We've listened to feedback from last year that the ride was too easy....well we hope not to disappoint this year as will be introducing two new climbs at the end...one of them features a section of 20% gradient :biggrin: ...more later...

oh heck

Top Bottom