The London Classic 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackfauxsure

In the past month or two i've ridden no more than 10 miles in one outing. I'm usually ok on hills, but honestly, am I likely to die on this London Classic tomorrow?

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Well .... Great ride, started out in shorts and short sleeve jersey with warm warmers, by Blackheath the arm warmers came off !! Just about to start the main climb on Fox Hill and was laughing when sure enough a fox crossed the road at the of the hill, stopped, looked round at us and just carried on crossing the road. A expresso in LMNH and a crafty pint of the black stuff in the Gipsy Hill tavern only added to a already very enjoyable day.

Well done to the rest of the CC massive that finished and a pat on the back to those that didn't.

U

User10571

Excellent day out!
Well organised.
Accomplished laminated arrowage throughout.
Hats off to those who's hard work made this ride a success in such fine, fine conditions.
I confess to feeling somewhat fraudulent in as much as today's ride was the shakedown for the c/f Scott I've just finished building.
The Scott made the ride effortless. The cobbles, I would invite to go and take a poke..... but the hills (Including Fox Hill's 20%er) effortless.
Isn't sunshine a lovely thing?

Mixed bag for us, mark's rear mech cable snapped within 5 minutes of setting off (which I was late for after being so very slow - had about 4 hrs sleep after being woken by kids and more irritatingly a whole bunch of pissed up Southend fans at 5am).

He went off to cadence to get it fixed, we went off to lmnh to wait for him, but right at the back of the field.

The cobbles seemed worse this year?

Popped into the dog and bell, but being an hour and a half late, didn't see anyone, same at the cutty sark, where we had pints of dogfish head DNA, lovely.

Legs made it up maze hill quite easily but chest started to hurt (has been doing all week), managed lots of the others too, but chest pain was getting worse. At the top of hilly fields I decided to bail (not been up the before, it was very nice), we rode on to honor oak station... No trains, after I waved off my chums I find this out of course so set off up honor oak, same story legs ok, chest burning.

Finally got home after a walk up Eliot bank and a solo effort home along the parade/triangle. Still feel crap.

Tomorrow = making a doctors appointment, must be a chest infection...

Sad to miss everyone (wanda excepted!) on such a glorious day, would have liked to see User10571s new plastic toy ;).

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Sorry to hear about your day Ceepeebee, hope the doctors appointment works out in your favour.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Mixed bag for us, mark's rear mech cable snapped within 5 minutes of setting off (which I was late for after being so very slow - had about 4 hrs sleep after being woken by kids and more irritatingly a whole bunch of ****ed up Southend fans at 5am).

He went off to cadence to get it fixed, we went off to lmnh to wait for him, but right at the back of the field.

Popped into the dog and bell, but being an hour and a half late, didn't see anyone, same at the cutty sark, where we had pints of dogfish head DNA, lovely.

Legs made it up maze hill quite easily but chest started to hurt (has been doing all week), managed lots of the others too, but chest pain was getting worse. At the top of hilly fields I decided to bail (not been up the before, it was very nice), we rode on to honor oak station... No trains, after I waved off my chums I find this out of course so set off up honor oak, same story legs ok, chest burning.

Finally got home after a walk up Eliot bank and a solo effort home along the parade/triangle. Still feel crap.

Sad to miss everyone (wanda excepted!) on such a glorious day, would have liked to see User10571s new plastic toy ;).
Sorry CPB, I missed your post with your ETA but it sounds like I would have been sloshing around by the time you got there. Now what am I going to do with the flapjacks I bought yesterday? (Rhetorical question.)

U

User10571

Mixed bag for us, .......

Sorry to hear this Chris.
The cobbles really hurt my bollox this year. (Sorry if that's tmi for anyone)
I think that's to do with riding a saddle that is straight out of the box.
The Scott is awesome on ascending and descending - confidence inspiring.
Hope you're feeling a bit more tonto soon.

RedRider

Pulling through
Took mudguards off on Friday evening to avoid unecessary rattling over cobbles, woke up Saturday morning with an ominously crippled back* and I'm only just standing up straight today. Gutted to have missed this and the perfect weather over the weekend. Sounds like a great event but sorry to hear of your travails ceepeebee. Was there some kind of jinx attached to this thread?

*I really must invest in a workstand and some pilates/alexander technique training.

wanda2010

Guru
As one half of a signage team I'm claiming kudos for the Covent Garden to Central Street arrows :laugh:. I slowly meandered around the course, tagging along with various groups en route. I missed out a hill or two in the Greenwich/Blackheath area but I'm not complaining. Managed Eliot Bank (part pavement) and Fox Hill. Canonbie broke me at the Netherby Road junction so I walked the rest. The downhill was great but realised almost too late there was a road at the bottom!

Would have liked to use my SS but the gearing wasn't suitable/weak legs so the roadie was pressed into service. Nice to see CPB :hello: also.

Next year I'm using 25s rather than 23s (new bike) and hope Eliot Bank is fixed.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
The unadopted section at the top of Eliot Bank has been like that since I moved to the area in 1996 and probably before that - so don't expect it to be any better for next year's Classic.

My legs are still aching after having winched my excess weight up those slopes. I must eat less and ride more.

Top Bottom