The London Classic 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

Thing is... by the time we get to that point, I'm so close to home that I can just say 'Oh f*** this for a bag of raspberries' - and just go home.
Not that I would, like.
Well, I didn't last year.........

I sort of did, it's such a nice flat run from that roundabout at the top of EB to the pub/my house that it's way too tempting to go straight there rather than squeeze in an extra couple of thigh-burners.

One of my party has just dropped out to go skiing in Scotland.

RedRider

Pulling through
O no, sorry to hear about the injuries. My 'hill training' has been somewhat curtailed by a dodgy back but thankfully not bad enuff to duck out. I only ask people bear it in mind if they see me huffing. Still looking forward to the ride, I just hope the wind/snow combo eases up!

Forecast looks pretty decent.

I haven't been on the bike since the weekend before last thanks to weather, visiting family and looking after boy on Easter break. Things could get messy, though I am absolutely itching to get on the bike.

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Just to keep the injury ball going, I'm nursing a dodgy shoulder after getting wiped out by a car last Sunday, painkillers are my friend at the moment. As long as the bike is in working order, I'm there !! it looks like the weather is going to be kind to us. Just as a measure of interest, is anyone gonna do the LMNH cafe stop ??

I usually manage an espresso, a can of chinotto and a slice of pastry-based product yeah.

We tend to have a drink at the cutty sark pub too.

Not sure what full plan is yet for this year though as I want to get round soon enough to watch plenty of Paris-Roubaix.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I usually manage an espresso, a can of chinotto and a slice of pastry-based product yeah.

We tend to have a drink at the cutty sark pub too.

Not sure what full plan is yet for this year though as I want to get round soon enough to watch plenty of Paris-Roubaix.
Any reason for not stopping at the Dog and Bell, Prince Street, SE8? You'll be pretty much going past it and it's far superior for beers - no problem taking your bike inside and leaving it in the rear garden if you don't have a lock with you. Plenty of bike stands outside if you do. I'm not a daytime drinker and I'm not registered for the ride but I've been fancying an excuse for a daytime drink. If you think you might, give us an ETA (Expected Time of Ale) and I'll meet you.

That's a really good shout you know. I don't think the route does go past it, but I've gone past it loads of times as its on one of my usual loops down into town and back of a Sunday morning. Every time I think it looks like a winner. Isn't there a squeeze connection?

I'll have a chat with the folks I'm riding with and get an idea of what time they'll get to mine (I'm only 5 mins at most from the start), that should give us an idea.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That's a really good shout you know. I don't think the route does go past it, but I've gone past it loads of times as its on one of my usual loops down into town and back of a Sunday morning. Every time I think it looks like a winner. Isn't there a squeeze connection?

I'll have a chat with the folks I'm riding with and get an idea of what time they'll get to mine (I'm only 5 mins at most from the start), that should give us an idea.
You are going past it, you know. I just looked at the route spreadsheet and Prince Street is line 140, between Evelyn and Watergate. Tell you what, I'll pick up some flapjacks from Greggs on the Saturday and you can feed up for the SE London hills.

OP
OP
tiswas-steve

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Just had a cheeky reccy up Fox Hill and the last part of the route. Gonna do the chavvy thing and nip up onto the pavement at the top of Elliot Bank, looks like the surface of the moon at the top of that one.

U

User10571

I rode Eliot Bank last year on 23s.
I. Am. Not. Doing. That. Again.

Top Bottom