The London 'cycling' underground

Riverman

Über Member
Instead of that badly designed 'cycling superhighway', disregarding cost, why not design an underground cycling network in London?

You'd get to your destination pretty quickly if it were designed properly, air quality maintained etc.

It would certainly put cycling on the map in London. Wonder how much it would cost? Perhaps the tunnels are already there.
 

Dayvo

Just passin' through
Location
oSLo
Good idea in theory, but I think it'd be a mugger's paradise! :blush:
 
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Über Member
Dayvo said:
Good idea in theory, but I think it'd be a mugger's paradise! :blush:
There are ways you could get around that. Perhaps requireing everyone to carry around an alarm that alerts the guards were something to happen, which if abused, the person abusing it would face fines etc.
 

Globalti

Legendary Member
The idea is not new; originally the plan was to move the air through the tunnels as well so as to assist cyclists.
 

palinurus

Legendary Member
Location
Watford
The tube could be made of a sort of clear plastic and run through a huge underwater aquarium full of those ugly fish you get right at the bottom of the sea.
 
Location
Midlands
Actually the problem in London would be finding routes -it is almost as congested under London as it is overground - unless of course a 100m 10% could be constructed at every entry/exit
 

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Location
Rugby
i always thought draining the canals, filling them in and tarmacking them over would give us a nice cycle network.

add a roof, lighting and under floor heating for the winter and Roberts your uncle bob
 
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Über Member
jig-sore said:
i always thought draining the canals, filling them in and tarmacking them over would give us a nice cycle network.

add a roof, lighting and under floor heating for the winter and Roberts your uncle bob
Ain't many canals in London though. :laugh:
 

buggi

Bird Saviour
Location
Solihull
palinurus said:
The tube could be made of a sort of clear plastic and run through a huge underwater aquarium full of those ugly fish you get right at the bottom of the sea.
how cool would that be :laugh:

just get rid of the tube trains and we'll have it as a cycle super-highway instead.
 

chap

Senior Member
Location
London, GB
Dayvo said:
Good idea in theory, but I think it'd be a mugger's paradise! :thumbsup:

I concur, Elephant and Castle being a case in point. It's amazing the damage a few myopic uncaring(?) councillors/planners can do, decades on and the effect is still felt.
 
Top Bottom