The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having completed the weekly shop late this morning, it suddenly dawned on me that unless something unexpected happened with existing commitments, I was facing a challenge ride beginning at silly-o-clock, or it would have to be done 27/12 - 30/12, neither of which was an attractive option. So this lunchtime, with Mrs B out of the house for 2-3 hours, out came the bike.
Garmin claims an average of 5.5c, but the wind made it a lot colder and bloody hard work for almost all of the most exposed miles. (Crap route planning :whistle:). My body was OK thanks to the shop earlier in the day and feeling the bite of the wind and finger tips were (generally), only just the right of cool. The same however could not be said of my toes. Despite two pairs of socks, (albeit one thin pair), bootees and masking tape over ventilation holes on the soles, they were cold from 25 miles and they were just numb by the end of the ride. What I hadn't realised was just how cold they had got, until I had a lovely warm shower and then went through what felt like and eternity of :eek: as the circulation gradually returned to them.
Still home safely and the challenge completed and with luck one further ride in before the end of the year.
I am hoping to be in the challenge for 2019, but whether I complete will be another matter, as apart from daily challenges, I suspect some hip surgery may be coming over the horizon.

Get some of those disposal heat packs. For the really cold months popping one in each shoe/boot really helps. I find they last about 4 hours so long enough for the bulk of a metric century. They sell them (various brands) with hand versions (square) and foot versions (rounded). If you get the rounded versions they work just as well popped into the back of your gloves too on the *really* cold days. :-)

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Despite two pairs of socks, (albeit one thin pair), bootees and masking tape over ventilation holes on the soles, they were cold from 25 miles and they were just numb by the end of the ride. What I hadn't realised was just how cold they had got,
Get some of those disposal heat packs.
I use these when it's really cold (with winter boots, neoprene overshoes and mudguards) having suffered frost bite and frostnip in most of my toes bitd.
https://hothands.com/products/
I use the insoles (bought in a 10 pack) but maybe the toe ones would do.

steverob

Guru
Figuring that lot out was very difficult due to the variety of posting styles. Most people add a post at the end. Two (@Sbudge and @steverob) add a single ride post at the end and edit the January post, and three (@13 rider, @StuartG, @gbs) editing the January post only as per the original instructions. Everyone else is adding new posts, except for that awkward bugger @Dogtrousers who not only adds new posts but deletes all previous posts.

Here's hoping for a bit more consistency in the 2019 :mrpig: ;)

We just like keeping you on your toes. Can't make it too easy! ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
It looks like we have 15 finishers so far, with two still out on the road

Congratulations to
@Bazzer
@Sea of vapours
@cosmicbike
@Ajax Bay
@Goonerobes
@ColinJ
@Sbudge
@steverob
@Ice2911
@Lilliburlero
@Dogtrousers
@Donger
@Brandane
@13 rider
@StuartG

And encouragement to @GuyBoden and @gbs who have just December to go

And further encouragement to @Cranky Knee Girl who crashed out in Feb and injured her Cranky Finger but re-mounted for the rest of the year, but hasn't posted December yet.

Figuring that lot out was very difficult due to the variety of posting styles. Most people add a post at the end. Two (@Sbudge and @steverob) add a single ride post at the end and edit the January post, and three (@13 rider, @StuartG, @gbs) editing the January post only as per the original instructions. Everyone else is adding new posts, except for that awkward bugger @Dogtrousers who not only adds new posts but deletes all previous posts.

Well done all. FWIW @Dogtrousers I have an Excel file running for 2018 that I used to keep track, but you beat me too it. Story of my life:smile:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
It looks like we have 15 finishers so far, with two still out on the road

Congratulations to
@Bazzer
@Sea of vapours
@cosmicbike
@Ajax Bay
@Goonerobes
@ColinJ
@Sbudge
@steverob
@Ice2911
@Lilliburlero
@Dogtrousers
@Donger
@Brandane
@13 rider
@StuartG

And encouragement to @GuyBoden and @gbs who have just December to go

And further encouragement to @Cranky Knee Girl who crashed out in Feb and injured her Cranky Finger but re-mounted for the rest of the year, but hasn't posted December yet.

Well done all, I crashed in Feb and smashed my face and finger, well cranky I was. Still needing to find the oomph to get December done and retain some cycling dignity.

I've been posting once per month and deleting previous posts too.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Can we not go back to everyone posting at the end of the thread? It's been a bit chaotic and hard to follow this year.

I agree, just didn't want to get shot down again like last year:smile:

Can we not go back to everyone posting at the end of the thread? It's been a bit chaotic and hard to follow this year.

Which way are you arguing, or requesting, there? The negative can be read either way equally easily. So, are you saying a) everyone should *only* post at the end of the thread, or b) we should *not* post at the end of the thread? (I assume it's (a) but thought I'd better check .... )

gbs

Guru
Job done, 114k today on a flat Thames valley route in near perfect conditions. However it felt v hard, indeed harder than any ride that I can recall this year. I also completed another challenge - 10,000k+ for the year. So I am feeling rather self satisfied - no doubt the club run on Saturday will give me another perspective.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Which way are you arguing, or requesting, there? The negative can be read either way equally easily. So, are you saying a) everyone should *only* post at the end of the thread, or b) we should *not* post at the end of the thread? (I assume it's (a) but thought I'd better check .... )

Hmmm. It is a bit ambiguous. Your interpretation is correct.

I meant "can't we go back to everyone posting at the end" as in "would this be impossible? I think it would be spiffing if we did"

Yes, option a, new post with all qualifying rides at the end of the thread. Keeps the thread alive, and lets us know when somebody has completed a qualifying ride.

Top Bottom