The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
depressing moment when all your goals and totals reset to zero..

Ahhh...... but that is resolved by having goals, and hence totals, which are longer than a year. My 'century of metric centuries', for example, is eight years and four months long. Admittedly, I didn't think of it as a goal until yesterday but, having spotted it, it's firmly on my virtual list now.

si_c

Guru
Ah yes, that depressing moment when all your goals and totals reset to zero...and it's a cold January morning!:cold:
I'm quite looking forward to it on the one hand as I've missed all of my goals for this year.

Ahhh...... but that is resolved by having goals, and hence totals, which are longer than a year. My 'century of metric centuries', for example, is eight years and four months long. Admittedly, I didn't think of it as a goal until yesterday but, having spotted it, it's firmly on my virtual list now.
Yep, I spotted that one too. Alas it will most likely coincide with the end of next year's metric century challenge anyway (assuming I do a similar number next year).

I sacrificed clarity for brevity there. The 'century of metric centuries' is actually 'a century of consecutive months which include at least one metric century', so you can't count more than one a month and you can't miss a month. Hence it's eight years four months and missing a single month is a fail.

EDITED: changed 'can't do' to 'can't count' - it's 'at least one a month for a hundred, consecutive months'. Tricky, these definitions ...

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I sacrificed clarity for brevity there. The 'century of metric centuries' is actually 'a century of consecutive months which include at least one metric century', so you can't count more than one a month and you can't miss a month. Hence it's eight years four months and missing a single month is a fail.

EDITED: changed 'can't do' to 'can't count' - it's 'at least one a month for a hundred, consecutive months'. Tricky, these definitions ...

No pressure then to continue. :laugh:

Having said that, I have sometimes dragged myself out of bed at silly-o-clock in order to fit one of the challenges I am in, with other commitments to save a fail. Which reminds me I have 21 days less commitments left to complete this challenge. :ohmy:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
No pressure then to continue. :laugh:

Having said that, I have sometimes dragged myself out of bed at silly-o-clock in order to fit one of the challenges I am in, with other commitments to save a fail. Which reminds me I have 21 days less commitments left to complete this challenge. :ohmy:
You and me both.
Not only that, but it's only twenty one days until you're 'not out' again ^_^
I know I'm not out until I'm out again but I am really fed up that I'm not coming to the conclusion of my third consecutive year of 100km, all for the sake of a few days as it was only a minorish injury just at the wrong point in the month. I'm only on 9 months and it seems such a long haul to get back to even two years. Really I should be looking at least at imperials, as everyone I know is on Rrty and that seems so much more worthy.

Lunatic imperials for me next year, possibly.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've been doing spreadsheets all day, acronyms are beyond me, please enlighten! Or should that be MCaHMC? Metric century and half metric century?
Those spreadsheets must be really tiring - ha ha - the one we are talking about here, the M-etric C-entury a M-onth C-hallenge! :okay:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Congratulations!

Next year, you have the opportunity of the quadruple, achieved by simply adding in the Lunacy Challenge. And since you're already doing the Imperial Century Challenge there's really only one way to go, and that's directly to the next higher obvious target, that being 200km ..... Good luck with that then ^_^

Now there's an idea. Maybe not a good one, but an idea none the less. I'll follow your lead:okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My metric century on Sunday started to revive a saddle sore that I developed riding the same bike in Wales earlier in the year. I use the same type of saddle on all of my bikes so it is a bit odd that it is just this bike causing the problem. It must be due to a subtle difference in riding position. I'll try adjusting the setup to be closer to that of my best bike.

I've stayed off the bike since Sunday (apart from a quick trip to the shops) to give my bum a chance to heal before my final required half-century ride of the year which I aim to tackle on Friday. I'll make sure that I get 50 km in, but if I feel comfortable then I'll do the extra distance to make it a 50-miler.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Having completed the weekly shop late this morning, it suddenly dawned on me that unless something unexpected happened with existing commitments, I was facing a challenge ride beginning at silly-o-clock, or it would have to be done 27/12 - 30/12, neither of which was an attractive option. So this lunchtime, with Mrs B out of the house for 2-3 hours, out came the bike.
Garmin claims an average of 5.5c, but the wind made it a lot colder and bloody hard work for almost all of the most exposed miles. (Crap route planning :whistle:). My body was OK thanks to the shop earlier in the day and feeling the bite of the wind and finger tips were (generally), only just the right of cool. The same however could not be said of my toes. Despite two pairs of socks, (albeit one thin pair), bootees and masking tape over ventilation holes on the soles, they were cold from 25 miles and they were just numb by the end of the ride. What I hadn't realised was just how cold they had got, until I had a lovely warm shower and then went through what felt like and eternity of :eek: as the circulation gradually returned to them.
Still home safely and the challenge completed and with luck one further ride in before the end of the year.
I am hoping to be in the challenge for 2019, but whether I complete will be another matter, as apart from daily challenges, I suspect some hip surgery may be coming over the horizon.

Top Bottom