The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I did another ride along the John Muir Way last weekend. It's a great ride but ridiculously variable. In sections it's asphalt, well signed, with solar powered LEDs all along the route. In other sections it's just a strip of grass (e.g. "Becky's Strip") between fields. Certainly not suitable for a road bike in places but great if you're on at least a CX.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha ha - I got caught out with @Littgull a couple of months ago. I too had been optimistic with my numbers, didn't bother taking lights, and ended up chasing him in the dark!

We plan to get a moderately hilly metric century in on Thursday (1,600 - 1,700 m of ascent) and will have 7 hours of daylight so we should be fine, but we do have the habit of meandering along chatting on our rides so time just drifts away. I have already put lights on the bike, just in case.
We did our ride yesterday and we were really lucky with the weather - it was a little chilly for the first hour but we soon warmed up. The sun appeared after that and was with us the rest of the day.

After 3 hours of pleasant meandering we found a picnic site in a steep-sided dip near Beacon Fell and stopped there for 20 minutes to refuel and chat. A nice location for a break, but going straight into the 15+% climb back out of the dip from a cold start wasn't quite so pleasant! :laugh:

I had planned the route to bring us back to the northern side of Longridge Fell. There is a steep road from there up Jeffrey Hill which Brian and I had descended several times in the past, but neither of us had ever climbed it so we thought we'd give it a go this time ...

We were pacing ourselves to do the ride in 7 hours or less to get us back to Blackburn in time for the 16:18 train back to Todmorden. When we got to the foot of Jeffrey Hill we were still on schedule but didn't really have a lot of time in hand so we needed to press on. And then we saw a sign - ROAD CLOSED for road repairs!

We hadn't come all that way to give up and go round the Fell instead, and besides - we didn't have time to do that or we would miss our train and have to wait nearly an hour for the next one. We decided to ignore the sign and turned up the hill anyway. It is usually possible to get by roadworks on bikes. If we couldn't get through, fair enough, but at least we'd have tried.

It was as tough as expected. Definitely at least 20% and maybe nearer 25% as we got up to the roadworks. I certainly felt the extra 4 kgs weight of my Cannondale CX bike compared to its lightweight brother. Fortunately, the works were restricted to the sides of the road and there was enough of a gap to squeeze through. The young workers gave us a lot of vocal support as we winched our way past them!

We did a nice long and fast descent off the Fell down to Ribchester Bridge and then climbed back up through Langho and eventually up to Top of Ramsgreave above Blackburn. The sun was setting so we put our lights on and then plunged down into town.

Time was tight but we made it despite getting stuck at a few sets of traffic lights. We got to the station with 4 minutes to spare and went up to the platforms but discovered that all of the electronic signs were out of order. Then we spotted a train ready to leave on the platform behind us. Its sign showed 'Rochdale' and Rochdale comes after Todmorden on our route so we assumed that was our train and hopped on board with our bikes. The doors closed and off we went. And then the guard announced that it was the Bolton train, not ours...

Damn - I had noticed when looking at the timetables that there was an alternative train out of Blackburn via Bolton and Manchester, but it would cost more and take an hour longer so I had put that one out of my mind. It had been due to leave 1 minute after the one we'd intended to catch but that must have been delayed. If the platform signs had been working we wouldn't have made that mistake. Our tickets were not valid on that train so we thought that we might have to argue with the guard, but nobody came to check the tickets. We also thought that the train would get crammed with commuters at Manchester but there was another train on our route after 5pm but before us and that seemed to have taken the bulk of them. We were in the last carriage and most of the remaining home-bound commuters had filled the first few carriages so we didn't end up in an horrendous crush after all.

When we got to Rochdale there was a train to Todmorden waiting on the adjacent platform so I said goodbye to Brian and got straight onboard.

It had been an unexpectedly pleasant mid-November day and we'd made the most of it. It's a pity that we messed up the train home but a wasted hour wasn't really a big deal.

So, only one more metric century needed to complete another year! I doubt that I will be lucky enough to do it on a day as mild and sunny as that one but hopefully a decent opportunity will come along early in December so I can get it done and not have to fret about it later in the month.

PS My Garmin clocked it at 1,800 m of ascent. I'm not sure where the extra 100-150 m came from - possibly from a couple of minor adjustments to the route?

gbs

Guru
Yesterday, for the second successive day, I posted a 100k ride, 31st of the year.

As readers of my previous comment on this blog may recall I will not be on t.he bike again before 13th of December. So my challenge depends upon weather conditions being favourable on one of the 7 or 8 days that I will be free to ride in December. Good luck to you all and I hope you do not use up all the fine weather.

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
5th Jan 101km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
8th Jan 100km: Appleton, Arley, Tabley, Knutsford, Goostrey, Hulme Walfield and back.
26th Jan 100km: Appleton, Arley, Tabley, Knutsford, Goostrey, Hulme Walfield and back.
2nd Feb 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Mobberley, Catchpenny, Reedsmere, Gawsworth, Marton, Swettenham, Goostrey, Plumley, Pickmere, Appleton.
16th Feb 100km: Appleton, Arley, Tabley, Knutsford, Goostrey, Hulme Walfield and back.
20th Feb 108km: Appleton, Acton Bridge, Whitegate, Little Budworth, Oulton Park, Wettenhall, Nantwich and back.
22nd Feb 102km: Lymm, Dunham, Ashley, Mobberley, Jodrell Bank, Redesmere, Gawsworth, Swettenham, Plumley, Pickmere, Appleton.
26th Feb 104km: Appleton, Hoo Green, Mobberley, Jodrell Bank, Goostrey, Middlewich, Plumley, Pickmere, Grappenhall.
7th Mar 101km: Appleton, Arley, Tabley, Knutsford, Goostrey, Hulme Walfield and back.
9th Mar 102km: Lymm, Dunham, Ashley, Mobberley, Jodrell Bank, Redesmere, Gawsworth, Swettenham, Plumley, Pickmere, Appleton
14th Mar 101km: Walton, Hatton, Whitley, Arley, Rostherne, Tatton, Pickmere, Anderton boat lift, Acton Bridge, Hatton, Walton
20th Mar 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
26th Mar 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
29th Mar 102km: Lymm, Dunham, Ashley, Mobberley, Jodrell Bank, Redesmere, Gawsworth, Swettenham, Plumley, Pickmere, Appleton.
5th April 108km: Appleton, Acton Bridge, Whitegate (Road closed, detour), Little Budworth, Oulton Park, Wettenhall, Nantwich and back.
11th April, 102km: Lymm, Dunham, Ashley, Mobberley, Jodrell Bank, Redesmere, Gawsworth, Swettenham, Plumley, Pickmere, Appleton.
18th April, 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
20th April, 104km: Appleton, Antrobus, Great Budworth, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Delamere, Kesall, Clotton, Huxley, Beeston Castle.
27th April, 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
30th April, 103km: Lymm, Dunham, Astley, Mobberley, The Wizard, Henbury, Gawsworth, North Rode, Congleton, Swettenham, Plumley, Pickmere, Appleton.
10th May 102km: Appleton, Antrobus, Pickmere, Plumley, Goostrey, Brereton Nature Reserve and back.
17th May 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Tatton, Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
2nd June 162km: Cyclechat Cheshire Ride 2018.
4th June 108km: Appleton, Acton Bridge, Whitegate, Little Budworth, Oulton Park, Wettenhall, Nantwich and back.
11th June, 130km: Appleton, Antrobus, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Delamere, Kesall, Huxley, Beeston Castle. (Plus a detour around Hart hill to the Ice Cream Farm)
13th June 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
15th June 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Tatton, Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
21st June 108km: Appleton, Acton Bridge, Whitegate, Little Budworth, Oulton Park, Wettenhall, Nantwich and back.
25th June 101km: Lymm, Rostherne, Mobberley, The Wizard, Henbury, Gawsworth, Marton, Jodrell Bank, Goostry, Plumley, Tabley, High Legh, Appleton.
27th June 102km: Appleton, Antrobus, Pickmere, Plumley, Goostrey, Brereton Nature Reserve and back.
30th June 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Tatton, Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
3rd July, 108km: Appleton, Antrobus, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Delamere, Kesall, Huxley, Beeston Castle. (Plus a detour due to TV filming a car chase.)
5th July, 101Km: Cheshire Cycling TT Course J2/9, plus getting there and back.
9th July, 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
11th July 100km: Lymm, (detour Hoo Green, Pickmere,) Plumley,Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
14th July 100km: Appleton, Pickmere, Peover, Twemlow Green, Eaton, North Rode and back.
16th July 102km: Lymm, Dunham, Ashley, Mobberley, Jodrell Bank, Redesmere, Gawsworth, Swettenham, Plumley, Pickmere, Appleton.
18th July, 101km: Appleton, Antrobus, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Delamere, Mickle Trafford, Chester Millennium Greenway, Chester Castle.
23rd July, 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
25th July 108km: Appleton, Acton Bridge, Whitegate, Little Budworth, Oulton Park, Wettenhall, Nantwich (Nantwich Show) back.
31st July 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
2nd Aug 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Tatton, Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
5th Aug 122km: Arley, Goostrey, Swettenham, Brookhouse, Winterley, Church Minshall, Wettenhall, Oulton Park, Whitegate, Acton bridge, Arley.
9th Aug 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
14th Aug 100km: Appleton, Pickmere, Peover, Twemlow Green, Eaton, North Rode and back.
16th Aug, 108km: Appleton, Antrobus, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Delamere, Kesall, Huxley, Beeston Castle.
18th Aug 100km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back. (Plus detour around Tatton Park.)
21st Aug 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Tatton, Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
30th Aug 100km: Appleton, Pickmere, Peover, Twemlow Green, Eaton, North Rode and back. (Plus detour to Bosley.)
10th Sept 101km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
22nd Sept 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Tatton, Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
26th Sept 101km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
28th Sept 101km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
5th Oct 100km: Lymm, Rostherne, Tatton, Goostrey, Marton, Gawsworth and back.
7th Oct 108km: Appleton, Acton Bridge, Whitegate, Little Budworth, Oulton Park, Wettenhall, Nantwich and back.
10th Oct, 108km: Appleton, Antrobus, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Delamere, Kesall, Huxley, Beeston Castle.
23rd Nov 101km: Lymm, Hoo Green, Plumley, Goostrey, Giant's Wood and back.
Well done Guy still in that's what count just 1 more will do glad you made it :thumbsup:

I've managed my Nov 100km ride today,

Excellent stuff. Well done for that, assuming you've not re-damaged the ankle anyway! It was a tad cold out today, to say the least.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Get in there. Scraped in again for 100k. I was asked to do the social club run, a 50 mile week. As the start point is 7.5km away I have 15 km done so I choose a route based on a bit of a change, an ethical amount of climbing to not be unethically flat, and change of cafe. Only 4 of us in the end, but very enjoyable. I had warned everyone we were going a little off piste (Strawberry Line, don't come on best carbon 23 bike) and the cafe stop wasn't until 58km (bring plenty food/drink). Nobody reads what you write so complaints about not bypassing Strawberry Line, and that the cafe was too late. :laugh:I was selfish, I was ride leader so I chose the route to make sure I got my 100km Headwind up Cheddar Gorge was a chilly highlight! Didn't get wet.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1984257445

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Mission accomplished. "Once More Unto Agincourt" audax done (Tewkesbury-Monmouth via Symonds Yatt and back .... 114Km) That's 48 months now. Bring on next year. Good luck to everyone else who is still in, and better luck next year to those unfortunate enough to miss out this time around.
Pasting @Donger post across from the 'ride recording' thread.
Some of the 'Once more into Agincourt' 100 audax riders were arriving as I, with some other latecomers (34 minutes late for a 0730 start), set off on the KPC&C 200 audax (from the Royal Hop Pole, Tewkesbury; out to Ludlow, across into Wales (Presteigne) and back). The weather dried up (a lot) by 8, as forecast, so starting late was a bonus: I rode round without donning a jacket. Needed lights for the last hour and, earlier had lit up as we cycled into the mist at 1000 feet in the 'Lingen Alps'.

Ajax Bay

Guru
And I'm out........... Lost drive 85km into Metric century. Freehub failed with no warning signs, no noises, just comic spinning legs. Now theres a lesson in leaving one's metric century to the end of the month. Oh well, half century fall back it is then. Good luck guys.
Sorry to bring this up - I don't come here often, and I acknowledge that this is not 'repairs and maintenance'.
Hard luck.
@Osprey when this happened (and I guess it could happen to anyone) did you consider putting the chain on the small ring and a middle sprocket and, using the cable ties you carry. securing the cassette to the spokes of your rear wheel? That should have given you a fixed gear to get home on. I guess you'd also need to shorten the chain (with the chain tool you carry) as the return run of the chain would sometimes be in tension. Perhaps you could avoid that complication by fixing it on large and large and the run through the RD cage would be straight enough. But I think you'd want that large sprocket to use to 'anchor' the cable ties.
Your predicament has inspired me to try this out (without forcing a freehub failure as a catalyst) sometime to see if I can make it work. I'm about to need a chain change anyway. And maybe add a couple more cable ties to my spares/tools pack.

Job done for the 2018 challenge. Definitely tougher this year than last but that's mainly due to business travel getting in the way. I only managed April by hiring a bike and doing a 34 degree (average!) century in the desert. Finished it yesterday riding along the Thames out to Dartford and back. Nice ride except for a strong headwind all the way back. Thanks everyone for their support and encouragement. Not sure I can manage an imperial century challenge for next year but it's tempting....

Congratulations, and if the Imperial is tricky then as an alternative, more flexible option you could consider the Lunacy Challenge next year.

Interesting idea... I shall ponder it. :-) I don't mind riding in Winter, I commute after all, but the issue for me about imperials at that time of the year is this 'getting up early at the weekend' nonsense! lol

Top Bottom