The Metric Century (100KM) A Month Challenge ChatZone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I go further. But I never get faster.

I wish I did, but I'm forever stuck at around 20km/h. Less for hilly routes. A lot less for very hilly routes. A bit more for flat routes. An extra bit more for flat routes with roaring tailwind.
You and me the same!! Totally stuck at the 20km/h I just keep on grinding away.

Should be an amendment:
Rule #10 It never gets easier you just go further. Faster is only in your dreams.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've just been browsing through my Ride With GPS records. The ride I did yesterday is, more or less, a regular route of mine.

I have a correction to the rule: "It doesn't get easier. But you do get a bit slower".

:surrender:
I have got slower, partly due to age, partly due to residual damage from illness in 2012/2013, but probably mainly due to the fact that I am only riding 5,600 - 6,400 kms (3,500 - 4,000 miles) a year these days as opposed to the 5,000+ that I did at one time.

I enjoy my riding but I would like to get faster so I can slow down again when I am in my 70s/80s but still be doing the speed I am doing now, in my 60s! :laugh:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Left it a bit late, but January done and dusted today.

Fiona R

Had a lovely time on Saturday, the Jack and Grace 100km audax from Bristol up through the flatlands of Gloucestershire and looping back to Bristol.

It wasn't icy, it rained a bit, everyone was covered in c**p (major mudguard post started up on AUK Facebook page :laugh: as a result) and the usual stiff headwind home. Rode with a group I hadn't seen for a while which was lovely, husband blew his sidewall out three quarters of the way that not even a gel wrapper would hold, fortunately fairly near Cam station so it took him longer to get back to arrivée than me via foot/train/uber/car to pick up bike from Cam as no lock so bike would have walked from Parkway, and back to Almondsbury where I was well settled in with Stowfords at the pub.) :cheers:

Proper audacious audax, quite pleased with January. So far I'm comfortably in in all three challenges with separate qualifying rides, with a lunatic back up too :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done! You put me to shame.

I was booked in for an audacious audax on Saturday. Unfortunately as I'd already done my 100k and 100 miles for Jan, and I had a load of jobs to get done I wasn't feeling audacious enough to get up before 5am to get the train to the start. I made do with a some un-audacious hill repeats instead.
Yes - well done!

You are lucky that you have the option of catching trains on Saturdays - our Saturday service has been trashed for months by the Northern rail strikes. My regular riding partner @Littgull no longer drives so we can only currently do long Saturday rides starting from home. (No - we are not going to catch a train to somewhere else on a Friday and stop over, before anyone suggests that! :okay:)

PS Correction - I have had a few lifts from @Oldfentiger to distant ride HQs, but otherwise such Saturday rides are not on.

Fiona R

Well done! You put me to shame.

I was booked in for an audacious audax on Saturday. Unfortunately as I'd already done my 100k and 100 miles for Jan, and I had a load of jobs to get done I wasn't feeling audacious enough to get up before 5am to get the train to the start. I made do with a some un-audacious hill repeats instead.
OH would have happily not done it, but rarely ride with him so he had no idea that I have more than enough rides for challenges and I didn't need it for my gran Fondo, he knows I have aimed for 100km per month for last three years on Strava, just the one month I missed. Very fortunate that we were only a mile from a station when he needed it due to tyre, no point in me costing an extra ticket was there?! I'm no l;onger allowed to drive so I couldn't just retrieve him with the car after

gbs

Guru
Another 100k ride yesterday. Nothing exceptional to report other than coffee and cake at 95k was needed and enjoyed and CRAMP, for the first time ever. Just a twinge in the last few hundred metres and then, after some stretching and at least 30 mins after the ride was completed, disabling cramp in both legs - so severe that I couldn't get up from the exercise mat for at least 5 minutes. I was riding the Croix de Fer, the heaviest of my bikes, but I doubt that was the cause - I did several rides of 85k or so last year on that bike without discomfort; my position was unchanged; I was by the usual advice under-hydrated but that is normal (for me).

I will research further. Meanwhile comments please - what are the antidotes?

Last edited:

Fiona R

Another 100k ride yesterday. Nothing exceptional to report other than coffee and cake at 95k was needed and enjoyed and CRAMP, for the first time ever. Just a twinge in the last few hundred metres and then, after some stretching and at least 30 mins after the ride was completed, disabling cramp in both legs - so severe that i couldn't get up from the exercise mat for at least 5 minutes. I was riding the Croix de Fer, the heaviest of my bikes, but I doubt that was the cause - I did several rides of 85k or so last year on that bike without discomfort; my position was unchanged; I was by the usual advice under-hydrated but that is normal (for me).

I will research further. Meanwhile comments please - what are the antidotes?
drink....drink drink....high 5 tabs in drink...keep drinking. So many guys I ride with barely drink one bottle in 100km, I often get through two in 50 in winter even. Also drink copiously the days before, apparently your body adapts so you won't be continuously stopping for hedge breaks if you get used to drinking lots.

Top Bottom